Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Christmas Wish from Captain Obvious: KEEP THIS AUTOPIA FORUM ALIVE and GOING

Quote Originally Posted by bad penny View Post
    I may be totally wrong, but I don`t think PBMG is doing as well as when Max owned it.
    That may be, but perhaps Max wanted relentless growth so he could sell it, the current owners may be perfectly happy. Admittedly having the director of training leave probably didn`t help things, that guy was a big draw.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Christmas Wish from Captain Obvious: KEEP THIS AUTOPIA FORUM ALIVE and GOING

Let me be clear: I am NOT insinuating or implying that this Autopia Forum is being shut down or no longer being supported or in the process of being sold by Palm Beach Motoring Group or its affiliates. However, from other post about the lack of forum activity and the competition from other social media platforms pertaining to detailing, it could be deduced and concluded that, indeed, this is what is actually happening to and with this forum. As stated at the beginning of this thread, I am not affiliated with PBMG and am not privy to any of its personnel, operations, and financial considerations concerning this forum. If I have given this impression that this forum is in danger of being shut down or my information is misleading and "Fake News", please forgive me. My intent is, as stated in the thread topic title, to keep this forum alive and going.

Perhaps my information is very similar to Mark Twain`s experience when he left for England (Great Britain) to visit a cousin there. His cousin was sick in London and an American newspaper reporter confused his cousin with Samuel Langhorne Clemens (Mark Twain`s REAL name), and published a news article stating Mark Twin was dying. When asked about this by reporters, Mr. Twain made his famous quote, "The report of my death was an exaggeration." That could be also be applied to this thread about the hoped continuance for this forum.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

For me, Autopia Auto Detailing Forum is the BEST forum on the internet!!! The information on here is extremely valuable.

This format is much better than any "social media"...where today`s post is gone 2-3 days later. Never to be seen again!
    The information on Autopia Auto Detailing Forum is searchable on the forum and it can be found with a Google search!

There are articles about many products and interactions from the many members to assist the forum community members.
    This is truly a community!!!
    Folks are friendly and helpful, and Autopia Auto Detailing Forum is truly a huge blessing to the detailing community.

I feel many of the detailing folks here are a bit more seasoned than the Autogeekonline Auto Detailing Forum weekend newbies.
    What does that mean? When a member asks a question there are a lot of folks here that have "been there, done that".
    They offer their experience and are willing to offer their thoughts and opinion on the product(s) or detailing process.

If there is ANYTHING I can do to keep it up and running. Please reach out to me. I am happy to assist in any way I can.

AMiracleDetailing.com
    YouTube - Facebook - Instagram
    Likes 981 Cayman S, Lonnie, mc2hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well yes, I am resurrecting this thread to add a little personal insight/observation/theory why there is a reduction in this Autopia Forum`s participation by members and the detailing public in general.
    One BIG reason is the proliferation and ubiquitous use of Smart Phones over tablets and desktop or laptop PCs. Chances are pretty good that the vast majority of you Autopians who are reading this post are doing so on your Smart Phone, whether Android or Apple.
    I say that because I have FINALLY migrated to such a device out of necessity, as my very old-antiquated 3G-based LG palm phone is now obsolete due to that frequency being shut down by the FCC (Actually auctioned off for use by newer 4G & 5G technologies), so I was forced (actually given one by my carrier!) to get a new Smart Phone. As many of you are well aware of, it is a hand-held modern computer , phone, and camera in one device. The only disadvantage is the small display and lack of a full-size QWERTY keyboard. The keyboard-thing is minor, as many of you can "type" with your thumbs faster than most individuals can on a full-size QWERTY keyboard, thanks to the forced usage of the Smart Phone sub-QWERTY keyboard and self-developed methodology using your thumbs AND the built-in technology of word-recognition of typed text so you do not have to type out full words but merely tap on it to add that to your text sentence or search. OR you are using talk-and-text.
    What really competes with this forum is all the streaming content now available anywhere, anytime on such a Smart Phone mobile device. I say this because chances are many of you have or will be watching SOMETHING on your mobile device, whether it be sports, a movie, or your favorite TV streaming show and that takes up the vast majority your free time, leaving little or no time for viewing this forum`s content, let alone post anything detailing related. That`s my take on WHY this forum`s participation is reduced as well.
    I still use an old Windows 7-based laptop PC and the associated full QWERTY keyboard to do my forum posting. I am most familiar with it and like its BIG screen 17" compared to the 6x3" Smart Phone, BUT that may be changing as I become familiar with the Smart Phone. AND I still have an interest in detailing-related subjects that are posted here, not to mention my Captain Obvious questions and comments. Like I have stated before, this IS my "Social Media" platform. BUT that may be changing too in the future, seeing EVERYONE is on some form of Social Media, like Face Book (Meta), TicToc, Tweets. YouTube. You almost HAVE to be on them if you want to be in the know and connected with family and friends. Currently I am not because I value my personal anonymity and social privacy, but now that I have a Smart Phone, that has been kinda "lost" and actually surrendered (Terms and Conditions "I agree" tab) in order to use the media features and convenience of modern communication associated with a Smart Phone.

