Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ever reach the “why bother” point in your life?

nan-wpg:
    Two inquisitive Captain Obvious questions:
    1) What specific manufacturer/brand and trade name/type of "spray-oil" do you use to keep the rust from forming on your vehicle?
    2a) What specific Rupe`s model polisher did you buy and what specific manufacturer(s) and type(s) of pads and backing plate diameter size are you using with your Rupe`s polisher? Did you buy an optional anti-vibration side-handle for it?
    2b) Did you look or consider other manufacturer`s polisher and what made you decide on the Rupe`s??

I ask because I STILL have not made up my mind on a "different" polisher to replace/supplant my now-getting-old Porter-Cable 7424 Dual-Action Orbital.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

It is a hobby you can fall down the rabbit hole! No doubt. I do not enjoy the spring polish. I do enjoy what is after. Normal weekend washes.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes CleanIt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I just find time`s a bit more limited now than during the pandemic. So I`m looking for tools or products that will help me reach the results I want most quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t got to the, "why bother" point, but I`m no where near as fanatical as I used to be. I take a much more pragmatic approach and do what needs to be done from a preservation standpoint and/or what work gives me the best bang for my time.

I still get great joy out of washing my car, wiping it down, and cleaning up the interior. I really like the results of doing the polishing/coating, but loosing 12~14 hours to do the whole process and the work involved doesn`t really give me the same joy it used to. Fortunately, now that I use coatings the full detail job only happens once every couple of years vs. every six months like it did when I used sealants.

These days, I get more joy out of going places and doing things in our cars than I do actually working on them.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes CleanIt, dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    nan-wpg:
    Two inquisitive Captain Obvious questions:
    1) What specific manufacturer/brand and trade name/type of "spray-oil" do you use to keep the rust from forming on your vehicle?
    2a) What specific Rupe`s model polisher did you buy and what specific manufacturer(s) and type(s) of pads and backing plate diameter size are you using with your Rupe`s polisher? Did you buy an optional anti-vibration side-handle for it?
    2b) Did you look or consider other manufacturer`s polisher and what made you decide on the Rupe`s??

I ask because I STILL have not made up my mind on a "different" polisher to replace/supplant my now-getting-old Porter-Cable 7424 Dual-Action Orbital.

1. Rustcheck. It’s a wd-40 type spray applied in the door panels/rockers and a thicker oil on the undercarriage. It’s done yearly. My guy is a rust proof ER only (some do rust “on the side”). The application is more important than the product.

2.a rupes 15mm long throw, and the rupes smaller 3” pad model (can’t recal model #). Rupes pads all colors, and also rupes blue and yellow foam pads. Rupes fine, and coarse polish, and rupes Uno protect.

2b “I’ve been everywhere…man (Johnny cash)”, lol. Tried many different polishers, forced rotation, rupes, cheapo Bauer from harbor freight.

I chose rupes because:

1. You will not find a smoother operating polisher. My joints no longer ache after polishing. Priceless.
    2. I like a system approach. Got tired of trying dozens of polish/pad combos. As I get older I just want to simplify.
    3. I wanted to support more local as opposed to Chinese made knock offs. Simply a personal decision.

no regrets with the rupes. Very happy. I did buy afternaerket backing plates (excel) do simulate the,washer mod.

works like a charm. Didn’t absolutely need it as I was getting real good with the normal backer but the mod makes it even easier (as I get older).

I still have a porter cable and an “ultimate detailing machine”. Delegated to wax application. They still work but no where near the smoothness of rupes.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, threads like this bring out my Inner Autopian Heretic

Hey, priorities/interests/responsibilities change. How well-Detailed a vehicle is only matters as much as the owner thinks it does.

At various times in my life, I`ve simply *stopped* doing this stuff so I could focus on things that mattered more to me. I generally buy a Disposable Vehicle and just run it through the carwash as needed.

(Ya know...just FWIW...the most fulfilled, most successful, and most downright *happy* people I`ve ever known IRL... never spent any time/effort/thought on Detailing. Never. Those in this demographic who liked cars paid somebody else to do such stuff.)

