Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the art of detailing lost?

Todd Helme & I sit down with Alex Russel with the Detail Solutions Podcast to talk about the art of detailing being a lost art

Link removed per forum rules. You may of course import a sound clip or video to this forum.

I really think detailers have gotten soft with the way they display their work these days. So many are just are just “coating & correction experts” and aren’t well versed in all aspects of the craft. With many refusing to even do interiors even.

I hope posting a link doesn’t go against forum rules? If the link gets removed search for “Detail Solutions Podcast - Is the art of detailing lost”.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!
    Likes The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is the art of detailing lost?

David I just read your last 2 thread`s you posted today....you are 100% right....I am a weekend warrior as far as detailing.... trying to figure out what the heck to use on my car...sealant...coating...graphene....wax ... polish.....on and on ....I blame the manufactures ...I buy a product one day and wow the next week they come out with something new,,, ok...now what do I do with the old product...I have so many products that I don`t use any more...I relate this to golf manufactures,,,this ball is goes straighter.... this club hits the ball further....again on and on...BS....hope I made sense...
    Likes David Fermani liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Is it the fact detailers are not capable of doing the same level of work, or is it market factors driving work to the less involved end of the detailing spectrum? People may not be willing to part with their cars long enough and/or be willing to pay for a four-day job that returns their car to a factory fresh condition inside and out?

I too am a weekend warrior so I`m only going from observation. When walking across the parking lot at work everyday, I see a sea of average cars and a few interesting vehicles. Most aren`t very clean on the outside, and the inside ranges from spotless to nasty. Even when looking at nice stuff at a Cars and Coffee it isn`t much different. Vehicles exterior ranges from just washed to fairly dirty (by my standards) and the interiors of most can be described as "lived in". Not filthy, but not pristine either. Paint ranges from light swirls to a hologramed mess.

To me, it seems the average vehicle owner is perfectly happy with clean and presentable and not looking for the level of work which would allow a high quality detailer to throw all of his skill, experience and techniques at a vehicle. The owner of a museum quality classic or a garage queen exoctic might be after that level of work, but those people are few and far between. This drives a detailer to do more simple jobs which are easier because that is what the customers want are willing to pay.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes Oneheadlite, David Fermani, Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Listening now. Dude I know owned 1 of 2 road-going 993 GT1`s. It was the white one.

I guess detailing is like the photography business these days. Everyone and their grandmother has a digital SLR and can shoot an event for a couple hundred bucks. But without a decent eye and knowing what to look for, they can`t tell the difference between the $500 to $5,000 to $15,000 wedding photographer`s photos.
    Likes David Fermani, Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

David Fermani:
    If anyone should know what "professional detailing" is like and about, it is you, since you ARE one of my-own-rated Autopian All-Stars,.

There was, and still is, a great deal of discussion and debate on whether detailing is an art-form or an applied human skill-set. I am of the later interpretation, BUT just as in scenic painting, there is an application of the ability and human skill of art painting to MAKE a the scene appear as art and what is painted can be abstract, interpretive according to the "style" associated with an artist , or detailed. Each of these can render the painting of the same scene `artistic" and each picture can have its value to the person viewing the art. Or as the saying goes, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
    I do NOT think that applies to detailing vehicles. Detailing a vehicle can look over-the-top, good, so-so, or just plain bad. Nor can I tell specifically a `style of detailing" as determine that a particular detailer did this vehicle. I CAN tell the quality of a detail and the attention to detail how good a vehicle looks. To me that`s the application of a skill-set by a detailer and just as in painting, there are great detailers (you being one of them) and there are so-so detailers, or "hacks" as we call them. Individuals who THINK they are good detailers. (Like you, Captain Obvious.. Just saying`)

That said, while the skill of detailing takes on SO many variables and abilities for detailing tasks, the most important to me is paint correction. How to handle a polishing machine, whether long-throw dual action or rotary and how to "read" paint surfaces and choose specific pad types and compound or polish to perfectly correct and finish out a surface takes practice and experience that can ONLY be developed over time. Granted, some of these "skills" can be taught and its better learned if taught by someone who who already has those skill-sets, but the student must possess some natural ability and a desire to learn and improve to become great detailer.

Detailing is a difficult skill to truly master. Every aspect of detailing changes as vehicles change in design and materials used to manufacture them, and the car-care product and equipment are developed to adapt and keep up with those vehicle changes. It NOT a stagnant career or hobby.
    That is one reason I subscribe to this forum; to keep up with what`s new in detailing and how it relates to the automotive world. The information shared by fellow Autopians, such as yourself, is so important to the development and enjoyment of my detailing hobby to this point. And yes, I deeply grateful for those contributions by so many who take the time to post their reviews and pics of detailing-related subjects. It has reduced the trial-and-error, school-of-hard-knocks, frustration, or just-plain mistakes and faux pas out of my detailing experience.

