Post Thanks / Like

PPF dirt lines on white car

Hi,

Looking to get Xpel Ultimate installed on my new Wrangler 4xe. The installer can hide some but not all of the edges, which I can live with but am concerned about dirt building up along the exposed edges. This will bother me as much as a chip. Is there any way to prevent this or can you effectively clean the edges and get them back to perfectly clean?

Thanks
    Likes DAC17 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PPF dirt lines on white car

I also have PPF on my 2019 Fiat Spider 124, and looking forward to any thoughts on this.
    2021 Acura RDX, Pearl Red
    2022 Cadillac CT-4V Blackwing, Blaze Orange
    2022 Mazda MX-5, Snowflake White

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sjbiss View Post
    Hi,

Looking to get Xpel Ultimate installed on my new Wrangler 4xe. The installer can hide some but not all of the edges, which I can live with but am concerned about dirt building up along the exposed edges. This will bother me as much as a chip. Is there any way to prevent this or can you effectively clean the edges and get them back to perfectly clean?

Thanks
    Sjbiss --
    Happy to know you !

Have Detailed lots of vehicles with, and all of my own vehicles have ppf..

One of the most important things is to Always work from Behind the Edge/s and past the edges when washing, polishing, anything, on the ppf and surrounding panels, if there are..

Anytime you push anything Toward the edge, there is a great chance it will get lodged underneath that edge..

Another thing you can do when working around the ppf is to put an 1/4 or 1/8" inch wide painters tape just over the entire edge to insure it will remain clean..

Just be mindful of those edges and always work toward them from Behind the edges so nothing gets pushed into the edge..

I never paint correct close to an edge without first running that 1/8" tape line down the edge first.. I put more of that tape on the ppf and just leave a tiny bit to just close the edge, and I really watch what I am doing that entire set of passes.

When I pull the tape off, I run the machine carefully over that edge and just lift up the pad as I pass the edge, again working from Behind the edge toward it..

Also, make sure whenever you are near the edges, you have almost no product compound, polish, wax, etc., on the pad, applicator, etc., so you do not accidently push something down right at that place...

If something ever gets into the edge, see if you can rinse it out with a soapy water mixture and something that won`t also get caught in the edge..Perhaps, a really tight small foam sponge, a very gentle, soft, small tip paint brush, no hard plastic bristles..
    Dan F
    Likes Adam_W2005, bob m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dan! Appreciate the helpful tips.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Sjbiss --
    Happy to know you !

Have Detailed lots of vehicles with, and all of my own vehicles have ppf..

One of the most important things is to Always work from Behind the Edge/s and past the edges when washing, polishing, anything, on the ppf and surrounding panels, if there are..

Anytime you push anything Toward the edge, there is a great chance it will get lodged underneath that edge..

Another thing you can do when working around the ppf is to put an 1/4 or 1/8" inch wide painters tape just over the entire edge to insure it will remain clean..

Just be mindful of those edges and always work toward them from Behind the edges so nothing gets pushed into the edge..

I never paint correct close to an edge without first running that 1/8" tape line down the edge first.. I put more of that tape on the ppf and just leave a tiny bit to just close the edge, and I really watch what I am doing that entire set of passes.

When I pull the tape off, I run the machine carefully over that edge and just lift up the pad as I pass the edge, again working from Behind the edge toward it..

Also, make sure whenever you are near the edges, you have almost no product compound, polish, wax, etc., on the pad, applicator, etc., so you do not accidently push something down right at that place...

If something ever gets into the edge, see if you can rinse it out with a soapy water mixture and something that won`t also get caught in the edge..Perhaps, a really tight small foam sponge, a very gentle, soft, small tip paint brush, no hard plastic bristles..
    Dan F
    One other question, how do these clear bras really look after a few years. My other concern is the cost vs real world longevity and how long they stay looking great.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sjbiss View Post
    One other question, how do these clear bras really look after a few years. My other concern is the cost vs real world longevity and how long they stay looking great.
    I have on my 2009 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 the same clear bra that was installed in 2009 = 12 years ago, and it still looks great. No defects, no issues, its beautiful..
    The improvement in clear bra material every year, is much better of course, so I would not worry about anything..

The last clearbra I had installed was at the end of 2015, on a new to me 2007 Acura TL Type-S vehicle; it was made by 3M, and it is just beautiful..
    Dan F

Thread Information