IF (so far a deal-breaking "if") we had decent Pros around here I might do that myself; nobody else can read/learn/exercise/etc. etc. etc. for me, but somebody else *could* Detail the vehicles. Well, if I could find somebody competent. There`s only so much time, and my Life can get busy. I want to prioritize things that nobody except *me* can do. But unfortunately, it seems that "keep the vehicles looking decent" (i.e., marring-free ) is still one of those things that apparently only I can do

Post Thanks / Like

Judging by the way I see the “pros” around here where I live “detail” a car (ie scrub the living hell out of a bumper for example) there’s no way anyone is going to get a marring free car unless they learn to detail themselves. I am just astonished by the kind of work people pay for on their cars. It sincerely saddens me. These last several years I’ve been blessed with starting out with marring free, new cars. Then it’s easy to keep them that way. Just touch and wash them correctly. It’s been a really long time since I picked up a polisher.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m now thinking of my bi annual “polishing” less of a paint correction/perfection, and more of an “intense” paint cleaning I.e 2 quick passes with a quality abrasive and how ever many swirls it takes out, well that’s it. Paint will be super clean, and topped with a quality sealant/wax to make subsequent washing easier/fast.

I do enjoy the wash process, rinse/foam/wash/rins/dry w drying aid.

Post Thanks / Like

For myself, trying a whole bunch of different things was incredibly entertaining. While I may have told myself it was all a means to an end with regards to finding what worked for me, the journey was often more entertaining than what I convinced myself was the destination.

Now that I`ve found my destination, a lower effort strategy with my `winners`, the need to consistently pursue the latest and greatest has waned. There`s always going to be something new, some claimed next best product but the differences appear so minor as be nearly irrelevant and likely wouldn`t provide any truly significant advantage to me.

Our `cars that matter` are protected in the fullest, easiest manner known to me so now on a personal level, enjoying that easy to maintain protection from behind the wheel takes precedence over the search for something better. Our daily drivers are done in a manner that aligns with their usage while still meeting my aesthetic preferences. I`ll still try new things on them occasionally but for curiosity`s sake and a bit of easy entertainment, not the never ending quest for a perceived `best`.

And it`s an approach that makes the monthly credit card statements more palatable as well

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Likes dgage liked this post
    Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

As a senior weekend warrior, I have enjoyed detailing my cars and a few neighbors. Now I have learned to go with the flow, not chasing that swirl, scratch free car. Life is a lot simpler now

Post Thanks / Like

I`m getting close to this mindset, even though i have only been detailing/polishing for about 3 years. If i had a garage queen it would be different.

It was a nice feeling when i got back to Canada about 3 weeks ago - after 3.5mth overseas- and my car looked relatively shiny and it`s still beading decently! It was driven very little in that time and we get a lot of rain.
    Likes dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Judging by the way I see the “pros” around here where I live “detail” a car (ie scrub the living hell out of a bumper for example) there’s no way anyone is going to get a marring free car unless they learn to detail themselves. I am just astonished by the kind of work people pay for on their cars.
    Funny you mention this. I noticed a car in the lot at work the other day and it was covered in horrible rotary buffer holograms. From what I know of the owner, I really doubt they did the work themselves and probably paid someone to have the damage installed. I may not get a vehicle 100% perfect, but I`m at least able to make it look better than when I started.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes PoisonTheWell liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Heh, I`ve been at that point for a few months now. The car hasn`t been washed since early fall, it`s filthy inside & out and right now I really don`t care. Perhaps it`s because my career is winding down (11 months and COUNTING) and my workplace is EXTREMELY TOXIC..it`s sucked the joy of life right out of me, including, but not limited to the joys of cleaning my car.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Likes 65chevy liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless you are entering a car show, a perfect finish is a recipe for frustration, especially on dark colors. Do a polish once a year. I flattened the orange peel on my car by polishing over the years and ended up with some paint failure.

Post Thanks / Like

I get this. We have been leasing my wife`s car. I bought the gallon concentrate of nanoskin supercharger (1:100 dilution, I will never ever run out of it).

I use it every time I wash. Just spray on while wet and then hose off and dry the car. It`s not bad and for the price, it`s amazing. After 3 years, the car still looked pretty good with just using this product. My truck that I own I go through he whole shebang process of ceramic coatings. I`ve asked myself so many times, what`s the point?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information