But that`s the whole point: detailing is still a hands-on, physically-demanding experience and to get really good at it requires practice and application of what has been learned, and yes, as stated, some human skill. Some don`t want to take the time to do that OR develop bad self-taught techniques OR cut corners and pay no attention to detail.
    Or as the saying goes, "If it were easy, EVERYBODY would do it."

That`s why detailing, the art-form is being lost. Everyone wants it to be easy and they want it now with no work. It`s the expectation, and lifestyle by many in this generation and society. AND because of our dependence on the government to do everything for us, many have become lazy and indolent from current or expectant "entitlements", but that`s a whole different topic that will get me banned, so we will not go there.
    Let`s just put it this way: "The only place where `success` comes before `work` is the dictionary."
    (Captain Obvious: AKA, Captain Cliche)
    GB detailer
    Likes PoisonTheWell, David Fermani liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Fermani View Post
    Todd Helme & I sit down with Alex Russel with the Detail Solutions Podcast to talk about the art of detailing being a lost art

Link removed per forum rules. You may of course import a sound clip or video to this forum.

I really think detailers have gotten soft with the way they display their work these days. So many are just are just “coating & correction experts” and aren’t well versed in all aspects of the craft. With many refusing to even do interiors even.

I hope posting a link doesn’t go against forum rules? If the link gets removed search for “Detail Solutions Podcast - Is the art of detailing lost”.
    The Art of Detailing is Not Lost to Real Detailers..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Dan F
    MY EXACT THOUGHT!!!
    Its dead if we all let it die. I personally am always going to do an exceptional job on every car I get to do. Whether its an interior job, a Wash & Wax, a one step, or a full 3 step detail with coating. I dont compromise my quality for speed and my customers have come to expect to be wowed even though they already know their car is going to look great. IF you arent trying to knock their eyes out of their heads with your work then the ART is dead for you. Not for me at all.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Is it the fact detailers are not capable of doing the same level of work, or is it market factors driving work to the less involved end of the detailing spectrum?
    Both! I think detailers have become lazy and are only after the quick correction and coating jobs. The days of treating this as an art form that distinguishes them differently from the next person have been lost. The majority are very cookie cutter like. And this funnels down to the consumer because they aren’t presented with a different (artful) approach. I also think the art form is fueled by passion for pushing boundaries which again have been shelved.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PoisonTheWell View Post
    Listening now. Dude I know owned 1 of 2 road-going 993 GT1`s. It was the white one.
    Funny you mention this car. It’s had quite an interesting ownership actually. It’s was once owned by Alios Ruf and was used for the development of the CTR3. Now part of a massive car collection in Bahrain. I’m told it’s the most valuable Porsche in existence and multiple offers of more than $30M have been turned down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    David Fermani:
    If anyone should know what "professional detailing" is like and about, it is you, since you ARE one of my-own-rated Autopian All-Stars,.

There was, and still is, a great deal of discussion and debate on whether detailing is an art-form or an applied human skill-set. I am of the later interpretation, BUT just as in scenic painting, there is an application of the ability and human skill of art painting to MAKE a the scene appear as art and what is painted can be abstract, interpretive according to the "style" associated with an artist , or detailed. Each of these can render the painting of the same scene `artistic" and each picture can have its value to the person viewing the art. Or as the saying goes, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
    I do NOT think that applies to detailing vehicles. Detailing a vehicle can look over-the-top, good, so-so, or just plain bad. Nor can I tell specifically a `style of detailing" as determine that a particular detailer did this vehicle. I CAN tell the quality of a detail and the attention to detail how good a vehicle looks. To me that`s the application of a skill-set by a detailer and just as in painting, there are great detailers (you being one of them) and there are so-so detailers, or "hacks" as we call them. Individuals who THINK they are good detailers. (Like you, Captain Obvious.. Just saying`)

That said, while the skill of detailing takes on SO many variables and abilities for detailing tasks, the most important to me is paint correction. How to handle a polishing machine, whether long-throw dual action or rotary and how to "read" paint surfaces and choose specific pad types and compound or polish to perfectly correct and finish out a surface takes practice and experience that can ONLY be developed over time. Granted, some of these "skills" can be taught and its better learned if taught by someone who who already has those skill-sets, but the student must possess some natural ability and a desire to learn and improve to become great detailer.

Detailing is a difficult skill to truly master. Every aspect of detailing changes as vehicles change in design and materials used to manufacture them, and the car-care product and equipment are developed to adapt and keep up with those vehicle changes. It NOT a stagnant career or hobby.
    That is one reason I subscribe to this forum; to keep up with what`s new in detailing and how it relates to the automotive world. The information shared by fellow Autopians, such as yourself, is so important to the development and enjoyment of my detailing hobby to this point. And yes, I deeply grateful for those contributions by so many who take the time to post their reviews and pics of detailing-related subjects. It has reduced the trial-and-error, school-of-hard-knocks, frustration, or just-plain mistakes and faux pas out of my detailing experience.

