Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Mike Philips is working with 3D Car Care

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    Good pick up by 3D I also liked the old 3D Donald where did he go
    I was wondering the same the William, Bill? I liked Donald Williams too. Sharp guy it seem.

Brad

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    What polishes and compounds do you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Amigo -
    I hope you and yours are all well and safe..

With my lovely Makita 9227C, I use the Meguiars 105/205 products, Sonax Perfect Finish, the entire Menzerna line, and Optimum Hyper-Polish, and not in this order.. Sometimes, I can get outstanding results with just using a little more aggressive pad and a polish, vs a compound, then polish, etc..

I also purchased a couple of Flex Rotaries when they first came out a long time ago; they are nice, compact, make a lot of gear noise, and are absolutely rock solid.. They have had a nice life in the cabinet, as back up machines, that I have never needed..

But I found that I really wanted the extra weight of the Makita, because I like to sometimes push down on it to get it to correct more, and faster.. That extra 10 lbs of direct drive is perfect for this..

And to help make the Makita`s larger footprint smaller, I just keep a small extension on it, and it can get pretty much into any small place, with smaller backing plates and pads..

This Makita has done an average, 10-hour complete paint correction/polish on around 80 paid Client`s vehicles a year. for several years, and never has had an issue or even needed brushes yet..
    And I`m not counting the extra vehicles done for family, as prizes for raffles for a good cause, some people who really need help and can`t afford it, etc...
    Dan F
    Likes noorth, Coatings=crack, glfnaz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Amigo -
    I hope you and yours are all well and safe..

With my lovely Makita 9227C, I use the Meguiars 105/205 products, Sonax Perfect Finish, the entire Menzerna line, and Optimum Hyper-Polish, and not in this order.. Sometimes, I can get outstanding results with just using a little more aggressive pad and a polish, vs a compound, then polish, etc..

I also purchased a couple of Flex Rotaries when they first came out a long time ago; they are nice, compact, make a lot of gear noise, and are absolutely rock solid.. They have had a nice life in the cabinet, as back up machines, that I have never needed..

But I found that I really wanted the extra weight of the Makita, because I like to sometimes push down on it to get it to correct more, and faster.. That extra 10 lbs of direct drive is perfect for this..

And to help make the Makita`s larger footprint smaller, I just keep a small extension on it, and it can get pretty much into any small place, with smaller backing plates and pads..

This Makita has done an average, 10-hour complete paint correction/polishes on around 80 paid Clients vehicles a year for several years, and never has had an issue or even needed brushes yet..
    And I`m not counting the extra vehicles done for family, as prizes for raffles for a good cause, some people who really need help and can`t afford it, etc...
    Dan F
    The Makita is a 5mm gear drive? Is that 10lbs of force or is the machine 10lbs heavier.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    The Makita is a 5mm gear drive? Is that 10lbs of force or is the machine 10lbs heavier.

There is a spiral bevel gear in the Makita, I don`t know the size..

I weighed the machine fully loaded, backing plate, pad, and it weighed in at 10lbs.. This is the 10lbs I referred to..
    Have not ever measured how much downforce weight I put on on it sometimes, but it is easily more than 10lbs..
    I like that this 9227C has a speed compensator so that it will keep the speed the same no matter how much weight I press down on it..

Lastly, I have always stayed away from high speed, meaning 1,000 rpm/higher, (because I do not need higher speeds), and would rather let the pad, product, and paint (with that extra moisture, to keep them all happiest), have the nicest, longest, meeting they can have. And, it helps keep the heat from friction down..

And then, I like to work the area long enough to be almost perfectly clear, so I can see how it is correcting, and keep the pad going on there to do final clean up, so there is hardly anything left to wipe off..

Yes, this means I will use more pads on some. I like to wipe off the pads with a clean, small, white towel, as I go, to see what is coming off the panel and what color it is..
    Can get the pads to go longer with this wipe off process, but for sure, any pad will eventually just stop doing its job, because all the pores are full, and needs to be thrown into the bucket with snappy clean and water..
    A very handy addition is a nice roll around cart, I like the black hard plastic ones.. Less damage if it accidentally bumps into anything, has a bottom shelf, breaks down fast and easy to store and move. I put the machine, paint thickness meter, pads, product/s, white cleaning towels, microfiber towels, squirt bottle of pad conditioner, masking tape on it, and I don`t need to stop and go get anything..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I like makita to stokdog I have the rotary doesnt do much detailing anymore but I have had diamonds carbide cement disk and I do a lot of cement refinishing which is hard on it and I do alot of deck refinishing with other type of carbide disk it’s handled abuse well they seem over engineered which is probably the best trait to have

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information