Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Why use AIO if it doesn`t last long?

So I have a bottle of HD Speed that I`ve used in the past. I`ve always enjoyed using it and it seems to be a favorite among people here.. but it doesn`t last long. So why use an AIO like HD Speed?

I didn`t want to waste the product and I do enjoy using it so I went ahead and polished my 2014 silver Impreza with it and immediately topped it with FK1000P (I had a can of this to from a couple years ago).

When the bottle of HD Speed is empty should I get a regular polish with a better cut to it so I can get through the polishing process quicker since I`m going to have to top it anyway or are there AIO products that last much longer?

Also, how should I maintain the HD Speed/FK1000P I have on the car now?
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Why use AIO if it doesn`t last long?

AIOs are a compromise. You typically trade off correcting ability, finishing ability, and protection durability.

What you get in return is time savings.

For someone doing a one step paint enhancement for money (perhaps little money) an AIO is often a go to product as the time spent on a process that produces better results is often not worth it.

To extend durability of protection you could always top your AIO with more protection but then you have to ask yourself if you are doing another step of protection why bother with the AIO?

In fact depending on what protection you choose the wax/sealant in the AIO might limit it`s durability. Which means it could limit your options for additional protection (can`t coat with the sealant in the AIO still on the paint for instance).
    Likes jem7sk, Stokdgs, danlc95, William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why use AIO if it doesn`t last long?

When hd speed first came out it provided protection for a very short time. The paint also became dull again after just a couple of weeks. At some point they did something to change this. I`m finding hd speed lasting as long as 6 months (along with the paint looking decent).
    Another reason I use speed is its ease of use, plus it doesn`t stain trim and is reasonably priced.
    I don`t find any other waxes or sealants lasting any longer and I`m trying to keep my shelves free of unnecessary products.

For me it`s either hd speed or a ceramic coating. It`s really up to the customers budget/taste.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bad penny View Post
    When hd speed first came out it provided protection for a very short time. The paint also became dull again after just a couple of weeks. At some point they did something to change this. I`m finding hd speed lasting as long as 6 months (along with the paint looking decent).
    Another reason I use speed is its ease of use, plus it doesn`t stain trim and is reasonably priced.
    I don`t find any other waxes or sealants lasting any longer and I`m trying to keep my shelves free of unnecessary products.

For me it`s either hd speed or a ceramic coating. It`s really up to the customers budget/taste.
    Wow 6 months? That`s not bad. Then did they start making it last that long? I`ve had mine for a couple of years. Do you do anything to maintain it when you wash?
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
    AIOs are a compromise. You typically trade off correcting ability, finishing ability, and protection durability.

What you get in return is time savings.

For someone doing a one step paint enhancement for money (perhaps little money) an AIO is often a go to product as the time spent on a process that produces better results is often not worth it.

To extend durability of protection you could always top your AIO with more protection but then you have to ask yourself if you are doing another step of protection why bother with the AIO?

In fact depending on what protection you choose the wax/sealant in the AIO might limit it`s durability. Which means it could limit your options for additional protection (can`t coat with the sealant in the AIO still on the paint for instance).
    Yes, I think for ease of use and longevity I should just get a polish that cuts and finishes quicker in one step and then follow with Optiseal and then maintained every month with Optiseal as a drying aid?

How does everyone here maintain their hard work and when do you know it is time to get the machine out and re-polish if you are keeping it maintained?
    Likes Stokdgs, William_Wallace liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jem7sk View Post
    Yes, I think for ease of use and longevity I should just get a polish that cuts and finishes quicker in one step and then follow with Optiseal and then maintained every month with Optiseal as a drying aid?

How does everyone here maintain their hard work and when do you know it is time to get the machine out and re-polish if you are keeping it maintained?

jem7sk -

Yes, AIO = all in one - trying to do 3 things in one process, has to have its limits..
    I think even Optimum has one called GPS = Glaze, Polish, Seal...