You can agree or disagree with this observation. You know how much "control" (Addiction may be too strong of a word, albeit true in this case) such a Smart Phone device has on your life, whether you are willing to admit to that "control" or not. My hope is that you will still be detailing vehicles and post those experiences here in this forum, regardless of what type of present-day electronic communication device you are using so I and all of us Autopians can enjoy and learn from it.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie,

Not sure which Smart Phone you ended up with, but chances are it is Bluetooth (BT) enabled. That being the case, you can always pair a BT wireless keyboard to it if you want to do a decent amount of typing on your phone, without resorting to your thumbs! haha

One of my "home desk" set-ups actually has a Logitech K780 Multi-Device Wireless Keyboard for Computer, Phone and Tablet
    You can get one for about 60$

it can be set up to work with three different devices. I have mine set up for my laptop, an iPad, and my phone. It has a little edge/tray deal so you can rest your phone on it, or a small tablet.

When I`m using that "home desk" set-up, i place my phone on the keyboard "tray" and simply press a button to switch the keyaboard to work with the phone. Type the text message, or whatever I`m typing, then press a button to switch the keyboard back to my laptop for work.

Sorry for the off topic post.

Back on topic.

Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus:
    Thanks for the info on using my new Smart Phone with BlueTooth-enabled keyboard. It really is not off-topic so much because I was blaming Smart Phones for some of the lack of participation on this forum.
    Seems like everyone has adapted to using AND accepted this hand-held computer for every-day usage, despite its limited physical size and "differences" from previous electronic devices like PC or tablets. Your keyboard suggestion is a hybrid adaptation to blending old, familiar technology or equipment with a Smart Phone. What ever works.

My biggest concern, however, are other forms of media, whether it is social or entertainment, available on Smart Phones that takes the place (AKA viewing time) of looking at informational forums AND physical activities, like a detailing hobby. Just wonder how many younger, former Autopians are now electronic gamers. They still detail, but looking at forums and commenting or posting? Don`t have time.

