Post Thanks / Like

Back after a long time with 2 new vehicles. Couple questions

I got into detailing some years ago when I had a nice sports car, but sold the car and haven’t really done anything for ~10 years. We’ve recently bought 2 new Jeeps, a Wrangler and a Gladiator, both 2021. Have a couple questions about what to do with new vehicles, and detailing in general

1. What should I do to the new vehicles to start off on the right foot?

2. I have some tubs of paste wax (Blackfire Midnight Sun and a few others) that have shrunk up and cracked. Is there any way to “revive” them, maybe by melting and repouring, or are they garbage?

3. I also have some liquid products (Blackfire Wet Diamond, M105, M205) that have been in the garage and I’m sure have frozen at some point, or multiple points. Are these probably junk?

4. I have an old original Peter Cable 7424 which is obviously obsolete. I also have a bunch of Lake Country Hydro-tech pads that are new in packaging. Are these still good or are they obsolete now as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Back after a long time with 2 new vehicles. Couple questions

Glad to hear back from you !

4. The Porter Cable 7424 if it still works is just fine.
    Yes, there are a lot of machines made since then; yes, you can spend a lot of money on them if you want..

The Lake Country Hydro Tech pads - they will still be fine.. I have lots of them, and they are all I ever need and use..

The Cyan (Blue) cuts more than the Tangerine (Orange) one, but both will finish down to LSP level or close to it, every time..

If you decide you don`t want those pads, let me know and I will buy them from you..

3.. Hard to know how those products will be, but I would just shake them up for a while and see how they look when I put a little bit on something..Do they still smell the same? I remember those products especially from yes, a long time ago too! : Lovely products back then.. I have no more Blackfire Wet Diamond but have the M105, 101, and 205... Still great products today..

2. I have a tub of Midnight Sun too! Have not looked at it forever.. It may still be ok.. Just let it warm up in the sun or somewhere warm and see how it acts when you push it all together, is what I would do..

1. Congrats on the new Jeeps! Wow! Bet they are swell !! I still have my new 2009 Grand Cherokee Limited 4X4 in that beautiful black... Love it..
    If the paint is nice and smooth and free of defects to your own eyes/taste, then just clean them up and apply the Midnight Sun on them if that is the look and longevity you like and want...

If you want something else, then tell us what you want to have on their paintwork.. Do you want to have to maintain it a lot, a little, not so much, bi-annually, annually, what??
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Glad to hear back from you !

4. The Porter Cable 7424 if it still works is just fine.
    Yes, there are a lot of machines made since then; yes, you can spend a lot of money on them if you want..

The Lake Country Hydro Tech pads - they will still be fine.. I have lots of them, and they are all I ever need and use..

The Cyan (Blue) cuts more than the Tangerine (Orange) one, but both will finish down to LSP level or close to it, every time..

If you decide you don`t want those pads, let me know and I will buy them from you..

3.. Hard to know how those products will be, but I would just shake them up for a while and see how they look when I put a little bit on something..Do they still smell the same? I remember those products especially from yes, a long time ago too! : Lovely products back then.. I have no more Blackfire Wet Diamond but have the M105, 101, and 205... Still great products today..

2. I have a tub of Midnight Sun too! Have not looked at it forever.. It may still be ok.. Just let it warm up in the sun or somewhere warm and see how it acts when you push it all together, is what I would do..

1. Congrats on the new Jeeps! Wow! Bet they are swell !! I still have my new 2009 Grand Cherokee Limited 4X4 in that beautiful black... Love it..
    If the paint is nice and smooth and free of defects to your own eyes/taste, then just clean them up and apply the Midnight Sun on them if that is the look and longevity you like and want...

If you want something else, then tell us what you want to have on their paintwork.. Do you want to have to maintain it a lot, a little, not so much, bi-annually, annually, what??
    Dan F
    I don’t remember the PC 7424 working all that well when it was new. I didn’t really know any better at the time to get a better machine. I will probably keep the Hydro-tech pads and buy a better polisher. I did see that the pads are CHEAP on auto geek though if you want more of them. Cheap enough that it wouldn’t be worth packing up and shipping them to me. I think the BFWD I have has separated. I might need to get something to mix it back up. I doubt shaking it will do any good. Haven’t really checked the polishes. I’m not sure what I want exactly. Part of me fees like I should do a ceramic coating but part of me feels like that’s overkill and a nice coat of wax should be enough. I’ll try to revive the waxes that I have and see if they look good on the jeeps

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of people here like the Griot`s line of Random Orbitals, and they have a great warranty.. I think the last time they talked about them, they liked the G-9 model a lot.. Yes, it will be better than your P/C 7424, if you are going to go over the vehicle paintwork..

There are a LOT of choices at the Autopia Store here for products. Just looking at all of them could take an hour or more easily..
    They even have a lot of Blackfire products and still carry the Midnight Sun Wax..

If you decide to try your waxes you already have that is a great starting point to begin at..

If I had to pick one wax out of the many even at this Store alone, it will be this one - https://www.autopia-carcare.com/fini...l#.YMgOyOCpH3g

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by king nothing View Post
    I got into detailing some years ago when I had a nice sports car, but sold the car and haven’t really done anything for ~10 years. We’ve recently bought 2 new Jeeps, a Wrangler and a Gladiator, both 2021. Have a couple questions about what to do with new vehicles, and detailing in general

1. What should I do to the new vehicles to start off on the right foot?

2. I have some tubs of paste wax (Blackfire Midnight Sun and a few others) that have shrunk up and cracked. Is there any way to “revive” them, maybe by melting and repouring, or are they garbage?

