Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New (to me) Baby - Hit Me With Your Best Product Recommendations

My husband twisted my arm and forced me to do something impractical and treat myself to a bit of an upgrade from the old Mazda 3 (I knew there was a reason I`ve kept that guy around for 20 years ) So we brought home this Volvo C70 last night.

It`s an `04 but less than 100K miles and in fantastic shape. I`ll post some interior shots later too, but the leather is in great condition and I definitely want to keep it that way.

Convertible top protection is first on the list of course but I figured I`d have some fun with it and throw it out to our very knowledgeable regulars here -if it was your baby, what would you do next, besides drop the top and head to the beach of course?

New (to me) Baby - Hit Me With Your Best Product Recommendations-volvo.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New (to me) Baby - Hit Me With Your Best Product Recommendations

Liz, congratulations on the new car! I`d probably start by evaluating the overall mechanical condition and see what surprises are lurking. Did you have any sort of pre-purchase inspection done?

The car looks very nice.
    Thanks Liz@Autopia thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom p. View Post
    Liz, congratulations on the new car! I`d probably start by evaluating the overall mechanical condition and see what surprises are lurking. Did you have any sort of pre-purchase inspection done?

The car looks very nice.
    Thanks Tom! It got a full inspection from our trusted mechanic and got the seal of approval before it was ever even shown to me. Mechanically it`s good to go, but since one of the perks of working here is access to the garage and tools plus all the awesome products we carry, I figured I`d have some fun with making and keeping it pretty.

Post Thanks / Like

ild polish out with oberk polish bt i know you dont carry that so any polish followed by a prep and csl/exo

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, absolutely.

Maybe they could do some new videos to demo products for their media channel! WIN WIN for you
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

I think it should be a candidate for one of Mike Phillips classes
    Likes tom p., William_Wallace liked this post
    Thanks Liz@Autopia thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    I think it should be a candidate for one of Mike Phillips classes
    It`s the the lone convertible in the employee lot, so I`m guessing it`ll get used for something in a class or video eventually. lol
    Likes tom p., Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Liz, I know we`ve been of absolutely no help this morning, but our last convertibles are nothing more than a distant memory. I do know we used Raggtopp on the soft top. Had very good luck with that product, but I`m sure there are new offerings that will surpass it given the advancements in technology. Beyond that, I`d probably focus on a nice polishing routine followed by the longest-lasting ceramic coating you have access to. The car looks in super shape. How is the other side? How is the interior? Leather?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tom p. View Post
    Liz, I know we`ve been of absolutely no help this morning, but our last convertibles are nothing more than a distant memory. I do know we used Raggtopp on the soft top. Had very good luck with that product, but I`m sure there are new offerings that will surpass it given the advancements in technology. Beyond that, I`d probably focus on a nice polishing routine followed by the longest-lasting ceramic coating you have access to. The car looks in super shape. How is the other side? How is the interior? Leather?
    No worries Tom, I know a few things myself and have plenty of in house experts here to draw from. I was really just trying to spark some fun conversation for the forum to liven things up a bit around here and maybe rub in the convertible part a bit for those of you stuck up north where it`s still snowing.

Raggtopp was my go to on my previous convertibles (`88 Mustang, `94 Miata) so I`ll probably stick with that line for this one too but might play around with some of the newer products out there just for fun.

I`ll post more pics in a bit!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, give it a bit more time for the regular contributors to share their thoughts. I`m sure there`ll be lots of good suggestions to follow.

I still like the idea of using the car to demo some newer (proven) products in a video.

Post Thanks / Like

how bout some 303 fabric protection for top if theres something out there

Likes Liz@Autopia liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, Liz and Family on the beautiful Volvo !!

I have used only RaggTop products on a few hundred high end convertibles for years in the Pacific Northwest, and it has always made any type and color top look so much better..

My process was to wash it really well with their cleaner and a soft bristle brush, then rinse, rinse, rinse.. Then get the Mytee Extractor and rinse and extract it..

This final step always got all those little bitty things that sometimes stick to some tops out... Result - a perfectly clean, new top again, ready to spray a couple of coats of Conditioner on it when it dries... Get a long piece of cardboard, (they sell the perfect size at home depot in the paint dept.), and place that under each edge of the top as you spray the conditioner, and you never get any on the vehicle... You have to know how to manage a spray can, and do this indoors in good lighting and no wind..
    And protection is really great for living in a state that either rains or snows, all the time..

My only experience with 303 products - looks great, first time it rains, the product runs right off..
    Dan F
    Likes William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Congrats, Liz and Family on the beautiful Volvo !!

I have used only RaggTop products on a few hundred high end convertibles for years in the Pacific Northwest, and it has always made any type and color top look so much better..

My process was to wash it really well with their cleaner and a soft bristle brush, then rinse, rinse, rinse.. Then get the Mytee Extractor and rinse and extract it..

This final step always got all those little bitty things that sometimes stick to some tops out... Result - a perfectly clean, new top again, ready to spray a couple of coats of Conditioner on it when it dries... Get a long piece of cardboard, (they sell the perfect size at home depot in the paint dept.), and place that on each edge of the top as you spray the conditioner, and you never get any on the vehicle... You have to know how to manage a spray can, and do this indoors in good lighting and no wind..
    And protection is really great for living in a state that either rains or snows, all the time..

My only experience with 303 products - looks great, first time it rains, the product runs right off..
    Dan F
    Thanks Dan! Good tip on the Mytee....and good thing we have one here in the show car garage I can use.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

First off, congrats on a new car! It`s always fun to bring home a new "baby".

Quote Originally Posted by Civicclutch View Post
    ild polish out with oberk polish bt i know you dont carry that so any polish followed by a prep and csl/exo

I had similar thoughts, though different products.

I always do a full top-to-bottom detail of any new vehicle to the family. I`ll start a thorough wash, clay, and then polish it out. From there I`d give it a coating. My go-to is CQuartz UK if I`m doing someone else`s car.

I`ve never owned or worked on a convertible, so I can`t help with anything for the roof.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes Liz@Autopia liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    First off, congrats on a new car! It`s always fun to bring home a new "baby".

I had similar thoughts, though different products.

I always do a full top-to-bottom detail of any new vehicle to the family. I`ll start a thorough wash, clay, and then polish it out. From there I`d give it a coating. My go-to is CQuartz UK if I`m doing someone else`s car.

I`ve never owned or worked on a convertible, so I can`t help with anything for the roof.

Thanks Desertnate! It`s going to be a daily driver and will live outside, so I`m definitely thinking a ceramic coating is the way to go for protection. I might even go really wild and test out one of the fabric coatings on the top.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information