Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Help needed in choosing spray sealant/coating

Happy Monday!

My wife has an elderly disabled friend who`s car needs a little attention. Apparently the exterior is to the point our mutual friend, and local mechanic, told her it "really needs a wash..." When my wife told me about this I happily volunteered.

I have all the cleaning supplies I need to to get the vehicle to a much better place. I won`t have it long enough to give it a good polishing with an AIO, so my intentions are to clean it up nicely: do all the little extra`s like trim protectant, tire dressing, and hit it with some sort of spray LSP.

The LSP is where I need some help. For the situation a really durable spray product will be best suited for this job, but I know nothing about them and since I`ve been using coatings for several years now, I`ve not paid much attention to that corner of the market.

Unless someone has an even better idea I`m thinking two possible scenarios.
    1. The most durable spray sealant/coating possible for a reasonable amount. After this job it will probably just sit in my collection until the right situation comes up again.
    2. Some form of spray "coating" which I`ll use as a topper on my coated vehicles in the future. Everyone wins and it`s one less bottle collecting dust in my garage.

A couple conditions:
    1. May need to get it fast, so something I can either find OTC, on Amazon, or somewhere with very rapid shipping. This will probably exclude PBMG sadly due to their slower shipping.
    2. Don`t want to spend a lot on it, though if I can re-purpose as a topper I`ll spend a little more. Just nothing like Budgetplan`s favorite stuff which I think is made from fragments of an ancient Samurai sword....
    3 Not in a huge bottle. It would take me a very long time to get through something like a bottle of the Blackfire SiO2 Spray.
    4. NOT Griots 3-in-1. I`ve already got a bottle of the stuff headed my way, but won`t be in time for this job. I`d like to have a little variety on hand.

So, what say you? 303? The new Turtle Wax product? Adams Spray Coating (think the graphene version is only one available now)......?

Thanks
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help needed in choosing spray sealant/coating

3D has a new spray coating.
    Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Adams Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating. Fast and simple to apply. Pretty good performance.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    3D has a new spray coating.
    For some reason, I always forget 3D. Any experience with it?

Post Thanks / Like

When faced with a similar situation (was for my Wife`s mom`s car), I went with Sonax Poly Net Shield. Wanted something where I wasn`t really worried about getting a coating`s potential water spot issues since it was going to be on a "civilian"`s car.

I did her car in July. She`s strictly an automatic car washer. Just saw the car this weekend, even with winter use it`s looking great.

I just used one of the little 75ml cans, not the big one. No problem doing a whole car with it. The little can was like $10 if you didn`t get it on a sale.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Happy Monday!

2. Don`t want to spend a lot on it, though if I can re-purpose as a topper I`ll spend a little more. Just nothing like Budgetplan`s favorite stuff which I think is made from fragments of an ancient Samurai sword....
    Thanks for that - made me laugh out loud!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    When faced with a similar situation (was for my Wife`s mom`s car), I went with Sonax Poly Net Shield....I just used one of the little 75ml cans, not the big one. No problem doing a whole car with it. The little can was like $10 if you didn`t get it on a sale.
    Thanks! I`d forgotten about PNS and the fact it comes in those little cans.

I appreciate the inputs everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to try something new there is the Dr Beasley`s Nano LS-10:

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/dr-b...l#.YEZmhi1h1QI

Then you can review it for us as well! I`m planning on picking some up for my spring order.
    John

JEMM Auto Detailing - Serving the Greater Binghamton, NY area

Post Thanks / Like

On the sister site, I cant remember his exact wording, but Mike Phillips refers to PNS as a coating-like non coating.

I actually ended up using an AG member`s technique (it`s killing me, I can`t remember which member it was - I think Cruz`s car wash? I can dig if need be) where you hit the car with an AIO (He used Griot`s One Step Sealant, I used Blackfire One Step since I won a sample to try), but before wiping it off you spray a stripe of PNS on the panel. Then buff off as normal. Actually worked quite well.

I figure next time I see her car for a hand wash I`d hit it with BSD for a lil booster.

I always end up a little paralyzed when trying to recommend an LSP for a non-Autopian. You read so much on so many products, but I don`t have enough experience with those different products to be sure I won`t set them up with something that`s gonna etch through or only last a couple weeks. So often you see all the application posts when a flavor of the week flares up, but then don`t hear back on actual real world results.
    Likes Desertnate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    I always end up a little paralyzed when trying to recommend an LSP for a non-Autopian. You read so much on so many products, but I don`t have enough experience with those different products to be sure I won`t set them up with something that`s gonna etch through or only last a couple weeks. So often you see all the application posts when a flavor of the week flares up, but then don`t hear back on actual real world results.
    It is very hard. If had more time with the car, I`d hit it with an AIO like you describe. However I`ll have only couple hours at most and there is no telling when/if it will be washed again. In this instance, the main focus is de-salting the car and I`m just going to do a little extra to help her out and make it look nice.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I can`t comment on the others as I haven`t used them. But I used PNS like 7 years ago and really liked it. With the seemingly endless new detailing products that come out every month now, the fact someone here mentioned something so old says a lot. And I didn`t even know it came in a $10 can. I should go order one.

As for BudgetPlan1 and his ancient samurai sword infused Kamakazi products. He sent me a bottle of Overcoat V2, the stuff`s super. V1 was good I had bought it a few years before V2 came out. V2`s a good set up, and I think the smaller bottle`s pretty reasonably priced for what you get.
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You said it would be good if it were OTC.....did you know you can get Griots 3 in 1 at Autozone, Pepe Boys and Advance Auto Parts? Mothers CMX Ceramic Spray coating is another option which should be locally available.....Scott H on YouTube has a test of spray sealants going, and it`s holding up at the 6 month mark.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

The small can is not on Autopia, but it is on the Geek - https://www.autogeek.net/sonax-polym...ield-75ml.html

I have seen this stuff go well over a year with the vehicle outside 24/7 through much rain and snow..

It will seem a little "grabby", so manage how much you apply, remove right after, and it will go well.

Always looks great after, and even better after it dries and cures up..

Leaves great protection..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

The Turtle Wax Hybrid spray coating lasted 7 months with no maintenance or washes during an Ohio winter (I say `lasted` because I`m recoating it today - even though it`s still beading very well).
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

I also will second the TWHS SC. Easy with stellar results. You have many good choices now with spray coatings.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information