Post Thanks / Like

Approach for a new daily driver?

So I recently picked up my new dark gray Porsche Macan and am trying to figure out my best approach for protecting it for daily driver use. My first thought was to apply a ceramic coating, but after reading about the challenges of avoiding and removing high spots, I’m thinking this isn’t the car I want to learn on. I’m considering paying a professional to do the work, but I’m really a hands-on guy, not to mention still mentally recovering from the check I wrote to get the car. My current plan is to use the Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Spray Coating as an easy to use, effective coating. Any thoughts? Cancoat is another option I considered, but it seemed a bit less fool-proof in application.

I’m thinking to just use the Wolfgang Perfekt Finish Paint Prep ahead of the spray coating application and skip a prep polish. When I inspect the paint with an LED flashlight, it’s near perfect to my eyes. No sign of scratches or swirls. If I find it looking different after the Paint Prep I would reconsider, but with whatever the dealer used for delivery, it’s looking good now and I’m concerned I could do more damage than good. I’ve got a Griot’s polisher that I used with some success to clean up my wife’s silver Lexus, but that’s the extent of my experience with paint correction.

Coming from a BMW, I know how much work goes into keeping wheels clean of brake dust, so I’m thinking of putting a real coating on these. For this I’m thinking Gyeon Q2 Rim, or possibly Stance. Again, any thoughts or guidance? The front brake calipers appear to have a non-painted matt finish that I’ve seen really degraded on used Macans (guessing these don’t like harsh wheel cleaners), so protecting these are a priority as well.

Looking for any advice on approach or products from the many experienced members on the forum. I’ve learned a ton reading here already. Thanks!
    Likes CleanIt, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Approach for a new daily driver?

Cancoat is a great option. I would also consider Optimum Gloss Coat. They just improved it and it`s among the easiest coatings to use.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new Porsche !

What have you learned from reading here ??

The most important thing to learn and do successfully with any coating, is to apply thin, even, coats... You have to get your hands to learn how to do this.
    You absolutely need the best lighting from overhead and the sides to - see - what you are applying through the entire process, in order to apply thin, even coats..

You will be able to see any high spots easily with really great lighting, and fix them before you move on to the next part of the panel..

Perhaps find a vehicle and apply something liquid to it and see if you have the ability to apply thin, even coats, over a long section, and see how you do, before you go to all the expense of coating your vehicle?

Good lighting, patience, discipline, in making your hand go across a panel at the same pressure and height, over and over, is all it takes to do this..

I have all my Clients and my personal vehicles wheels, cleaned and coated to help keep brake dust down and much more easier to remove.

And they drive all the German, British, and Italian marques, so they are very familiar with brake dust..

Good luck with this !
    Dan F
    Likes CleanIt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks CleanIt and Stokdgs for your thoughts, tips, and encouragement! I think I’m going to go with a coating light or sealant on the paint to get me through the winter, and then try polishing and coating on a couple of our older cars in the spring to gain experience and confidence. Working in a cramped unheated Massachusetts garage isn`t going to make things any easier right now.

In the meantime, I bought some Rim to use on the wheels to get them protected get me feet wet.

Thanks again!

Alan
    Likes Stokdgs, CleanIt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If your feeling ambitious pickup a junk panel somewhere. Thats what i did last winter to practice machine polishing and apply a coating, which is not super hard IME. The few times i applied a coating inside it was a piece of cake with c.quartz uk. Different story outside.

In your situation i would probably go with something like cancoat or adam`s graphene spray coat. Both will also have updated versions soon as well. The adams might already be on the market. That said many detailing sites have gyeon on sale right now. Im sure its because of the major overhaul of their paint coatings. The original cancoat is a fan favorite for sure. The america rep for gyeon said a few years ago it was there best selling coating.
    Likes Stokdgs, CleanIt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new car.

High spots are over hyped. It’s not as bad as people make it seem. They are easy to fix and they are not the end of the world.

It’s also part of the learning process.

CanCoat is pretty darn full proof. Check out the application video on the esoteric YouTube channel with the Gyeon rep. Or even on gyeons channel.

Adams Graphene spray coatings are super easy as well.

You could give gloss coat a go. Not the most durable but super easy to use.

Actually most coatings are easy to work with these days.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes CleanIt, Coatings=crack liked this post

Thread Information