But that`s the whole point: detailing is still a hands-on, physically-demanding experience and to get really good at it requires practice and application of what has been learned, and yes, as stated, some human skill. Some don`t want to take the time to do that OR develop bad self-taught techniques OR cut corners and pay no attention to detail.
    Or as the saying goes, "If it were easy, EVERYBODY would do it."

That`s why detailing, the art-form is being lost. Everyone wants it to be easy and they want it now with no work. It`s the expectation, and lifestyle by many in this generation and society. AND because of our dependence on the government to do everything for us, many have become lazy and indolent from current or expectant "entitlements", but that`s a whole different topic that will get me banned, so we will not go there.
    Let`s just put it this way: "The only place where `success` comes before `work` is the dictionary."
    (Captain Obvious: AKA, Captain Cliche)
    Amazing response! Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed explanation on your interpretation. That kind of passion and expression, through writing, is what is so important and parallels the art form of our craft. And it’s something that has been dwindling through the rise of Facebook & Instagram as the entire process has been converted to just a few mediocre pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Dan F
    I can agree with that if we can agree that “Real Detailers” are becoming few & far between. I.E. As real detailers fall into the shadows, so does the artwork they convey.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    IF you arent trying to knock their eyes out of their heads with your work then the ART is dead for you. Not for me at all.
    Thank you for that! It’s spot on! ��

Post Thanks / Like

Both! I think detailers have become lazy and are only after the quick correction and coating jobs. The days of treating this as an art form that distinguishes them differently from the next person have been lost. The majority are very cookie cutter like. And this funnels down to the consumer because they aren’t presented with a different (artful) approach. I also think the art form is fueled by passion for pushing boundaries which again have been shelved.
    I wonder if some of what you`re describing follow the general decline in auto enthusiasts in general. The automobile is becoming an appliance no different than your stove or refrigerator and people think of them as such sadly, even those with more expensive, rare, or unique vehicles view them very differently than they would have in the past. The fanatic dedication to keeping them pristine has faded into just, "good enough".

The realm of the "artist" may be shifting to the collectors wishing to restore or maintain investment-grade collections. The "cookie cutter`s" domain seems to catch the enthusiasts who want something better, but not willing/able to pay for the artist. Everyone else heads for the tunnel wash...if at all.

Completely in another realm are the nutcases like me who buy the tools and do it ourselves. Average Joe`s who love to do the work on their average vehicles for the joy of the work and and the love of cars as physical objects. My daughter`s 2010 Honda Fit is the best looking one in town...probably not detailed out to your standards, but the best I`m able/willing to do.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

And it’s something that has been dwindling through the rise of Facebook & Instagram as the entire process has been converted to just a few mediocre pictures.
    I don`t consider myself anywhere near the top of the Detailer List, not even the List of Captain Obvious

Pictures has been a sore spot for me.

It would take me a good deal of time to narrow so many pictures down to a more suitable-to-post number. Then change the sizes, names in some cases. Plenty of work just to get that far.

Then [expletive deleted] Photobucket happened. My hard work was gone.

So I slowly started up again, this time posting to the forums themselves as hosts. Figured my pics were safe there. It was even touted as such.

Nope. Some of my threads have lost those pics, due some glitch in some IT type stuff I know nothing about.

Yeah, I`m not so big on posting pics like I used to. Even on Instagram....I take a long time to post them after a job is done. I just don`t have the desire to post them, then fear losing them again. Sad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I wonder if some of what you`re describing follow the general decline in auto enthusiasts in general. The automobile is becoming an appliance no different than your stove or refrigerator and people think of them as such sadly, even those with more expensive, rare, or unique vehicles view them very differently than they would have in the past. The fanatic dedication to keeping them pristine has faded into just, "good enough".

The realm of the "artist" may be shifting to the collectors wishing to restore or maintain investment-grade collections. The "cookie cutter`s" domain seems to catch the enthusiasts who want something better, but not willing/able to pay for the artist. Everyone else heads for the tunnel wash...if at all.

Completely in another realm are the nutcases like me who buy the tools and do it ourselves. Average Joe`s who love to do the work on their average vehicles for the joy of the work and and the love of cars as physical objects. My daughter`s 2010 Honda Fit is the best looking one in town...probably not detailed out to your standards, but the best I`m able/willing to do.
    I agree, a lot of the car culture is fading. A lot of other hobbies as well. Seems a lot of people live their life in an online world. Kinda sad but it kept the beaches and trails underutilized until the pandemic, which was nice for me.

Traffic in metro areas got so bad that people want cars to drive them. And on the other side of the spectrum cars got so fast it took the fun out of driving them on the street, at least for those that were averse to jail time.

I think we’re going to see a big shift to electric cars. It’ll be a buying opportunity for those that want older muscle much like the 80s shift to smaller cars.

For those that do this as a business, it’s time to pivot a little or face extinction.
    Likes Desertnate, Old Pirate liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information