Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Christmas Wish from Captain Obvious: KEEP THIS AUTOPIA FORUM ALIVE and GOING

Hopefully this forum stays active, has provided me with more knowledge (and `great` ideas A Christmas Wish from Captain Obvious: KEEP THIS AUTOPIA FORUM ALIVE and GOING) than any other. Rarely are there any really contentious moments, seems like a self-policing respite from the morass of `social media`. This is due to the members here, past and present: RIP Ronkh, the acknowledged `Wax Waster` and King of Gloss!, folks like Mike `The Guz`, the undeniable true master of product testing, Sizzle Chest of glossy Porsche renown, Accumulator, glfnaz who we met for lunch when we were in AZ...the list goes on and on!

Although current traffic is not excessive, due in part to it being Winter perhaps, it`s safe to say that if a new user posts a question, someone will be along to answer it. All ya gotta do is jump in and ask a question, rest assured it will be answered! Likely with Accumulator-proof advice. A Christmas Wish from Captain Obvious: KEEP THIS AUTOPIA FORUM ALIVE and GOING
    Likes Oneheadlite, 01GreyStangGT liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A Christmas Wish from Captain Obvious: KEEP THIS AUTOPIA FORUM ALIVE and GOING

981 Cayman S:
    You started a list of Autopian member whom you feel are or were important contributors to this forum with their detailing exploits and information.
    I tried NOT to do comprise a list of what I considered Autopian All-Stars because:
    1) It would be subjective in nature. IE, too opinionated on what constitutes the criteria to be considered an Autopian "All-Star`
    because it`s MY opinion and determination.
    2) It `s too long a list and I did not want to forget someone OR hurt someone`s feelings because I did not (forgot to) mention them.

But true to my Captain Obvious hypocrisy, I will take the time to mention (looks like "a list" to me, Captain Obvious! just sayin`...) some members who are instrumental to this Autopia forum over the years, and yes, I have deemed them All-Stars in past post:
    David Fermani: for his picture expose on defunct and abandoned detailing shops in the Detroit area
    Detroit Abandoned Car Wash & Detail Shop Pics!!!!
    Scottwax: for his review of Optimum Polymer Technologies car-care products
    Kevin Brown: for his self-named methodologies on using Meg`s M105 compound and M205 polish and all things Meguiars
    Ron Ketcham: detailing product guru well connected to all the automotive manufacturer`s
    Liz (the Autopia Admin): who doesn`t love her Autopia Store Open Box Deals
    Barry Theal: World-class detailer who started Presidential Details and my early forum detailing "idol"
    Accumulator: shear number of posts in this forum and Finish-Kare`s Hi-Temp P1000 wax aficionado
    Stokdgs: Rotary expert and and someone who truly personifies Christian-character
    Merlin: a world-class detailer who started THE Merlin Shot pics and his own Enchanted Concours Wax
    Sizzle Chest: another world-class detailer AND all his Porsche-related detailing exploits and road-trips to museums and car shows (sorry to bug you with SOOO many questions)
    Mike lambert: "Former" Griot`s Garage product user; now a Dr. Beasley`s car-care product advocate AND his "Maryland Shot" and a Mopar muscle car owner.
    512detail: Mopar owner and detailer extraordinaire with Polish Angel products and another WaxWstr
    The Guz; product tested extraordinaire and his product-give-aways (which I was a benefactor of; Thanks)
    WaxAddict: love his Monster-Mash Wax custom mix give-away. Too bad it`s been used up.
    Budget Plan 1, now 981 Cayman S: because he is the coating expert (and THE mayor of Autopia.org!)
    Loach: A PHd-worthy degree for his test methodologies Comprehensive Gloss Measurement Thread - WaxMode Testing
    Ronhk (RIP): Corvette owner and detailer . Many of you were there in Florida to help him when he could not detail due to his illness. Just tells me the kind of Autopians many of you truly are. Just a "unique" detailing person.
    Rasky1: former engineer and world-class detailer and his post about his garage for his detailing business
    Mary B: love her (I assume "her"!?) posts about buffers
    Nizmo: his recent posts and pics about the `95 Eagle Talon body metal work (Yes, I am envious)

I told you I didn`t want to list Autopians because I KNOW I forgot someone important who has been instrumental in and to my detailing hobby, so my sincere apologies to anyone in my doing so.
    GB detailer
    Likes craigdt, noorth, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

