Post Thanks / Like

New wiper blade protection

I know I am way over thinking this....but isn’t that what this forum is all about?

I had to get new wiper blades today because my clip that keeps the blade on the arm cracked and wouldn’t stay in place.

I have my glass coated with Glassparency....which reminds me it’s time to do my refresh.

Anyway, I’ve never had problems with wiper judding like a lot have, which I count myself lucky. Do you put any type of spray sealant on anything on your wiper blades to help in protection and longevity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New wiper blade protection

All I do is clean with PW when I do the windows.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Beadmaker works great on the windshield.

I re-apply on every wash.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I just clean the wiper blades themselves every time I wash the vehicles and they last a long time and don`t bounce around, etc.., on the glass in use..
    So, the wiper refills get cleaned with CarPro Reset soap like the rest of the vehicle.. I never put anything on them after the wash either...
    I also just buy the factory refills from the dealer and replace them myself..
    Dan F
    Likes The Guz, Desertnate, Bobh591 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I just clean the wiper blades themselves every time I wash the vehicles and they last a long time and don`t bounce around, etc.., on the glass in use..
    So, the wiper refills get cleaned with CarPro Reset soap like the rest of the vehicle.. I never put anything on them after the wash either...
    Dan F
    Exactly this as Dan mentioned. I have found no need to put anything on the blades. I will come back with glass cleaner on a towel and wipe the blades and call it a day.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Stokdgs, Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Same here, just wipe with Glass Cleaner when doing the windshield.
    Likes Stokdgs, Desertnate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve found that cleaning wiper blades with Megs Pro-Detailer D101 APC diluted 3:1 and then treated with Aerospace 303 Protectant works for me. I use a single sheet of Scott`s Blue Shop Paper Toweling for cleaning, as the black residue from wiping the oxidized rubber silicone blade is nasty stuff to clean out of microfiber, where the paper toweling is just disposable.
    I use Aerospace 303 Protectant because in a factory wiper replacement kit from Nissan or Toyota (don`t remember), small wipe tissues of this protectant were included with the wipers and the instructions stated to wipe the blades with them, so I have been using that ever since. And yes, I use that same single sheet of Scott Blue Shop Toweling for the application of 303 as well

I also assume that those of you who use glass cleaners ONLY for cleaning wiper blades are using an alcohol-based glass cleaner and NOT some ammonia-based household glass cleaner like Windex or their generic equivalents. I do know that cleaning wiper blades to remove the old oxidized rubber and expose new rubber does help in wiping rain water and reduce the streaking and chatter. I have found that in a light rain, I will use the windshield wash to reduce the wiper chatter if that happens.

Then there is the question of using a window glass treatment on the windshield, like Rain-X or Aqua-Pel. I used Rain-X for years and it really did repel the rain water where I did not need to use wipers, even in some very heavy rain as long as you were travelling at 40 MPH or better to blow off the droplets that formed. What stopped me from using Rain-X is that at night, the "film" from the glass protectant obscured my vision. This is especially true at night in the city with mercury/halide streetlights with a light rain or mist. The wipers just "smeared" the water and left a thin film and the "diffused" artificial lighting from said streetlamps impacted my vision and made driving difficult. I assume that the Glassperancy coating the Original Poster (OP) has used or any of the other glass coatings now available are a WHOLE different glass treatment experience that has supplanted and replaced wipe-ons like Rain-X.

What REALLY has helped with wipers in the rain is the wiper model type and manufacturer. I used Bosch ICONs. Yes, they are VERY expensive compared to "traditional" wipers , but the silicone rubber formulation provides superior wiping and cleaning action and they last longer in my opinion.

Another factor that I think helps wiper life longevity is NOT to use the wipers as a scraper to remove ice or frost when one gets into your vehicle upon initial startup. I ALWAYS clean my windshield with a scraper or squeegee of snow, ice, or frost. That includes the ice at the base of the wiper that forms from the hot defroster when it snows and you go into work or go shopping. The snow melts from the hot glass and then refreezes in a short time around the wiper blade while you are away. Ice is sharp and abrasive and causes those small tears in the blade that leads to streaking or lines when used like a scraper during initial vehicle startup.
    There is also the debate about putting the wiper arms up and off the windshield glass for this purpose. I do. It looks "stupid", BUT it prevents tearing the wiper rubber blade from the frozen ice when lifting it off the windshield glass if it were left down and makes scraping the windshield SO much easier. Personal preference, though.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Dan F
    Same here. The wipers get nothing special and last a long time with no problems. When they do wear out I simply put in a factory or OEM fill.

I also don`t put anything on the windshield glass. I found I have far fewer issues with naked glass than I have when I applied any product to them or when I used a soap product with wax/sealant in it.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    There is also the debate about putting the wiper arms up and off the windshield glass for this purpose. I do. It looks "stupid", BUT it prevents tearing the wiper rubber blade from the frozen ice when lifting it off the windshield glass if it were left down and makes scraping the windshield SO much easier. Personal preference, though.
    So very true. I`ve torn a blade or two in my life trying to gently free them from an ice encrusted car. I`ve had several vehicles where the wipers seat themselves below the hood and too low for the defroster to hit that portion of the glass. You have to manually extract those because they will never thaw out on their own.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

In the past I used Aerospace 303 or Gummi Pflege on the blades depending on what I had on hand. Both worked well. My car is a 2008 and I have replaced the blades only once but being garaged most of its life certainly has a bearing on that.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree. Wearable replaceable item. SUN also does a lot of damage to them. Mondays ice storm took out one of mine. Ripped. Went over to the local tire shop and MIGHTMAX was the house brand. A real nice BEAM design. Figured i`ll try them. $21 installed for free. Only had them on 2 days, but totally impressed with them.

I will wipe them clean with washer fluid every once in awhile.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes quebert liked this post
    Thanks quebert thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

x2 for sun doing a lot of damage, for that alone I want to find something to protect mine. I live in So Cal, last time I replaced them` I got Bosch ICON`s and with pretty much zero rain within 1 1/2 years they basically no longer worked. 1st time it rained hard I turned them on and BOOM chattered like crazy and barely did anything to help me see. I might had used them 2 or 3 times for a few minutes total. And these are considered some of the best you can buy, couldn`t imagine if I had the cheap ones lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I get PIAA Super Silicone blades and that’s all I run now. But it rains regularly here in TN so not sure how that would change with rare rain in Cali but the silicone actually imparts a small layer that sheds rain. So I’d assume they’d hold up better than standard rubber.

Post Thanks / Like

303 is also a good choice here. Apply it every so often. They use to make a wiper blade treatment. Little towel`s soaked in 303.

And then there is Wiper doctor...

https://www.amazon.com/Wiper-Dr-Blad.../dp/B001W0F6FG
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Thread Information