Post Thanks / Like

Flex XCE 8-125 Cordless polisher on the way: any pointers?

Haven`t been able to enjoy the detailing hobby for about 10 years, so I feel like I missed a lot of advancements.

Im upgrading from a Meguiars G110 v1 to the cordless Flex XCE 8-125 forced rotation machine.
    Hopefully it will be a step up in ability and ease of use.

I`m working on a silver Kia Sedona minivan and red Hyunda Tuscon.

Trying to focus on just removing minor imperfections and bringing some life and gloss to the paint, with a good 1-step.

Pads:
    Rupes Mille Yellow, 5.5"

Polishes:
    Giots Fast Correcting Creame
    Menzerna Heavy Cut 400
    Menzerna SIP
    HD Polish+
    Blackfire SRC Finishing Polish

I havent used any of these polishes before- which one would be the best option for minor defect removal and adding some shine?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex XCE 8-125 Cordless polisher on the way: any pointers?

Menzerna 400 is for heavy defects so that`s out. Out of those, I`d pick the GFCC or an AIO such as HD Speed/One or Blackfire AIO. For pads, if using the GFCC polish, I`d go with the Griots Boss pads. Otherwise the Buff and Shine Uro-Tech pads seem to work very well with the Flex.
    Likes dwaleke liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Flex XCE 8-125 Cordless polisher on the way: any pointers?

Interesting pad choice. I have Mille pads from when I owned a Mille and I`m not a huge fan of them on the Flex.

I`ve had my cordless Flex XCE for about a year using the 5" plate and I just stepped up to the 6" backing plate. I prefer the larger diameter pads even though it wears down the battery a bit faster.

For one steps it`ll depend on the paint type. And I assume you mean 1 step of polish and not 1 step polish and protect. So for polishes I`d be looking at Griots garage Correcting Cream, 3D ONE, Koch Chemie F6.01, Menzerna Medium Cut Polish, maybe Rupes DA Fine, maybe Sonax Perfect Finish for correction on softer paints but I`m not a fan.

I too use the Buff and Shine URO-TEC pads. The yellow is similar to the Rupes DA Yellow pads from a performance perspective. Although you won`t get much defect correction on medium to hard paints with that pad. Lake Country Force Orange on medium to harder paints might be a good 1 step pad.

It all depends on how much correction you want vs finishing quality. By having a few pads a varying aggressiveness you can do test spots to decide what works on which paints. IMO that is more important than having a bunch of different polishes.

The Flex can still be a bit of a hassle if you are used to free spinning machines. I started polishing with a Flex 3401 long ago and when I used a 15mm long throw machine I thought how much smoother those machines are. But you do have the whole pad stall issue to have your mind on. Not a big deal with a finish polish but if you are chasing defect removal on anything but flat panels that`s where the Flex shines IMO. But the Flex might fight you on those same panels because it`s turning the pad no matter if you have the right hold on the polisher or not.

Good luck and post your work.

EDIT: just realized you are working on two specific cars. So I understand why you may not want to load up on pads and product. I somehow thought you were looking for general recommendations.

I don`t think you`ll get exactly what you are looking for out of one step. The FC400 or Griot`s FCC with yellow pad might take care of the defects but you`ll want to follow up with one of your lighter polishes after.

Post Thanks / Like

You REALLY need to increase your 5.5" pad selection. I do not think a "one-product, one-pad" methodology is going to give you the high-gloss you desire. You have moved in the the realm of "professional polishing machines" with your cordless Flex XCE 8-125 forced rotation machine. You just need to pair it now with:
    1) Proper pads (see above post for suggestions)
    2) A finishing polish (which you seem to have, but some are suggestion the Griot`s Garage BOSS Perfecting (Polishing) Creame and their Finishing Sealant (Fine polishing) Creame.
    3) A lot of "seat time" using your
    cordless Flex XCE 8-125 forced rotation machine to get the hang of it.

Save your Meg`s G110-V1 for applying waxes and sealants. Buy a 4" backing plate and some 4" ultra-finishing/sealant application pads. You`d be surprised at how nice-and-easy the wax/sealant application process and efficient coverage is using a low speed (1 or 2) on the G110.

Good luck on the silver Kia Sedona. Silver has never been an ultra-gloss, look-at-me, kinda color in my opinion, unless it graces a Mercedes-Benz or a Porsche 911. Those two vehicles look good in ANY color, except Mary Kay Pink!
    GB detailer
    Likes craigdt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What about Panther Pink?

Post Thanks / Like

With my short experience using this machine, a thin pad can take a bit of getting used to. Slightly thicker pad works better in the user experience side of things.

The Rupes yellow wool was pretty good on it
    Likes craigdt liked this post

Thread Information