Post Thanks / Like

What to use for cleaning floor mats??

We have a set of thick rubber (I think universal type) weather tech floor mats in our work vehicles. I am wondering what you guys use to clean them and bring back to black.

I have been working on my personal Jeep tires to do the same with 303 rubber/tire cleaner and wonder if that will work to clean. Is there anything that will bring them back to dark/black without leaving them slippery?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What to use for cleaning floor mats??

Quote Originally Posted by kapk22 View Post
    We have a set of thick rubber (I think universal type) weather tech floor mats in our work vehicles. I am wondering what you guys use to clean them and bring back to black.

I have been working on my personal Jeep tires to do the same with 303 rubber/tire cleaner and wonder if that will work to clean. Is there anything that will bring them back to dark/black without leaving them slippery?
    Purple power. Available at Walmart. 1 gallon jug is 5 bucks

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Martyk1313 View Post
    Purple power. Available at Walmart. 1 gallon jug is 5 bucks

will that also bring them back to black?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kapk22 View Post
    will that also bring them back to black?
    Maybe. Soak them, let it sit for a few minutes and wide with a rag. I also use a steam cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

Best thing I’ve found is tuf shine tire cleaner. Works better than most APCs. Optimum power clean also works really well at stronger dilutions and can arguably be more cost effective.

Post Thanks / Like

I use LA’sTotally Awesome. Use mixed 1:3 and let dwell. Then scrub with a brush.

WeatherTech makes a protectant. Have it, haven’t tried it.

Recently saw mentioned Adam’s spray graphene can be used on all weather matts. Gonna try that first. Maybe this Monday. I’ll report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been using the WeatherTech Cleaner and Protectant for over 3 years now. It works great and those little bottles will last for years.
    Likes 981 Cayman S, GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Martyk1313 View Post
    Purple power. Available at Walmart. 1 gallon jug is 5 bucks <br>
    I will politely disagree about using this somewhat "strong" de-greaser for cleaning rubber and vinyl mats. It might be "safe" if used diluted to 1:2 or more, BUT most uneducated (IE, those who do not read the label and its warning) individuals may use this product full strength and then wonder why their floor mats look streaked and "lightened" or "faded". The MSDS information says it contains Diethylene Glycol Monobutyl ether in a 1% to 5% concentration by weight (depends on the exact product a consumer buys, the ready-to-use spray or bulk (AKA, large) container concentrate). Then look at their own Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page on their website, you will see it is NOT recommended for cleaning many materials found in automotive vehicles. THAT should be a red flag to anyone. And no, vinyl in NOT on that list, but rubber roofing IS. I just would not use it to clean a vinyl or rubber mat, but that is me.

I think there are a host of automotive all-purpose cleaners (APCs) that can and should be used to safely clean such mats, provided the label directions for dilution ratios are meticulously followed.

As far as treating or protecting them , there are, again, specialty products for use on mats that are non-slippery. Just look under floor mat cleaners and protectants in the Autopia Store.

There seems to be a fine line between preventing/mitigating occupant/driver mat footing slippage ingress and egress (AKA, getting in and out) versus the physical appearance of a vinyl mat and which is more important. That`s up to you.

Yes, I treat/protect my own vinyl mats with diluted 1:3 Aerospace 303, and yes, even wiped off, they are "somewhat" slippery, but they do look rejuvenated. But I know that getting in and out that the mats are slightly slippery, so I take care with my footing.

But on friends and family vehicles, NO, they are only cleaned and left unprotected and , yes, they do look "faded". BUT I do not worry about the safety hazard liability that I may have caused if I did protect the mats. That`s just common sense and good customer relations.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I will politely disagree about using this somewhat "strong" de-greaser for cleaning rubber and vinyl mats. It might be "safe" if used diluted to 1:2 or more, BUT most uneducated (IE, those who do not read the label and its warning) individuals may use this product full strength and then wonder why their floor mats look streaked and "lightened" or "faded". The MSDS information says it contains Diethylene Glycol Monobutyl ether in a 1% to 5% concentration by weight (depends on the exact product a consumer buys, the ready-to-use spray or bulk (AKA, large) container concentrate). Then look at their own Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page on their website, you will see it is NOT recommended for cleaning many materials found in automotive vehicles. THAT should be a red flag to anyone. And no, vinyl in NOT on that list, but rubber roofing IS. I just would not use it to clean a vinyl or rubber mat, but that is me.

I think there are a host of automotive all-purpose cleaners (APCs) that can and should be used to safely clean such mats, provided the label directions for dilution ratios are meticulously followed.

As far as treating or protecting them , there are, again, specialty products for use on mats that are non-slippery. Just look under floor mat cleaners and protectants.

There seems to be a fine line between preventing/mitigating occupant/driver mat footing slippage ingress and egress (AKA, getting in and out) versus the physical appearance of a vinyl mat and which is more important. That`s up to you.
    Yes, I treat/protect my mats with diluted 1:3 Aerospace 303, and yes, even wiped off, they are "somewhat" slippery, but they do look rejuvenated.
    But on friends and family vehicles, NO, they are only cleaned and left unprotected and , yes, they do look "faded" BUT I do not worry about the safety hazard liability that I may have caused if I did protect the mats. That`s just common sense and good customer relations.
    With all due respect I speak with 16 years experience as a having my own car detailing business and have been using it safely for years.

Post Thanks / Like

Martyk1313:
    What manufacturer and their model number/name steamer are you using to clean mats with?
    Do you dilute the Purple Power with water when you spray this product on the mats and if so, at what ratio?
    (Get use to the many detailing-related Captain Obvious (that`s me) questions to your posts.)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Martyk1313:
    What manufacturer and their model number/name steamer are you using to clean mats with?
    Do you dilute the Purple Power with water when you spray this product on the mats and if so, at what ratio?
    (Get use to the many detailing-related Captain Obvious (that`s me) questions to your posts.)
    PurSteam World`s Best Steamers Chemical-Free Cleaning PurSteam Handheld Pressurized Steam Cleaner with 9-Piece Accessory Set Purpose and Multi-Surface https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XHXFHWG..._UJ52NZhK8xlHg

I do not dilute purple power at all.

Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

BLACKFIRE Mat Cleaner & Protectant

Give it a look. Been using it for about a month now. Great product!
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used OPC and TW Max Power and both have worked well.

Thread Information