Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

A Christmas Wish from Captain Obvious: KEEP THIS AUTOPIA FORUM ALIVE and GOING

Disclaimer: I do not work for the Palm Beach Motoring Group (PBMG) and its affiliates, nor has anyone put me up to this, including the Autopia Admins.
    The following is my own opinion and concern, nothing more. Please, read on!

While it may seem a moot issue to many of you about this "particular wish-list" request to keep this forum alive and going, it is very important to me personally. I do not belong to any of the mainstream social media platforms. like Facebook, Twitter, and the like. Quite honestly this forum IS my "social media". I enjoy talking withe fellow Autopians about detail-related topics, adding in my personal Captain Obvious experiences and never-ending (dumb) questions, anecdotal stories, Redneck humor, interspersed with some self-deprecation.

I know that those Autopians and non-member lurkers who care to read this thread are very aware that forum participation and discussions has been greatly curtailed and largely replaced by other, more popular social media platforms for obvious reasons. There`s more viewers and followers, not to mention the monetary reward if your posts become more popular and garner a mass following. That`s something this forum cannot compete with, but its was (and is) not set up to be that from its original inception.

I joined SOOOOO many years ago to learn about detailing because it was a hobby that I enjoyed and I wanted to know more about it, new products, and methodologies, and with the advent of the ability to add photographs and now videos, see what other Autopians are doing concerning detailing.
    AS I have said many times before ,the member Autopians, past and present and their contributions to this forum are my greatest asset and the best detailing tool I have.

So, yes, I do have a vested interest in seeing this forum continue as it is and into the future, hopefully.
    That said, it can only continue to happen if we support the company behind it, the Autopian Store and its owner, the Palm Beach Motor Group. Nothing is free, and that includes this forum. I have no insight into the financial operations of PBMG and if the owners see this forum as a revenue-generating advertising media worthy of continuing, given the steady decrease in member participation and said other social media platforms` competition. We all have to buy our detailing products somewhere, so why not help by buying from the Autopia Store when we can. That`s the first step.

The other is just keep posting thread topics. I know it seems like this forum has come down to 20 or 30 Autopian members who seem to dominate the discussions with their responses, and that includes myself. Quite honestly, I am like a weekend golf duffer trying to convince you pro`s that I can actually play golf and this is what you need to do to get better. NOTHING could be farther from the truth. Yes, I talk a good talk, but my detailing abilities are, well pedestrian at best, BUT like many of you who do play golf, enjoy the game, regardless of the score card tally.

You also hear me talking about Autopian All-Stars. Quite honestly, that would include a host of you Autopians over the years, so rather than single out those individuals in particular and why, let`s just say those names pop up in thread discussions from time-to-time. I know some of you ask, "How do I get on the Captain Obvious Autopain All-Star List?" Keep posting your detailing exploits and answer my Captain Obvious questions. We`re all here to learn from each other about detailing, but that ONLY happens if you participate in thread discussions.

My other concern is that this forum continues with its "Open Forum" policy. It is a both a blessing and a curse and a forum conundrum for the Admins, because my concern is "What are "appropriate" topics of discussion within a detailing forum?" I have been guilty of violating my own code of ethics on detailing-related-only topics, in posting a tribute to my Mother upon her death OR participating in discussions ranging from stereos, to political ideologies, to sports (Yes, I am a Green Bay Packers football fan, living 5 block from Lambeau Field. No, I do not have season tickets nor am a Packer team-owner who purchased public Packer Stock-holder Shares ). As the admins have told me, If you don`t like the topic, don`t read it or respond with a post to it. If you feel a thread topic is off base or inappropriate for a detailing forum, report it to the Admins and let them make that determination. That said, I would hope that my fellow Autopians will take some consideration into keeping this a detailing-centric forum with their thread topic posts.

So my wish is that this forum continues in 2022, despite its challenges ahead, and I look forward to reading more Autopian Member detailing exploits. Like I said, you are all Autopian All-Stars to me.
    GB detailer
    Likes RPPM, CleanIt, atbalfour, Billy Jack, DAC17 and 12 others liked this post
    Thanks RPPM, CleanIt, atbalfour, 06vrss thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Christmas Wish from Captain Obvious: KEEP THIS AUTOPIA FORUM ALIVE and GOING

I too hope this forum stays around.

