Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried Leather World Top Coat?

I searched here and the other detailing site for information on this and can’t seem to find a single person who’s tried this product. It’s the parent company of the popular Leather Masters line.

It promises to restore the top coat as leather seats become worn, which I think is important as my seats are no longer perfect. It would be nice to restore that coating as it continues to wear.

https://leatherworldtech.com/top-coat/
    BMW M240i | Mineral White | Coral Red
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has anyone tried Leather World Top Coat?

I researched a ton about leather conditioners recently and I read a few posts for Leather Doctor. Well, after reading some of the Leather Doctor forum posts, the repairs were especially impressive, I decided to order the Leather Doctors AP3 kit. His posts make a lot of sense on how to care for leather whether that be cheap coated leather, aniline, etc. Roger Koh seems to be a master or in this case a doctor and the various products make sense in how he suggests they be used. I just ordered the kit and it just shipped so I don’t have anything to report except to maybe check out the Leather Doc forum as another option to consider.

I did just clean the “leather” (ivory color) of my 2012 Acura TL with Connolly Hide Cleaner and it did pretty well but I hope the Leather Doctors will help better address some mild blue jean transfer and a small dent (BB-size) in the leather of the left rear seat. As well as the Protector B/D to protect the leather in the future. The B is for seats to put a protective barrier to reduce friction getting in and out. And the D is for steering wheels and gear shifts and has more of a draggy feeling to ensure a good grip. Like I said, when reading on the forum in detail, the many steps of the various products make sense. And since they are only for semi-annual cleaning or special circumstances, the main products you’d use regularly are Rinse 3.0 (ph of 3.0) and the Protector B/D combo.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

While I do think that the Leather Doctor/Roger is great (still my fave), I`d just let it wear. Even the "you gotta replace that!" interior in the Tahoe has held up just fine despite being in awful condition: it just doesn`t get worse as long as I keep it clean. YMMV of course, and I`m not that Autopian about such stuff, but still...

dgage- Any idea whether they still offer all their Protectants in *unscented* versions? I like them, but prefer that they don`t leave things smelling like a luggage store.

Sure hope you like the Leather Doctor stuff as much as I do! I hardly ever need to use it (just use an Interior QD 99.9999% of the time), but it`s sure good stuff, and Roger can indeed give ya an education.
    Likes wannafbody, William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    dgage- Any idea whether they still offer all their Protectants in *unscented* versions? I like them, but prefer that they don`t leave things smelling like a luggage store.
    I ordered mine with a scent but they do indeed sell unscented as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both!

I work in automotive so I have access to scrap seats. I decided to just order the Top Coat and give it a go for $25. I’ll update once I get a chance to try it out.
    Likes Stokdgs, dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

BluBrett- If you get a chance, post back about what you end up doing and how it works out. I`m hoping that your experience is as hassle-free as mine had been in this regard, but if you *do* really have to do something big, I *really* hope that it works OK.

QUOTE=dgage;2181909]I ordered mine with a scent but they do indeed sell unscented as well.[/QUOTE] Oh good! Thanks for confirming that.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone tried Leather World Top Coat?

Finally got Tapatalk so I can actually upload photos. I got the free one for now, so apologies for the grainy before and after below. I’ll update in a month or so to let y’all know if it holds up!

It definitely looks SIGNIFICANTLY more matte and feels new to touch.

Full res photos here:

https://imgur.com/a/7meWwL8

Post Thanks / Like

Well, this is my nightmare.

No matter what I do, it won’t stop peeling. I definitely prepped it as well as the instructions said to.

Not sure why it won’t stop peeling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m a bit skeptical of adding a coating to leather for fear that conditioners won`t work.

I recently stumbled on a post about Leather Honey Conditioner. Many people swear by it. It isn`t as greasy as a neatsfoot oil type of conditioner. It seems to soak into leather and soften coated leather. Maybe that would help with your seats or maybe not as the coating seems to be pealing off.

Post Thanks / Like

I ended up slowly, carefully scrubbing it for about two hours with a horse hair brush. The coating completely came off both seat portions. It was a huge pain though and I definitely provided feedback to Leather World.
    Likes wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

BluBrett- Glad it came off...finally...but sorry to hear it was such a FAIL for you.

Thread Information