Post Thanks / Like

Faulty gas pump = gas spewed all over paint...damaged?

So on my way home last night I stopped by a gas station to get some gas. Upon taking the handle off the rack, I noticed that the "trigger" thing was like jammed and stuck in the depressed state. I didn`t think too much about it at the moment and then hit the "87" button.

Immediately upon doing so, while having the pump pointed in the direction of my truck, gas stated to shoot out like water coming out of a garden hose and I got the entire left half of my truck covered in gas to the point that it was dripping off like water.

I immediately pointed the hose away from my truck and jimmy`d the trigger thing until it sprung back out. I then filled up as usual and noticed that the gas was very quickly evaporating from my paint.

Without being able to do too much at the time, I made the 1hr drive back home and stopped by a coin-op car wash and hosed down my truck with the spot-free rinse, focusing mostly on the effected area. I then went home and called it a night.

I live in an apartment and park my truck in an underground covered garage. I don`t have the means to wash my truck here and normally do so at a friend`s place (who isn`t currently available).

This morning, I cleaned the area with some Chemical Guys waterless wash and sprayed some Blazin` Banana spray wax (that`s all I have here; my usual Optimum spray wax go-to is at my friends place) to restore what wax the gas surely took off.

I have an appointment to get my truck washed nearby tomorrow morning, at the only place I trust to wash my truck if I can`t do it myself.

My question is how much permanent damage did my clearcoat just take from the gas shower it took last night?

Truck is a 2020 Chevy Colorado if that matters...

Thanks
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Faulty gas pump = gas spewed all over paint...damaged?

I think you will be fine. You washed it off relatively quickly. I`ve spilled fuel on my paint before, think we all may have at one point, and have never experienced any damage to my finish.
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes Stokdgs, Desertnate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I can’t see why it shouldn’t be fine. Sizzle Chest knows a lot more than I do.
    Likes Stokdgs, John U liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZR2 View Post
    So on my way home last night I stopped by a gas station to get some gas. Upon taking the handle off the rack, I noticed that the "trigger" thing was like jammed and stuck in the depressed state. I didn`t think too much about it at the moment and then hit the "87" button.

Immediately upon doing so, while having the pump pointed in the direction of my truck, gas stated to shoot out like water coming out of a garden hose and I got the entire left half of my truck covered in gas to the point that it was dripping off like water.

I immediately pointed the hose away from my truck and jimmy`d the trigger thing until it sprung back out. I then filled up as usual and noticed that the gas was very quickly evaporating from my paint.

Without being able to do too much at the time, I made the 1hr drive back home and stopped by a coin-op car wash and hosed down the ```` out of my truck with the spot-free rinse, focusing mostly on the effected area. I then went home and called it a night.

I live in an apartment and park my truck in an underground covered garage. I don`t have the means to wash my truck here and normally do so at a friend`s place (who isn`t currently available).

This morning, I cleaned the area with some Chemical Guys waterless wash and sprayed some Blazin` Banana spray wax (that`s all I have here; my usual Optimum spray wax go-to is at my friends place) to restore what wax the gas surely took off.

I have an appointment to get my truck washed nearby tomorrow morning, at the only place I trust to wash my truck if I can`t do it myself.

My question is how much permanent damage did my clearcoat just take from the gas shower it took last night?

Truck is a 2020 Chevy Colorado if that matters...

Thanks
    Welcome, ZR2 !
    Sorry to hear what happened..
    In all the years I have been around vehicles and gasoline, I have never seen gasoline rinsed off promptly, damage paint clearcoat..
    You rinsed it all off immediately, so even better..
    If you had any kind of wax, sealant, etc., on there, that may have taken a hit, but but not your clearcoat..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I hosed down the quarter panel of wife`s Corvette a few years ago when pump didn`t auto shut off and i wasn`t paying attention. Hot Summer day and i wasn`t able to do anything about it for a few hours; no harm, no foul...all was fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses guys, I was freaking out initially thinking it was something similar to brake fluid.

I do use Optimum Spray wax but my last application was two washes ago so there probably wasn`t much of it left on the truck.

I`m taking my truck in for a wash tomorrow and I`ll probably drive it the couple miles back home and spray on some more Blazin` Banana wax

I`ll be able to give my car another wash in a couple of weeks and then I`ll throw on a fresh coat of my usual Optimum spray wax

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZR2 View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys, I was freaking out initially thinking it was something similar to brake fluid.

I do use Optimum Spray wax but my last application was two washes ago so there probably wasn`t much of it left on the truck.

I`m taking my truck in for a wash tomorrow and I`ll probably drive it the couple miles back home and spray on some more Blazin` Banana wax

I`ll be able to give my car another wash in a couple of weeks and then I`ll throw on a fresh coat of my usual Optimum spray wax
    ZR2 -
    Glad all is good.
    Yes, Brake Fluid will absolutely damage paintwork, and you have to be very careful with it.. Yes, gasoline is nothing like it, thank goodness..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome ZR2. Mine is a 2018. Enjoy the forum. Paint should be fine. Did any damage happen to the plastic fender trim? Being you washed it off quick, you should be ok.

0805191328-00.jpg
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

^^^ Thank you! I have actually been a long-time lurker here even though this was my first post. I am not quite a car detailer but am an avid enthusiast at using the best products and washing my car properly, as well as taking steps to take care of my car cosmetically (and mechanically) as best I can.

No damage to the black plastic fender trims from what I can see....I might have JUST gotten lucky enough to escape any noticeable or any damage, fortunately.

And it is nice to see a fellow ZR2 owner on here! Have you done anything to yours? I have a leveling kit, tie rod sleeves, wheels and slightly bigger tires:

EDIT: well I tried to post a pic but I can`t seem to!

Post Thanks / Like

Two chemicals in gasoline that if allowed to have time, may stain, toluene and benzene. Area should be washed as soon as possible with soap and water to reduce the opportunity for staining.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Today`s autopaints are far more resistant to such damage than they use to be; I`ve never had a problem from gas on b/c paint (though it`s always been well-protected paint and I`ve seldom left it on there for long), but it absolutely *trashed* a point-of-importation touchup on my `85 Jag`s ss lacquer back when it was new.

Thread Information