I am casually on other social media platforms like Instagram, but I`m not on there to be social. I rarely interact there, and use to more for entertainment, like following sports teams and other accounts related to my hobbies. I`ve abandoned Facebook since it`s a cesspool these days, and while I liked Twitter, all of my friends left it years ago and the same content for sports teams can be found on Instagram.

Overall, I`ve found the major social media platforms to be terrible when trying to serve the same purpose as a forum. They don`t come even close to the ability to share information, find older information, and separate conversations and even focus conversations by topic.

As for this forum, I really appreciate those who have stuck it out. I have fun and chat lightly about things over at AG, but when I get serious and want to really discuss a product or issue I come here. Nothing against the posters there, since many overlap like I do, but the personalities and experience here works better for me.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes RPPM, CleanIt, Ecrissman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Christmas Wish from Captain Obvious: KEEP THIS AUTOPIA FORUM ALIVE and GOING

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Disclaimer: I do not work for the Palm Beach Motoring Group (PBMG) and its affiliates, nor has anyone put me put to this, including the Autopia Admins.
    The following is my own opinion and concern, nothing more. Please, read on!

While it may seem a moot issue to many of you about this "particular wish-list" request to keep this forum alive and going, it is very important to me personally. I do not belong to any of the mainstream social media platforms. like Facebook, Twitter, and the like. Quite honestly this forum IS my "social media". I enjoy talking withe fellow Autopians about detail-related topics, adding in my personal Captain Obvious experiences and never-ending (dumb) questions, anecdotal stories, Redneck humor, interspersed with some self-deprecation.

I know that those Autopians and non-member lurkers who care to read this thread are very aware that forum participation and discussions has been greatly curtailed and largely replaced by other, more popular social media platforms, for obvious reasons. There`s more viewers and followers, not to mention the monetary reward if your posts become more popular and garner a mass following. That`s something this forum cannot compete with, but its was (and is) not set up to be that from its original conception.

I joined SOOOOO many years ago to learn about detailing because it was a hobby that I enjoyed and I wanted to know more about it, new products, and methologies,
    Perfectly stated Lonnie. I joined for the same reasons, and although I do not post a lot, i enjoy reading posts here and the knowledge and camaraderie shared by most all is second to none. I hope it stays around for a long, long time.
    Likes Billy Jack, John U, Ecrissman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Autopia will always have a special place in my thoughts. I remember the "good ol days" when moderating this forum was close to being a part-time job. It`s a shame how sparse the forum has become nowadays.

I gained immense knowledge from Autopia and met some really great folks It would be a shame if that were to become only a memory now

FWIW I also participate regularly on AGO and continue my learning and meeting there

There`s something about a forum that Facebook and the like can`t replicate. I stay away from it because it never appealed to me. I feel better quality connections are formed with a forum

The way to keep Autopia active is to continue to participate on it. The selection of detailing discussion topics seems like it is endless so it`s not like we will run out of things to say. I`d hate to see such a place with such a history fade away.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes Desertnate, craigdt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The forum does get a decent amount of visitors it seems, not a tech guy but unless it bots or something. People just don`t post. Sometimes i will stop myself from posting because there are literally hundreds of people visiting this forum that can call me out for what i am, a hack.

I like my results however but its not professional level. I just feel i can add something to mix coming for a poor weather area and an outside hobby detailer.

I even thought of building a car garage but i need money for much more important things and the price of lumber is astonishing here. In the Philippines i would guess 90% of homes are cement - the area i stay at any rate. Side note lol

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Seems most forum traffic is slow but forums are a great source for searchable info. After Mike left the Autogeek forum volume dropped off. Sometimes forums are fueled by individuals or controversy. Could probably use a little of each here.

Post Thanks / Like

I too wish this/these forums a positive future as I would like to see them continue. I like the people here and enjoy posting up threads and responding to other`s as well. I do not post write ups/reviews/etc on any other platform except Instagram for pictures only.

