Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ever reach the “why bother” point in your life?

At 80 I still enjoy it…..It just takes a bit longer. Still crazy after all these years.
    I’d like to be able to walk away from it but just can’t.
    "If we weren`t all crazy..We`d all go insane" Jimmy Buffett
    Likes dgage, John U, 65chevy liked this post

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

After 45 plus years I`m in the same boat, it`s has gotten harder due to my heart condition and back. My cars are most of the time clean and protected from the elements but NOT swirl free. Just too much work for me and time....got to enjoy what life gives you.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!
    Likes dgage, John U, 65chevy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That new high-maintenance puppy will be here soon, and we`ll see if I can allocate time for my nutty washes once he`s here

Quote Originally Posted by imported_Blake View Post
    At 80 I still enjoy it…..It just takes a bit longer. Still crazy after all these years.
    I’d like to be able to walk away from it but just can’t.
    Good on you! You remind me of my late father, who was still helping me do his cars in his 80s.
    Likes 65chevy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It’s a disease. Just can’t say screw it. My “zone”.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    That new high-maintenance puppy will be here soon, and we`ll see if I can allocate time for my nutty washes once he`s here

Good on you! You remind me of my late father, who was still helping me do his cars in his 80s.
    Put a wash mitt on his tail and put him to work!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Put a wash mitt on [the new dog`s] tail and put him to work!
    That`d be one way for him to repay me for all the "how to act around vehicles" training I`ll have to put him through! Glad I didn`t get around to having paintwork done on the Tahoe..which is sure wandering away from its original beater-truck status, if only because the thing hasn`t gotten any worse over the past decade or so while other old trucks like it are falling to ruin.
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

For me it’s less of “why bother” but more like finding the balance between perfection and a good looking car. I’ve learned to live with some marring that only a detailer can see. Otherwise still keep to washing and vacuuming the car when dirty, which is about every other week. Weekly during the winter with salted roads. With that the ceramic coating helps and I still detail the cars and reapply every other year with top up sio2 spray every few months. Even then I still don’t chase perfection and good with the 90% detail.
    Likes CleanIt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve wavered between not caring much to being pretty rigorous about my cars’ appearance in various stages of my life. And right now, it really comes down to what the vehicle is being used for

Our goblin-hauling minivan(wife and I have 3 young boys): We intend to keep our van(‘15 Odyssey) for a very long time so it will be kept nice. I’ve been contemplating keeping a small hand-held vacuum and an interior detail kit in it to keep the inside clean. It’s mechanically sound and I can keep it that way for as long as my wife desires. The paint needs some correcting and a good lsp but it’s not an emergency yet

My daily: I don’t intend to keep my daily driver for a long haul so I’m not as fanatical about it. I am, however, looking at my next vehicle as something to be kept for a very long time. That vehicle will be kept in very good condition

Tow/excursion vehicle: This is tricky. I imagine keeping something like this really clean would be a Herculean effort but this is another that I would like to keep for a while. Especially if I can convince my wife to get one of my dream cars(Mercedes Gelandewagen, that will be a cherished member of the family). Anything like this that gets purchased will be kept clean and will have the worst of the marks corrected but there has to be some limits put on the upkeep

Post Thanks / Like

Im also 80 and yes it is hard to keep a car clean but I try.
    Likes GearHead_1, John U liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry A View Post
    Im also 80 and yes it is hard to keep a car clean but I try.
    I simply love reading posts like that
    Likes imported_Blake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I just find that it takes longer and I break it down into portions. Whatever works. It still looks as good when it’s finished. I almost hate to admit it but I‘ve learned more this year. Just love the new coatings.
    Likes Ssnimrod liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

After two back surgeries I can no longer do what I used to do, but I still have the desire to, and that drives me a little batty, lol. I still do a yearly polish but now I don’t wash the cars as often as I used to. I drive them through our local touchless car wash a few times when my back flares up and I can’t do a darn thing.

I hope everyone has been doing well as I don’t check in here as frequently as I used to do. I’m alive but have slowed down more than I ever thought I would. Take care.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob! I was wondering if you were ok. Glad to see you checking in!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I have to respond to this one, because for me it’s not so much ‘why bother’

Real life’s gotten in the way

I’m a cyclist and round about ten years ago was hit by a truck and thrown about twenty feet. Injuries were permanent and mainly soft tissue, nerve damage, spinal compression fractures, TBI. Spent a bit of time building out A/V systems and a theater since I couldn’t really move and am not easily entertained

Fast forward the recovery and I got back on bikes but family trauma ensued, increasing to the point I spent this last summer in Texas and brought a car back to Colorado, and winter was coming so a couple of weeks ago I completely rearranged my garage to fit another car and found all my bins of tools and product I’d neglected since I relocated into a different house somewhere in there

Guess I was a bit impressed by what age and temperature can do to chemicals. Suffice to say the road back has been long and tedious and detailing dropped off and on my radar for most of the decade, but I’m afraid I’m wanting to bother again – to a point

Oddly, the cars haven’t suffered as much as one might think

So I’m back on the site looking to duplicate a detailing station at my girlfriend’s new house and of course searching for advancements in products, sources, methods. I haven’t been around to miss the forum being offline, although it appears plenty of my old suppliers bit the dust in the interim

I’ve got say, geez guys, same rabbit hole but deeper and wider. I found some interesting product, to be sure. Coatings are outside my ambition at present. I filled a cart before thinking, hey what’s up with microfiber these days – and found another whole box of frogs. Same as ever

Cool part is seeing a lot of you guys I used to use as reference sources, and quite a few are still here, even in this thread
    It`s a healthy addiction. I can stop any time I want. No really.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess “why bother” was the wrong wording. I still “bother” but my focus is now completely different.

I used to be obsessed garage I.e always chasing the best product and going for an absolute “fresh off the production line” paint. Car was always washed no matter how many times it took.

don’t get me wrong. I still like a clean car, free from iron, sap, etc.

I just did my fall polish/wax/protect. I used several different products and honestly it all looked good.

my criteria is now “what’s easiest and fastest”.

‘’I’ve watched a lot of yvans videos (optimum and now diydetail).

rinseless wash, synergy like iron remover as a lube for clay towel, and SPRAY polish. I love optimum spray polish. I’ll never go back to cream polish.

gone is my paste wax, and cream sealants. Ceramic coating, and spray wax.

so now my cars don’t get a polish, they get a “super deep clean” with a spray polish and machine. Are there scratches? Yup. Are there swirls? Yup. Do I care? Nope.

you can’t see them unless you are in sunlight, and at the right angle, or looking for them with a swirl light. “Clean shiny scratches” like Mike philips used to say.

im slowly thinning the herd of product. Rinseless wash not just for the car, but also to wipe down the interior, and glass.
    Likes CleanIt liked this post

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information