None of my Clients have ever wanted just that, but many people really want just that.. It is convenient, less money than many specialized products, less time spent doing the work.. Then, there are the trade offs, right ?

What do YOU want to See, everytime you look at your vehicles ? This is the ultimate question..

To maintain anything on there, it is always best to use a wash soap type of product that does not want to work at stripping off the LSP you put on there, right ?
    So, find a mild one that does not do that and this will help the longevity..

When does it need it again ? When you look at them, and they do not look like - "What YOU want to SEE, everytime you look at your vehicles"..

Of course, the more you can keep your vehicles in the garage, covered, etc., their paint will always look better longer, the less you rub on them, the less chance you have, to introduce things that take away the clarity you once had, so think about that part too..

Personally, since they invented CarPro Reset, It is all I ever use on my 2 personal vehicles, and for sure on any Client`s vehicles that have been coated..
    It just works great and does not seem to take away the product...

I know, there is no fancy "LSP-Strip-O-Meter Measurer" invented, yet, but perhaps someday, in the interest of eh-hem, improving the Craft, and not so much of eh-hem, Marketing, someone may invent one.. Until then, your/our eyes are doing that just fine..

When Opti-Seal came out, I think they also made something called Hyper-Seal, but for some reason, that product went away.. Perhaps because it was insanely expensive?? I dont remember..

I have experimented with Opti-Seal and it seems to offer some protection and improve the gloss; the length of time, of course will always be different for Everyone, because we all have our own things to deal with for our vehicle/s.. etc...

In my own experiences, I really like the dirt releasing properties of Coatings more than anything else, and the fact that this condition can last a long time, before it goes away.. I know from personal experiences that my 2 coated vehicles can go 2,000 miles from Northern California to Texas and when I get there, they do not even look like they went anywhere, except for the bugs that hit the glass..

Then, I might wash it, or not, and go drive the 2,000 miles back to CA and look, the vehicle is not really trashy dirty or anything, except for the bugs that hit the glass.. And of course, clean up with Reset, really easy..

That`s all I got for ya !
    Dan F
    Likes Cadfael, jem7sk, danlc95 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ease of use, easy wipe-off, ability to work in the sun, no staining on trim, and probably above all, no stress to chase perfection. I use an AIO some daily`s I maintain. They usually get "topped" with a spray wax/sealant at the subsequent wash so the protection realistically only needs to last a month or two. The spray wax/sealant gets reapplied at almost every wash. Does this give me the best water beading, self-cleaning, and durability I can get? Nope. But they`re still very easy to wash, and I know I can refresh the whole thing (or just a panel or two) in short order when "life" happens.

This is not the approach I`d take on a garage queen, a car with perfect paint, or on a car I`m trying to preserve the clear coat at all costs. But for keeping a daily driver looking fantastic with the least amount of stress it works for me.
    Likes jem7sk, Stokdgs, bad penny, Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dan, isn’t Hyperseal the pro-coatings sealant version? Probably just optiseal put in a fancier bottle for coatings. Saw someone online using it recently IIRC.
    Likes jem7sk, William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    jem7sk -

Yes, AIO = all in one - trying to do 3 things in one process, has to have its limits..
    I think even Optimum has one called GPS = Glaze, Polish, Seal...

None of my Clients have ever wanted just that, but many people really want just that.. It is convenient, less money than many specialized products, less time spent doing the work.. Then, there are the trade offs, right ?

What do YOU want to See, everytime you look at your vehicles ? This is the ultimate question..

To maintain anything on there, it is always best to use a wash soap type of product that does not want to work at stripping off the LSP you put on there, right ?
    So, find a mild one that does not do that and this will help the longevity..

When does it need it again ? When you look at them, and they do not look like - "What YOU want to SEE, everytime you look at your vehicles"..

