Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Touchless car wash safe?

Quote Originally Posted by bob m View Post
    Sounds like something out of a horror movie.
    Those pix *looked* like something out of a horror movie too! Gotta admit I just couldn`t deal...I`d have to move.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Touchless car wash safe?

The bugs are starting. Had to clean the windshield of my dad’s new Jeep. He’s going to avoid any more highway driving until the bugs subside.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

When I know that it’s basically Lovebug season down here, which is more or less May and November, and I’m going long distance, which usually means Orlando and north, I’m a big believer in 3M blue masking tape or track wrap on the front of the car.

Regarding touchless , I have a great Chevron station that has a good touchless here. I only use it on express/rinse setting, then I take the car home and wipe it down with either carPro Ech20 or carPro elixir.
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax
    Thanks bob m thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

In my area in Northeast the roads are pretreated before big storms with liquid calcium and that is bad news for the entire vehicle. So you less is better than that

Here a good fail story the city I live in one winter used crushed glass for traction and every snow store spread the junk everywhere come spring there was a lot of finger pointing and they had to pick it all back up and clean every street and sidewalk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    The bugs are starting. Had to clean the windshield of my dad’s new Jeep. He’s going to avoid any more highway driving until the bugs subside.
    You might oughta switch that one from 476S to FK1000P so you don`t have to fix any etching Yeah, there I go again with the FK1000P hard-sell!
    Likes Older liked this post
    Thanks Older thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ill eventually get the FK but I’m pretty religious about immediate bug removal. People have given me strange looks in parking lots when they see me with my little bottle of waterless wash and a MF picking away at the bugs.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    You might oughta switch that one from 476S to FK1000P so you don`t have to fix any etching Yeah, there I go again with the FK1000P hard-sell!
    FK1000P can do that? Got some on my car now. How long does it last and how do you maintain it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jem7sk View Post
    FK1000P can do that? Got some on my car now. How long does it last and how do you maintain it?
    Two coats easily lasts 6 months. It`s also great for bird bombs.
    Likes Stokdgs, jem7sk liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

My FK1000P lasts a lot longer than 6 months, but my vehicles are pretty pampered these days, so YMMV definitely applies.

BUT...I`ve still never had *anything* etch through it, and I`ve left bugs/bird-bombs on the stuff for months.

For maintenance, I generally use some kind of Drying Aid, either FK425 or QD-strength IUDJ. BUT, no, doing that does not appreciably improve the FK`s durability (I just do it for a little anti-marring insurance in case there`s residual dirt there when I dry). Multiple layers of FK1000P (I`d stop at about four as pseudo-holograms can occur...which Ketch labels "Use-error", and he`s generally right ) oughta hold up just fine. When the beading changes I add another coat (with zero real prep, just a wash/dry).

I *should* note that, speaking of YMMV!, some here have had 476S last longer, although that wasn`t my experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    My opinion (which is only that, and I’m not too bright): I doubt touchless washes hurt or damage your clear coat. They can certainly damage your LSP (last step protection). Most probably have strong chemicals that will wear away waxes and sealants. Coatings and some stronger sealants are hurt less by the strong chemicals (good chemical resistance).

Quite a few members use touchless washes in the winter as it may be more beneficial than letting salt sit on the car for 3 months straight.

and as far as strength of the sprayers hurting the clear coat, I highly doubt it since people use pressure washers all the time to remove loose debris before hand washing. I do t know at what pressure point that water can physically scratch paint, but I’ve never seen a touchless in the northeast come close to worrying me.

Hope this helps and sorry if I’ve made any generalizations that don’t match your experiences. Different places have different ways of doing things.
    I just ran my wifes Rogue this morning then used Extreme solution`s Topper as a drying aid . I have used this system thru the winter also.
    I have 2 coats of 303G as a LSP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jem7sk View Post
    Get ready for Love Bug season in the next month or two
    Touchless car wash safe?-tumblr_inline_nom3ns9nyz1t94zks_500.jpg
    Touchless car wash safe?-ar-190928714.jpg
    Go to youtube and search dryer sheets for bugs on cars....works like a charm

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have friends that like clean cars and use touchless washes. Their paint looks ok, maybe like it could use a nice polish. The big difference I see is their trim looks terrible. Greyed plastic and dried out rubber.

Also I used to use a touchless in the winter to get the salt off the bottom of my truck. Like once a week. My truck underside looked worse than those that did nothing. A little research indicated that a large majority of car washes use recycled water for everything but the rinse. They have no equipment on site to remove that salt.

I`m lucky that we have warm days here and there in the winter, as long as it`s above freezing, I use ice fishing gloves and don`t mind doing a quick wash.

And even if none of the above was true, all the automated wash machines have lines at them whenever I want to use them. So it takes as long or longer to drive to one and wait than it does to just do a 30 minute wash at home.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information