Post Thanks / Like

Cheap interior paint already showing scratches

So my 2022 4 runner has a portion of satin painted interior and its showing a few tiny little scratches that are driving me right up the wall. It’s always clean and i’m using CG Total Interior. Is there a better way I can protect these painted plastics?

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cheap interior paint already showing scratches

Do you have a picture of that trim piece? Is it that long piece that goes under the dash board and above the glove box, that long piece?

Is it really Satin, which means it has a little shine ?

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

It’s these pieces here. I do believe its a satin finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Prevention - meaning keep crap away from there. Nothing is gonna protect it unless you do some PPF. Being more careful while in the car is how i prevent things like this in my cars
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

MOST scratches in interior plastic happen when individuals use their hand to wipe off dirt or dust just because it`s conveniently impulsive to do.
    The other thing is using paper toweling and ammonia-based window cleaners (Windex) to clean clear plastic (Lexan) or other plastic trim pieces. Not saying that is what you have done, but you have small scratches in your interior plastic trim and your question is how to remove or mitigate them.
    I do think that using Klasse All-In-One and a very soft flannel-type, low-nap microfiber and rubbing in a back-and-forth linear manner is one way to hide these minute scratches.
    For clear plastic (Lexan) like dashboard gauge lens or info/entertainment/radio lens I would use Plexus Plastic spray cleaner-polish or Meg`s Mirror-Glaze No. 17 Plastic Cleaner followed by their No.10 Plastic Polish again with the fore-mentioned soft microfiber. Yes, I have used the later Meg`s products on what looks like clear-coated colored interior plastic trim with "some" success.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Like Lonnie mentions indirectly, those areas are most likely molded plastic and not a painted area. Agree that wrapping it in some form of PPF is about the only sure method of protecting from scratches. Being careful not to rub or set anything on those places which can cause scratches along with using very soft cleaning towels are the only practical way to keep them free from scratches.

On a positive note, be happy that area isn`t piano black plastic! That stuff in interiors scratches when you just look at it.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doylee4693 View Post
    It’s these pieces here. I do believe its a satin finish.
    doylee4693 -

Tks for those pics !

Yes, that area is going to take some"use" marks, because of where it is..

And yes, it indeed looks like satin finished plastic.

Because it is satin finished, I would be very careful of what product you rub on it, because some products may remove the top layer satin finish and make it a different finish, which then means you have to do the entire piece to make it all "match"..

I never use any products on satin or flat finishes because of this.. I just clean them with something like 1Z/Einszett Cockpit Premium and that is it.

There may be something out there specifically for "flat" finishes that may be of help, I do not know..

The only other idea I can offer is to perhaps see into just replacing that console trim piece with a new one, and carefully, doing whatever you want to do to the old one, as an experiment, before you try it on the new one..

Yes, ppf is also an alternative, but then you have to put something on top of the ppf to protect it from getting scratched, too.. Yes, ppf is way more durable, and can be lightly polished, but I don`t know if they make a "satin finish" ppf, etc., either... Perhaps call a shop that does a lot of ppf and ask them ?

Good luck with this !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    doylee4693 -

Tks for those pics !

Yes, that area is going to take some"use" marks, because of where it is..

And yes, it indeed looks like satin finished plastic.

Because it is satin finished, I would be very careful of what product you rub on it, because some products may remove the top layer satin finish and make it a different finish, which then means you have to do the entire piece to make it all "match"..

I never use any products on satin or flat finishes because of this.. I just clean them with something like 1Z/Einszett Cockpit Premium and that is it.

There may be something out there specifically for "flat" finishes that may be of help, I do not know..

The only other idea I can offer is to perhaps see into just replacing that console trim piece with a new one, and carefully, doing whatever you want to do to the old one, as an experiment, before you try it on the new one..

Yes, ppf is also an alternative, but then you have to put something on top of the ppf to protect it from getting scratched, too.. Yes, ppf is way more durable, and can be lightly polished, but I don`t know if they make a "satin finish" ppf, etc., either... Perhaps call a shop that does a lot of ppf and ask them ?

Good luck with this !
    Dan F
    Xpel stealth made for satin finishes. Gives gloss paint a nice satin look as well if your into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Thread Information