It`s too bad some of the folks on that list are now MIA. Autopia started to die just a little bit once they stopped posting but I agree, they have been instrumental to this forum not to mention the moderators we`ve had over the years.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes Lonnie, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    981 Cayman S:
    You started a list of Autopian member whom you feel are or were important contributors to this forum with their detailing exploits and information.
    I tried NOT to do comprise a list of what I considered Autopian All-Stars because:
    1) It would be subjective in nature. IE, too opinionated on what constitutes the criteria to be considered an Autopian "All-Star`
    because it`s MY opinion and determination.
    2) It `s too long a list and I did not want to forget someone OR hurt someone`s feelings because I did not (forgot to) mention them.
    Indeed, that was just a quick off the top of my head deal while typing on a cell phone...the complete list would stretch for pages and pages and likely comprise every username active in the past 5 years!

Post Thanks / Like

Learned alot from pretty much everyone you both posted.

I do miss mary’s polisher post and her collection…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes 981 Cayman S, Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

One group of Autopians who get "some" recognition within this forum are those of you who are Beta-Testers for detailing products and equipment from various manufacturers. I cannot give them enough "THANKS" for what they do in testing these products and equipment because all Autopians benefit from their efforts.
    Unfortunately, in my Captain Obvious nosiness, I have asked question of many of you Beta-Testers went little tidbits of information are "leaked" about a new product or piece of equipment in such a test, knowing full well nothing can be revealed about them due to signed legal confidentiality agreements and "gag or no-tell rules" with these car-care detailing manufacturers. It`s just "difficult" to have to wait for something new, especially when it may have a game-changing effect on and for the detailing industry or is light-years ahead of existing products or equipment. It is two-sided conundrum for me personally (IE, No information and having to wait)

The other group of Autopians I want to acknowledge are those of you take the time to test and post reviews and photos with their experience and opinions of detailing products and equipment. Some do this just because they want us Autopians to know, while others have been given such products or equipment for free in exchange for their posted review. I have NO PROBLEM with the free distribution of such items by car-care detailing manufacturers to you Autopians for such reviews. I, personally, see such gestures as a great, cost-effective marketing and advertising tool and am more inclined to buy and use a product that has been reviewed by a fellow Autopian and wish more such manufacturers would feel inclined to do so. I also appreciate the candor and honesty when those of you write a less-than-glowing review or at least present the "cons" of such products or equipment. Than`s an important part of these reviews and evaluations. I know it also saves my limited detailing budget from overspending (AKA, the detailing rabbit hole ) from buy-and-try, trial-and-error personal experimenting of such newer products or equipment. That, too in invaluable (pun intended!) to me and I am sure to other Autopians reading this post.

Sorry if I sound repetitive with these accolades , praise, and thanks that I have posted over the years for such things mentioned above.
    But the purpose of this thread topic is to keep this forum going and it because of Autopians who do those things mentioned above that are an integral part of the existence of this detailing forum and that cannot be overstated.
    GB detailer
    Likes 981 Cayman S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    I do miss mary’s polisher post and her collection…
    I really miss the female Auopians who used to post here...and I really hope they didn`t bail over Toxic Masculinity or something else along those lines (e.g., certain political opinions which I too find utterly repulsive).
    Likes 981 Cayman S, Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this thread, Captain Obvious! To me, YOU are one of the members that contributes quite a bit. Be it questions, be it comments, your posts help keep this forum moving.

I do miss Ron, for various reasons, but it seemed, at least to me, that he helped quite a bit with posts, and kept some momentum to the posts and activity on this forum

That extensive list you provided...haha. I know it well and agree with just about all of it. Though, I had no clue Mike went from Griot`s to Dr Beaseley`s!!! (sp?)

Anyway...myself, I decreased my posts, especially reviews, due to the issues with photos. First, the fiasco with PhotoBucket. Oh, that was soooo bad. Somewhere along the line, I started using the sister site`s image hosting and shared pics off of there. Unfortunately, even that started having issues and several of my pics in some threads were no longer available. It`s discouraging for me to go through the work to document, photo, adjust, upload, name, rename, post, and only to find out some of those threads with pics no longer have the pics.

