Post Thanks / Like

Mark left after sap removal

EFCF3408-C13F-47BC-AFA5-122F6C6657CE.jpegEECFCEF4-E1B4-4DBE-94FD-1136ED0805FC.jpeg

Just got back from a multi day road trip. Nothing to exciting. Mostly work related. Upon getting home I cleaned a very dirty vehicle. Found 2 drops of sap. Removed them with tarminator and I was left with a mark the shape of the removed sap.

I polished with rules yellow and then blue with the corresponding pad and it did not get any better. I finish polished it and Coated it but it’s still there.

Any ideas? Pics below of the marks. No before pics bc I never imagined this happening.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mark left after sap removal

I had bird dropping blotch awhile back on my wife’s G37. I’d polish it away every spring. It never went away permanently, came back every year for 5 years. I just resigned myself to live with it.

Post Thanks / Like

JSFM35X:
    Any idea of what type of tree or shrub they may have come from and how long they were on your paint?
    I assume your vehicle on this road trip was protected with some type of Last-Step Product (LSP). like a coating, sealant, or wax.
    What ever the LSP was obviously did not protect the finish, hence my first question.

My guess was some type of pine or evergreen, but I am guessing without seeing pics or knowing for sure. Pine sap/pitch, depending on the type of pine it comes from, can cause etching of clear coat quite quickly, especially if you have a dark colored paint hue that is prone to acting like a solar heating panel in the sun and will cause a chemical reaction in this heat, combined with the pine sap that etches the clear-coat rather deeply, depending on the size of the sap drop and the amount of heat generated by the sun and your vehicle panel. Unfortunately, while this may explain WHY the etching occurred, it does NOT resolve your problem of how to remove or at least mitigate its appearance in your clear coat.

Personally, I think Older`s suggestion that you have done what you could to the best of your abilities with what you have on hand for detailing to "fix and correct" this etching and just living with the results is pretty good advise. I do not think that wet-sanding those areas is a viable next step, either, but I may be wrong. Depends on how good your wet-sanding abilities are and your assessment of how bad or deep the etching is in your clear-coat and/or paint . Not what you wanted to hear, but when the etching damage is this sever, nothing short of a repaint is going to "fix" it.

For what is is worth, here is my list of natural contaminants that cause vehicle clear-coat/paint etching:
    1a) White or Red Pine sap
    1b) White or Red Cedar sap
    1c) Springtime Cottonwood yellow leaf buds. VERY sticky and very stain-causing.
    2) Grasshopper bug guts
    3a) Seagull bird dropping. Absolutely the WORST, especially if they have been eating dead fish!
    3b) Goose bird droppings
    3b) Robin bird droppings, especially if they have been eating pin or choke tree berries
    4) Vigilante-thrown chicken egg splatter
    5) Human vomit, especially after eating spicy hot foods and drinking alcoholic beverages (not exactly "natural")
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of wax/sealant/coating did you have on the car?

Post Thanks / Like

I think it was pine sap. 2 drops on a dirty car were hard to see. Was on the road for 2 weeks so max 10 days.

Last step product was premier that was pretty close to shot.

I washed, iron x ed, spot treated the sap, spot polished and re applied the premier for winter. It will get a full tear down and re coat after the winter.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    I think it was pine sap. 2 drops on a dirty car were hard to see. Was on the road for 2 weeks so max 10 days.

Last step product was premier that was pretty close to shot.

I washed, iron x ed, spot treated the sap, spot polished and re applied the premier for winter. It will get a full tear down and re coat after the winter.
    I assume this "Premier" was IGL`s Ecocoat Premier spray-on micro-coating over some type of applied more-permanent base coating, like IGL F4.
    OR are we talking Premier Protection products, like Premier Defense EVR2 ceramic coating/sealant?
    Correct me if I am wrong.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

So the Premier offered NO protection at all to pine sap? Why waste money and time applying something that offers no protection?

Post Thanks / Like

IGL premier was applied well over 1 year ago. Do it’s past it’s useful life of 6 months

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I assume this "Premier" was IGL`s Ecocoat Premier spray-on micro-coating over some type of applied more-permanent base coating, like IGL F4.
    OR are we talking Premier Protection products, like Premier Defense EVR2 ceramic coating/sealant?
    Correct me if I am wrong.

Thread Information