3. I also have some liquid products (Blackfire Wet Diamond, M105, M205) that have been in the garage and I’m sure have frozen at some point, or multiple points. Are these probably junk?

4. I have an old original Peter Cable 7424 which is obviously obsolete. I also have a bunch of Lake Country Hydro-tech pads that are new in packaging. Are these still good or are they obsolete now as well?

#1- I suppose it depends on your goals. I`m in a similar position as you. I stopped following detailing after about ~2011 and was shocked to see all the coatings, new machines, and new polishes. Would suggest you start simple. Im getting back up to speed via re-establishing the first step: washing. Learning about new rinseless washes. In addition, going thru my old products as well to see what is still viable.
    #2- Your BF Midnight sun will be fine. I have some from 10+ years ago. Just warm it up a tad, and it will resettle. But really no need to worry about the cracks.
    #3- I hate saying this, but just try them out. I have an unopened bottle of M105 and hardly used BFWD.. hate to write them off, but it appears that there are other items that possibly have surpassed them in performance and ease of use, that might be a better use of limited time.
    #4- just because there are better machines now doesn`t mean your machine suddenly works worse than it used to. Now, having said that, I just upgraded from my original Meguiars G110v1 to the new cordless Flex XCE machine just to make things quicker and easier. But your PC and pads are still just fine.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post
    Thanks king nothing thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I needed an upgrade over my PC. The Griots came highly recommended for the price. I don’t see where it does much better than my PC. It does have more power but I also have to be very careful or I overheat it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    I thought I needed an upgrade over my PC. The Griots came highly recommended for the price. I don’t see where it does much better than my PC. It does have more power but I also have to be very careful or I overheat it.
    That seens like a defect. I’d call griot’s I can power through my whole car with my g15 with heat never being a problem.

Op read through the forums here and on autogeek. Mostly you’ll hear Griots is a far superior machine. Most don’t have issues although at launch they seem to still have kinks.

They’re are higher end if your willing to spend more money.

One recommendation I’d make with 2 jeeps with a-lot of flat panels is look into a long throw 15mm polisher. It will cover more ground.

Post Thanks / Like

king nothing:
    One aspect the beginning hobbyist detailers overlook is car washing and the products and equipment needed to "properly" do this detailing task.
    If I was starting out taking care of a new (or slightly pre-owned, new-to-me) vehicle is to invest in vehicle washing products and equipment.
    5 (or 3)-gallon Buckets, Grit Guards, microfiber noodle wash mitts,bug pads, wheel-cleaning pads, brushes of various types (one for the rim brake dust, one for the egg-crate-patterned grill, one for the tires, one for the vinyl trim or door/trunk/rear hatch jams and hinges), microfiber drying towels, microfibers for use with the various exterior cleaning products listed below, a 50-foot (or 75 foot) 3/4-inch diameter industrial/contractor-grade garden hose and spray nozzle are things to consider.
    Then there are products of vehicle wash soaps, tire (or wheel) cleaning, brake dust (rim) removers, bug cleaners, All-Purpose Cleaners or De-Greasers (for door jams and wheel wells), iron decontamination cleaners, tar removers, and window cleaners to consider. That is just "the basics" in my mind. As you can see and guess, you`ll have quite an investment in these products and equipment alone. BUT, vehicle washing is the one detailing task you will do the most of, so why not start there.

Most vehicle exterior "problems" are the result of improper washing techniques or poor or neglected cleaning. How many newer vehicles do you see whose rims look black from brake dust? A LOT! Or even dirty wheel wells because tunnel car washes do not clean effectively in those areas. Or bugs on the front grill or bumpers because automated car washes do not remove them? Or even bird droppings that sit on panels or hoods and etch the paint because the vehicle owner/leasee does not care (or know) enough to use a rinse-less wash and spot clean these problems when they occur?

You can add a drying blower and power washer and foam lance as nice-to-have tools for vehicle washing later on.
    (My "redneck" drying blower is a Toro Variable-Speed leaf blower, Model No. 51619. Works for "cheapskate" me. Just NEVER use it as a vacuum to pick up and shred leaves or lawn debris. It`s a mess the next time you try to dry a vehicle.
    Live and learn...Or as 1920`s humorist and writer Will Rodger`s said, "I guess common sense ain`t so common!")
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I would get a foam gun for your hose and use it right away. I would look into Accumulator’s extreme wash technique and you may very well enjoy not having to polish your car indefinitely ( like me going on 11 years) if you master the technique.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. I think I’m going to invest in a foam cannon because it kinda looks like fun. I’ll focus on wash products and try to use some of the waxes that I have on hand.

Thanks dgage thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

king nothing- Welcome back! Congrats o the new vehicles

FWIW, IME many waxes that`re "all dried out" still work perfectly fine. It can be sorta surprising even, stuff that`s "just gotta be no good!" giving great results after all.

Bill D touched on my Wash Technique, but I`ve never done a proper write-up Just try to not mar your paint so you don`t have to do much correction...IMO that`s the single biggest thing, maybe in all of Detailing! If all you gotta do is wash and wax, life`s a whole lot easier.

Thread Information