Post Thanks / Like

Steam cleaning paint

I’ve done a search on steam cleaning and don’t really find anything about steam cleaning paint. A customer sent me a video today if someone steam cleans paint. To me this seems more like a gimmick. The only real advantage I can think of is possibly using a couple less chemicals like bug remover, tar remover, wax remover, etc. are there any other real advantages to steam cleaning automotive paint? Any input would be appreciated.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Steam cleaning paint

I think it’s more of a gimmick for the uninformed. Steam by itself doesn’t provide any lubricity. You may as well wash with just water.

I’ve never had much success at all cleaning anything on an exterior with my steamer. It has its place for interiors but leave it out for anything exterior.
    shanesautodetail.com
    facebook.com/shanesautodetail
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, DaveT435 --
    Hope you guys have been all good and safe.

I have read of people who use these huge steamers to clean metal in places like the restaurant industry, where you want to remove grease quickly from metal burners, etc., and it makes sense that very hot water pressurized, would be able to do this and sanitize at the same time..
    The clue is huge steamer, pressure, and nozzle that fans out like perhaps a pressure washer..

I also have a great steamer, but it is no way ever going to be able to go all around the outside of any vehicle, and even less inside the engine compartment..

A good degreaser on really dirty cars, followed by my pressure washer has always taken enough gunk off (especially behind the gas filler door), that makes the good hand wash so much more effective and faster..

My VX5000 Steamer works just great inside a vehicle, as Shane has already noted, and that is all I ever want it to do- spot clean, sanitize, and leave the area/s ready for my Mytee HP60 Extractor to come in, add a little hot water under pressure, and then extract all the dirt out...

Dan F
    Likes DaveT435 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    I think it’s more of a gimmick for the uninformed. Steam by itself doesn’t provide any lubricity. You may as well wash with just water.

I’ve never had much success at all cleaning anything on an exterior with my steamer. It has its place for interiors but leave it out for anything exterior.
    I didn’t even think about the lack of lubrication. Great point.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I don`t think the heat would be good for the paint if done on a regular basis.
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Use of steam to clean a surface is dependent on temperature and water and the pressure the steam generates itself to clean, or more correctly, melt and dissolve, surface contaminants. Some high-end steam cleaners (Chief Steamers or Forador) have built-in pressure motors and are designed for cleaning exteriors. Also, since you are not touching the surface with anything but steam, there is little change of mechanical wash-induced swirls.
    Like any tool, it can be mis-used in its application or function and cause problems. That`s true of a pressure washer on paint as well IF the wrong nozzle spray pattern and pressure are used and its held too long in one location.

What steam cleaning an exterior brings to the table is it "ecological" advantage of cleaning without the use of chemicals. That said, it will not remove iron or ferrous deposits in paint, or etching. That requires some chemical action and /or mechanical abrasion to remove.

As far as lubricity, surfactants in soaps provide this needed characteristic. I personally think a 2-bucket wash with mechanical scrubbing with an appropriate wash media (microfiber noodle mitt for me) and a good car wash soap (Meg`s Detailer D110 Hyper Wash or Professional No. 62 Wash and Conditioner Shampoo) provides an excellent method for removing MOST contaminants from a vehicle`s exterior. Yes, there are contaminates in places that require spot cleaning, like tar or bugs, or an application of a ferrous remover to those painted parts so affected.
    Do I induce swirls from "wrong methodologies" in mechanical washing and wiping to dry the vehicle? Yes, but I live with that, knowing I`ve thoroughly cleaned a vehicles of its contaminants in a timely fashion (Sorry, I do not use the three-hour long Accumulator-method. Just -sayin`...)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    (Sorry, I do not use the three-hour long Accumulator-method. Just -sayin`...)
    Heh heh, I`d simply *LOVE* to be able to wash something...anything..in just three hours! I thought I was under 5 on the A8 once, but when I actually checked the clock, sigh...no such luck. Maybe if I skipped something I could do it, but well... nah.

Though I bet I`ve done my "Home Touchless" that fast...three hours sounds about right for what I consider a "glorified rinsing".

Thread Information