Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Garage Lighting - Looking for recommendations

Do most go with 5000k color temp? Inside the house I tend to stick with warmer bulbs (not a fan of the sterile feel with super white light inside), but if the higher K is beneficial in the shop than I could see going that route.

Trying to decide between 4K and 5K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    Do most go with 5000k color temp? Inside the house I tend to stick with warmer bulbs (not a fan of the sterile feel with super white light inside), but if the higher K is beneficial in the shop than I could see going that route.

Trying to decide between 4K and 5K.
    Hey, this is all personal preference, always had "cool white" 4100K at work, we changed to 5000K LED`s and everyone liked it better. At home I was doing the "soft white" 2700K CFL`s, an electrician recommended 3500K "bright white" so I went to that and liked that better, have since been moving to 5000K. I think the interim change to 3500K damped the shock of going from 2700K to 5000K. I think we`re just used to the "warm" look because that`s what a tungsten filament gives you, once you get used to the cooler colors they don`t seem sterile. At least that`s been my experience, but as I said, personal preference, age (eyesight changes), etc. all play into this.

For the garage I wouldn`t hesitate on the 5000K.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

My entire house was changed over to 5k and some 5500k lights many years ago.

Now I can`t go anywhere with warmer lights without seeing the yellow and brown cast they emit. It`s so much harder to see with those warm bulbs. Much more eye strain.

In the garage 5k at least. If you are working on a car and light temp matters that much you`ll turn off the overheads and use scangrips (or similar) with more accurate light output.

Only downside of cooler light is typically less accurate color output. But in the end all LEDs are pretty poor at that. There is ok output bulbs and there is garbage lighting. I`ve yet to find high CRI, high R9 LEDs that are bright enough and cost effective enough to install in a garage.
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
    My entire house was changed over to 5k and some 5500k lights many years ago.

Now I can`t go anywhere with warmer lights without seeing the yellow and brown cast they emit. It`s so much harder to see with those warm bulbs. Much more eye strain.
    As I was suggesting earlier, if you are used to soft white, then daylight bulbs seem very "sterile", but once you get used to daylight bulbs, soft white is very yellow and hard to see in. My point is...I agree, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
    Only downside of cooler light is typically less accurate color output. But in the end all LEDs are pretty poor at that.
    Is that correct? I thought the LED`s were low 80`s CRI which is much better than the old "cool white" fluorescents which were terrible, IIRC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information