Of course, the more you can keep your vehicles in the garage, covered, etc., their paint will always look better longer, the less you rub on them, the less chance you have, to introduce things that take away the clarity you once had, so think about that part too..

Personally, since they invented CarPro Reset, It is all I ever use on my 2 personal vehicles, and for sure on any Client`s vehicles that have been coated..
    It just works great and does not seem to take away the product...

I know, there is no fancy "LSP-Strip-O-Meter Measurer" invented, yet, but perhaps someday, in the interest of eh-hem, improving the craft, and not so much of eh-hem, Marketing, someone may invent one.. Until then, your/our eyes are doing that just fine..

When Opti-Seal came out, I think they also made something called Hyper-Seal, but for some reason, that product went away.. Perhaps because it was insanely expensive?? I dont remember..

I have experimented with Opti-Seal and it seems to offer some protection and improve the gloss; the length of time, of course will always be different for Everyone, because we all have our own things to deal with for our vehicle/s.. etc...

In my own experiences, I really like the dirt releasing properties of Coatings more than anything else, and the fact that this condition can last a long time, before it goes away.. I know from personal experiences that my 2 coated vehicles can go 2,000 miles from Northern California to Texas and when I get there, they do not even look like they went anywhere, except for the bugs that hit the glass..

Then, I might wash it, or not, and go drive the 2,000 miles back to CA and look, the vehicle is not really trashy dirty or anything, except for the bugs that hit the glass.. And of course, clean up with Reset, really easy..

That`s all I got for ya !
    Dan F
    What coating do you use Dan? I`m assuming you use Meguiars 105 and/or 210 to prep?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DetailZeus View Post
    Ease of use, easy wipe-off, ability to work in the sun, no staining on trim, and probably above all, no stress to chase perfection. I use an AIO some daily`s I maintain. They usually get "topped" with a spray wax/sealant at the subsequent wash so the protection realistically only needs to last a month or two. The spray wax/sealant gets reapplied at almost every wash. Does this give me the best water beading, self-cleaning, and durability I can get? Nope. But they`re still very easy to wash, and I know I can refresh the whole thing (or just a panel or two) in short order when "life" happens.

This is not the approach I`d take on a garage queen, a car with perfect paint, or on a car I`m trying to preserve the clear coat at all costs. But for keeping a daily driver looking fantastic with the least amount of stress it works for me.
    What approach would you take with a garage queen.

Post Thanks / Like

What approach would you take with a garage queen.
    Above all I`d get my wash process dialed in meaning how do I *not* put scratches back in after I take them all out. The rest is kind of personal preference.

I`ve never had a problem putting a traditional sealant (the wipe-on wipe-off type like fk or powerlock) on top of an AIO when I used to do that. But if you go the coating route you`ll want a dedicated polish for sure. If it`s really a garage queen you could do a beauty wax too. Millions of options depending on how much work you want to do and how much you want to spend.
    Likes jem7sk, Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow 6 months? That`s not bad. Then did they start making it last that long? I`ve had mine for a couple of years. Do you do anything to maintain it when you wash?
    6 months might be stretching it a bit and definitely not for a car that gets washed once a week.

It`s been 2-3 years since I noticed a difference in how hd speed was performing. I have no idea if any adjustments were actually made, but I do recall not being very impressed initially.
    A large section of my customer base have their cars polished every month or two with no washing in between, so for this type customer it works very well for us both.
    Likes jem7sk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Last spring, I used Speed , then topped it with 2 coats of FK1000p . It lasted all summer. I then refreshed the FK1000p with 2 coats before winter. It lasted through winter and is still going strong.
    Likes DetailZeus, bad penny, Ron Ketcham, jem7sk liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    Last spring, I used Speed , then topped it with 2 coats of FK1000p . It lasted all summer. I then refreshed the FK1000p with 2 coats before winter. It lasted through winter and is still going strong.
    If it ain’t broke no need to fix it!

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

AIO`s work best as a light corrective base for a stouter product.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information