And since Captain Obvious is sailing into uncharted, off-topic subjects, in October 2021 I went to a panel discussion on current worker labor shortages at the University of Wisconsin- Green Bay campus put on by Gannet Newspaper Services and local Chamber of Commerce and a Northeast Wisconsin Manufacturer`s Alliance. What I learned is that younger males under 30 years of age DO NOT want to work more than 32 hours a week because they want to play video games instead, according to a recent survey conducted by the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development. Don`t know who the sample group was or how many individuals were part of that survey, but it sounds plausible. Signs of the time of current social trends.....
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I access the forums exclusively with a smart phone or iPad. Thank God for Tapatalk.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes 981 Cayman S, Tc99m, Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    And since Captain Obvious is sailing into uncharted, off-topic subjects, in October 2021 I went to a panel discussion on current worker labor shortages at the University of Wisconsin- Green Bay campus put on by Gannet Newspaper Services and local Chamber of Commerce and a Northeast Wisconsin Manufacturer`s Alliance.
    You`re making me laugh, Lonnie, Gannett talking about labor shortages? They are responsible for so much labor surplus in the publishing business, by buying up so many small-town papers and dumping the entire staff so that the paper could be 90% canned content and 10% local content phoned in by someone 100 miles away who`s never been to the town being served. Happened in my town.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    You`re making me laugh, Lonnie, Gannett talking about labor shortages? They are responsible for so much labor surplus in the publishing business, by buying up so many small-town papers and dumping the entire staff so that the paper could be 90% canned content and 10% local content phoned in by someone 100 miles away who`s never been to the town being served. Happened in my town.
    Ain`t that the truth!!! The city of Green Bay`s local paper, the Green Bay Press-Gazette is owned by said Gannett, and yes, there has a been a great reduction in local coverage, especially high school sports and activities. Those newspaper articles and photos on students academics, school plays, and sport games used to be cut out by family members and students to grace the pages of personal scrap books chronicling such events. It was BIG news to see yourself on front page of the local newspaper or sport`s section. Not any more. I guess those pictorial images are being digitally downloaded from posted pics/videos on Face Book (Meta), YouTube, or TicToc these days. EVEN Green Bay Packer National Football League news is covered by reporters of Gannett-held newspaper Milwaukee Journal and "shared" with the Press-Gazette. NOW, we no longer get a printed Saturday paper. It`s only available in digital form.
    I am with you on the loss of small town newspapers and local content. I saw the recent documentary on CBS` 60 Minutes on TV on this very subject and what has happened to those reporters and journalist who are no longer employed, in particular the Chicago Sun Times being bought and owned by ST Acquisitions Holding, a private investment consortium. This group has done so with small and medium sized newspapers throughout the Midwest and Eastern USA. What one small-town paper editor noted was because this local content of news is no longer printed, government officials, leaders, and politicians are no longer held accountable for their actions. The present-day shenanigans going on by local government officials or departments goes undetected because it is no longer being reported on and printed in the paper for everyone to read. Sounds plausible to me.

I think it`s ironic that our state of Wisconsin legislature wants to pass legislation that would do away with the legal requirement of having ANY government meetings` proceedings and legal notices published in printed form in a local newspaper and allow such notices and proceedings to be in a digital format ONLY and available on local or county government websites (which EVERY county in Wisconsin has), thus saving state and local governments hundreds and thousands of taxpayer dollars to do so. Who was ardently opposed to this and took out full-page advertisement editorials talking about an attack on Freedom of the Press and lack of government transparency? Gannett News Services!!! It has NOTHING to do with "attacks on Freedom of the Press" or "lack of government transparency". It was all about the loss of publishing government proceedings and legal notices revenue for its owners and stock-holders!!! The legislation is still pending and currently on hold, as some state small-town and rural area citizens do not have good internet service, making digital access impossible. The currently passed federal Infrastructure Bill is addressing that issue as we speak (well, type).
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Man, reading this thread is bittersweet. I`ve been a member here for a long time. I remember when I got my first car that had paint that was actually worth caring for is when I came across the Autopia forum. It was an invaluable resource. I remember being amazed at the amount of information and knowledge that was available. I`ve never posted a lot of stuff but I read quite often, especially this time of year when the weather starts to break and my interest in detailing begins to grow again. I`ve recommended this forum to so many people that have asked me how I keep my cars looking so clean haha. Sure, I look at other detailing media outlets i.e. reddit, facebook, Instagram but I always come back to Autopia. So thank you to all of you who have provided me all that information and knowledge over the years. I hope this forum stays alive and I would be happy to do anything I can to ensure that happens.
    Likes 981 Cayman S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus:

My biggest concern, however, are other forms of media, whether it is social or entertainment, available on Smart Phones that takes the place (AKA viewing time) of looking at informational forums AND physical activities, like a detailing hobby. Just wonder how many younger, former Autopians are now electronic gamers. They still detail, but looking at forums and commenting or posting? Don`t have time.
    I understand. Been talking to several "younger" or "less experienced" detailers (not that I`m a full time pro myself) and I`ve noticed several of these fellows don`t participate in forums. They do Tik Tok, Instagram, some Facebook and YouTube.
    Young guys spend a great deal of time on YouTube to learn (as did I, but content was far less back then). It stopped surprising me that these guys DON`T know how to deal with some things. Or know what the intent is for some products. I`ve educated a small handful on some things. Things that I learned from these great forums, or from doing great amount of research! These guys don`t bother researching, reading descriptions, etc.

but it sounds plausible. Signs of the time of current social trends.....
    Definitely!!! Started seeing the trend when I was working at another car insurance carrier in the Claims Dept. I hung out with a group of guys to play poker, go out for lunch, or just breaks while at work. It surprised me to see these guys, average age back then being early 30s, talking about video games and seeing how much time they spent on those games. Several of them were married and some had young children. I`m sure more and more people are into video games these days!

