Post Thanks / Like

Tornador: Just get the good one?

Looking to hear from folks who have played around on either side of this:

I`ve been thinking about getting a Tornador Black and the Velocity Vac attachment for a while now. Been wanting to do a reset of the carpets in both cars, and it seems like this setup would work great for loosening and extracting dirt/sand before applying any liquids for cleaning.

The other use that really has this on my radar would be for my work. I do car repair, not detailing, but after doing large repairs underhood I do like to "touch it up a bit" so the next time the customer opens the hood they can see their car was worked on by someone who cares.
    My approach recently has been to mist the underhood plastics with ONR @ rinseless ratio, then blow it off with compressed air. The liquid lifts the dirt, then the air helps blast it away (especially helps for corrugated hoses, nooks and crannies, etc). Then I do a final wipe with a misted microfiber and call it good.

It`s very clear nearly all of the cars I work on are essentially appliances for the owners, but the Autopian in me can`t help but try to help it look at least a little better. I`ve gotten a couple call backs from folks that have actually noticed and let me know they appreciated how nice it looked. I don`t go deep dive and do the whole underhood (fender lips, painted areas, etc), but it`s amazing the visual difference just cleaning up the plastics makes.

Given that what I`m doing technically is extra credit and has been working pretty well, it`s been a bit tough to justify the couple hundred bucks to get the Tornador and attachment. I haven`t been buying a ton of tools for work lately (being in the industry 20+ years helps on that front), so it`s not the end of the world; but it does feel more like a splurge than getting a tool I need to do my job well.

What I was wondering:

Folks with the Tornador - How`s it been? What uses have you found for it / how often do you reach for it?

The other thing that briefly flashed through my mind - there are a ton of clones out there that you can get for like $40. Anyone try these? I definitely wouldn`t expect Tornador build quality/reliability, but it could act as a gateway drug to see if I like that approach over what I was doing. Not sure if the Velocity Vac attachment would work with a copy though. I probably won`t go this route as it doesn`t feel right to support someone just knocking off a company that`s done the research/design.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tornador: Just get the good one?

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    What I was wondering:

Folks with the Tornador - How`s it been? What uses have you found for it / how often do you reach for it?
    I have a Tornador Black.

It doesn`t work *for me* the way it does for people on the Internet, and no amount of [messin`] around with it has changed that. But I do still find it useful for some things, and those things are along the lines of what you`re considering, but *don`t expect miracles*, just accept its limitations (which I think you`ll discover first-hand).

I`d buy "the real thing" since IMO it`s none too impressive and anything *less* impressive would be pointless.

I`d also order extra reservoirs/bottles for it so you can keep one full of RW and another full of distilled water.
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Thread Information