At any rate.... I too appreciate this forum. Still my favorite, though I`m not so active any more. There are plenty of fine folks here.

In fact, when I ventured off to make the Coating Caddy(TM) Ceramic and Graphene Bottle Holders, it was these fine folks I reached out to! Most of my testers were chosen for their contributions on this very platform!

Long live this forum!
    Likes 981 Cayman S, Vegas1, Lonnie, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, long live this forum......I hope!
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I assume Youtube and various outlets that allow monetization has contributed to forum usage decrease in general.
    The content and people of Autopia are wonderful, and its sad to see less posting.

But, I`m at fault just as much as anyone else. Don`t post nearly as much as I used to 10+ years ago.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

It seems that in certain ways, the forums are harder to do certain tasks such as uploading photos than facebook. That probably plays a role in their diminished activity. The other thing is that individually owned auto sites have largely gone away being purchased by larger corporations which restrict certain content. Lots of users abandoned sites after the corporations made the sites less about the users and more about the ad revenue.
    Likes 981 Cayman S, dgage, craigdt, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I mentioned this forum is an "Open Forum" and the fact that "other manufacture`s" detailing products and equipment can be discussed that are not sold by the Autopia Store or its affiliate, Palm Beach Motoring Group (PBMG). That presents a real conundrum for PBMG and the forum admins, because some of these products and equipment compete directly with the manufacturer`s inventory that they do sell. I understand the marketing decision when admin police these threads and will then take down and delete internet links to such competing manufacturers. It`s a rule that has been in force and agreed upon by members when they sign on. i try to sell-police myself NOT to post such links and inform members that they themselves can use an Internet Search Engine (Like Google) to find more information either directly from the manufacturer or an internet re-sell, dealer, or distributor. I HOPE that that forum policy of allowing thread discussions of competing product will continue and that the PBMG will not censure such discussions, although I can see the day when it is because it does, indeed, directly affect their business financial operation. But as this policy currently is is WHY I continue to be a member here in this forum. I am sure you Autopian members and non-member lurkers a have a lot of different detailing products and equipment from a wide variety of sources, including "non-detailing"-related stores like Big Box stores, hardware stores, home and carpet cleaning stores, not to mention the plethora of all-things detailing internet stores/re-sellers/distributors mentioned in this forum, AND the ever ubiquitous Amazon.

There are two "problems" that I see with limiting product and equipment discussions to PBMG-only sold items:
    1) Many detailing product or equipment manufacturers have a "limited distributorship agreement" with a specific re-seller, which controls the inventory, price, and area that their products are sold in. PBMG and by default, the Autopia Store, cannot become a distributor because of these agreements and how they are structured. it sounds like a controlled monopoly, but it is an extension of free-market enterprise. That just the way some detailing manufacturers operate. Like I said, chances are you Autopians and forum lurkers have purchased these "other" products from somewhere else simply because they are not available through PBMG stores.
    2) Some products and equipment are only available to "certified installers or detailers". While I may not like it, the manufactures has made that decision to:
    a) Guarantee the product is used and applied correctly and thus the quality is maintained, as is the reputation of the manufacture;
    b) Control its price because it is an exclusive market.
    That`s just the way free-market enterprise economics works here in the USA, even though I may not like it.

It`s impossible for PBMG to sell EVERYTHING detailing-related and as stated above, it simply cannot or is not allowed to do so, which negates all the lobbying by Autopia members for such items. But they do a pretty good job with their selected manufacturers products` offerings and prices. Like I said in the opening thread post, one way for the continuance of this forum is for Autopians to BUY their detailing products from the Autopia Store as much as possible, but for reasons stated above, that doesn`t always happen. It`s a real challenge for myself and this wish.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

That`s a decent summation, Lonnie. I read every new post on this forum every day and that`s pretty much the rules we play by. No one likes to see a heavy hand in moderation and no one likes to be the heavy hand but it has never been PBMG`s intention to become a click-through portal to the competitions site.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

In its heyday, this forum was my happy place. Let`s not forget some other valuable posters from the past -- cheers to ZaneO and 1_Clean_WS6.
    Likes craigdt, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Same here Lonnie this is really my only source for detailing chats and tips and Im not on there a very long time but I feel the same way. If we create a patch to put on our shirts like “IAD” ……“International Autopian Dipsticks” it would encourage new membership.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information