Thanks Lonnie...aka, Capt. Obvious!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes Lonnie, screamng liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like not to may left here but i’m here till we can’t be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes 06vrss liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I just joined here very recently, long time reader and lurker that gained product and detailing info, reviews and general entertainment. I am on a number of auto and auto related forums, the last few years they have all declined. What used to be bumper to bumper traffic in some of them, just trying to keep up with the barage of posts and threads was sometimes challenging. Now you can see catagories and threads with last post dates sometimes going back a year or more.
    I never joined any social media platform, just auto and related forums. I hated bookface from the start and hate it more every passing day. No matter how far they push it, and others, I will not attend. These types of forums are my source for research on the topics and connections with like minded. But if they ever did close shop... well somehow we will all never know, mankind made it 2000 years without bookface ````ter, etc. Yes I don`t know how either. But I made it too, so I will be just fine. But for the sake of this passion in this pasttime and... call it a hobby if you wish - I don`t do this as an occupation as some on here, I`m an amature at home detail and auto nut...in training. Always in training. - I really hope forums like these thrive .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post
    I just joined here very recently,
    Welcome to the madness/rabbit hole...appropriate username! A Christmas Wish from Captain Obvious: KEEP THIS AUTOPIA FORUM ALIVE and GOING

- 981 Cayman S (aka BP1)
    Likes Silly Rabbit liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 981 Cayman S View Post
    Welcome to the madness/rabbit hole...appropriate username! A Christmas Wish from Captain Obvious: KEEP THIS AUTOPIA FORUM ALIVE and GOING

- 981 Cayman S (aka BP1)
    Thank you sir!
    Likes 981 Cayman S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Being a long time member I have seen and read a lot of different things in this forum, both good and, well, "controversial". I am not into the name-calling, he-said-she-said,your`re -a-hack-and-a-liar, soap opera drama of past topics, BUT it did make for "interesting" reading. Kinda like "Reality Detailing", but in words.
    Seeing that this detailing forum has been around for some time, there is a lot of information related to detailing, especially products and related chemicals. While some of this information and their reviews is more historical because of their age when discussed, I am sure many of you feel that those older product may no longer be relevant for their use. Many have ceased production and are no longer available for sale, or newer products have supplanted or replaced them. That said, I am sure that many of you longtime members may have some of these older or "obsoleted" products lurking in the back on your detailing product shelf. Maybe now and then you look at them or remember what it was like to use them on that vehicle now long gone you owned so many years ago. Some of them still have a good use now and then (like the old pre-VOC bottle of Turtle Wax Chrome Cleaner), while others should just be thrown out (like the Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound or the almost-empty tin of "Classic Products" Original Carnauba Car Wax I bought at K-Mart on a Blue Light Special sale).

You also know I tend to reference and post thread links to A LOT of older threads. Sometimes that the information, though older and somewhat forgotten, is still relevant for today, OR for historical purposes just because that-was-then,this-is-now as a remembrance or nostalgia comparison. I do not consider myself as an Autopia forum "historian", but in many ways I have unwittingly self-appointed myself as just that. I don`t know if that is good or bad, it is just there in my mind, so I find it through the Search feature, then copy-and-paste the thread link. This historical referencing is most noticeable in the the thread started by Setec Astronomy, Products You Don`t Hear Too Much About Anymore... (See my post #13 in this thread and you`ll see what I mean!)
    I do that because most Autopians are newer so how could they remember that particular thread they never read OR many are just too busy to use the Search and take the time to wade through many older post to find it. I hope no one is offended by my doing so, BUT just as with my Captain Obvious questions, if I have a concern or question about something detailing -related, I am sure other Autopians do as well, so I ask those questions or post a link to an older thread. Like I said, we are all here to learn about detailing.

My point is the longevity of this forum and its member contributions are what make this forum what it is: the best detailing forum.

By the way, if you look under the Autopia name in any member`s post, you`ll see a series of green bars for that particular members "rating". As you move your mouse pointer over it, the Autopia rating title text is displayed. I see for 981 Cayman S,(formerly Budget Plan 1) it says, "981 Cayman S would be a good candidate for mayor of Autopia.org". He`s not a candidate; he IS "the mayor"! If you wonder how he "earned" that title, reference this epic thread I think EVERY Autopian member has read at some time: Think I`m done messing around with coatings, final thoughts...
    GB detailer
    Likes Tc99m, Old Pirate liked this post
    Thanks 981 Cayman S thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

It would be a crying shame if Autopia died for good because all of that detailing info would be gone with it. I hope people continue to use this forum in order to upkeep the info
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes Tc99m, Ecrissman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I need to log on here more often to do my bit, but I`m awfully busy these days
    Likes dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m here just about every day, at least checking the new posts to see what you all are working on. I dont post much (if at all), I just like taking care of my cars. I have learned so much from you all. It would be a shame for this forum to go away.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information