Quote Originally Posted by 06vrss View Post
    So thank you to all of you who have provided me all that information and knowledge over the years. I hope this forum stays alive and I would be happy to do anything I can to ensure that happens.
    I agree. I`ve learned a great deal here. I`ve tried to contribute some. And still go back to read some older threads to remind myself of best ways to use certain products. Hope this place hangs around for a good long time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    I understand. Been talking to several "younger" or "less experienced" detailers (not that I`m a full time pro myself) and I`ve noticed several of these fellows don`t participate in forums. They do Tik Tok, Instagram, some Facebook and YouTube.
    Young guys spend a great deal of time on YouTube to learn (as did I, but content was far less back then). It stopped surprising me that these guys DON`T know how to deal with some things. Or know what the intent is for some products. I`ve educated a small handful on some things. Things that I learned from these great forums, or from doing great amount of research! These guys don`t bother researching, reading descriptions, etc.
    I think some of it may come down to different professions and communities of interest.

If you go to some car-themed forums they are thriving and alive and well. Not only that, but the generational spread is fairly wide. You get into some of the sub forums discussing mods of almost any flavor and there are some folks much younger than I am discussing very complex mechanical issues and trouble shooting. Those guys in the late-20`s to mid-30`s seem to be the lifeblood of those sub forums with the older folks typically contributing quite a bit to the more general forums and those based on racing that platform, although younger members seem to be just as interested in the racing too depending on the car.

I`ve got a friend in his 30`s whose an audio engineer and concert lighting designer. He too seems to consume information across the spectrum. YouTube for demo`s and creative ideas and forums for when he needs to troubleshoot and work out technical solutions.

I have seen some of the problems you describe. Many of the video platforms don`t lend themselves to quality interactions and they tend to lead people to take something at face value. The inability to converse and ask questions leads to less analytical thinking. I`ve seen this in people of all ages recently.

I agree. I`ve learned a great deal here. I`ve tried to contribute some. And still go back to read some older threads to remind myself of best ways to use certain products. Hope this place hangs around for a good long time
    Same here. I`m constantly looking up old threads and the reason I try to contribute where/when/as able.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I learned a lot on YouTube. I had a friend direct me here when I was talking about working on one of my cars during the lockdown. Fantastic resource and I love the content and community. There are some things you just can`t find elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Desernate:
    Thank you for your insight on You Tube detailing videos and the "one-sided" demonstration/instruction portion without viewer questions and interactions. That aspect NEVER occurred to me, but then again, I am NOT a You Tube subscriber/viewer on a regular basis. However, the viewer part may be changing as detailing information media trends change or I am forced to. I REALLY do not want to, but never say never, as reality presents itself.

I do remember back several years ago when this forum changed hands and this forum was unavailable and when it was, it was full of viruses that made it impossible to participate in. It was horrible (think Autopia forum withdrawal)!!! I think I became a part of Meguiar`s or The Detailer`s Domain forum for a short time, but it was NOT the same. The Autopia Forum problems were fixed some time later. but those problems left a bad taste in a lot of Autopia members` mouth and for some, that trust was lost. This current trend of lack of viewer traffic and member participation is a new challenge to this Autopia Forum for reasons many of you have pointed out and discussed within this thread. I have no solutions to overcoming those challenges, OTHER than what Desernate mentioned above: Keep asking insightful detailing-centric questions and post your experiences and opinions. And, yes, they are important to me and, hopefully, to all fellow Autopians.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

It’s probably been shot down already by the powers that be, but I always thought it would be an interesting idea to merge Autopia and AG to pump up membership and participation. There’s an awful lot of knowledge over there too.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes dgage liked this post

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information