Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Expanding Winter detailing service for the snow belt

Here is flyer for anyone that wants to try the to sell service attached is general format of any estimate I have to give I usually include the print out. It is ever changing as this is my first year doing such. The one good thing is so far it has been easier to sell compared to ceramic coatings. People seem to understand the value. I am no expert of any field but when I was younger I did pick my nose and eat it! This is messy when you spray It, just like first dates. I usual use disposable suit but it only take half a day at most.

Cxxxxx Company,

I first want to thank you for Considering XxxxxxAuto for your rust prevention needs. I want to provide information regarding this service. Superior rust prevention today has turned from the previous standard of a sprayable rubberized coatings of the past. Cxxxxx does not offer rubberized coatings for these discussed reasons. These rubberized coating did offer initial stout rust prevention in the first 6-12 months post application of the coating. Soon after this initial grace period the rubberized coating would either become dried and cracked or develop chips or scratches allowing water to contact the underlying metal. Once this occurred the rubberized coating will begin to bubble. Once this process begins the rubberized coating begins to accelerate corrosion by trapping water between the rubber coating and the base metal.
    The coating that I offer is Cosmoline based. Cosmoline is an industrial brown colored synthetic hard wax that is suspended in a fast flashing solvent. Cosmoline products were developed and used by United States military as a corrosion inhibitors and meet the Military Standard MIL-C-11796C Class 3 for preserving and sealing.
    Application of Cosmoline products are sprayed onto the entire underbody of a vehicle. The application is similar to spray painting. Once the product is applied 2 hours is recommended for curing. The curing occurs when the solvents evaporate leaving behind a 2-3ml coating of hard synthetic wax. The durability of the coating is rated at two years of superior corrosion prevention and a secondary tapering level of protection for an additional 1-2 years. Respraying is suggested every 2-3 years.
    The product can be applied over bare metal, painted metal and rusted metal, braked lines, frame and subframe components, suspension and any structural metal.
    My process includes a special prep wash to the underbody that removes any existing salt or calcium xxxxxxx byproducts used for weather management. The underside of the vehicle is then dried by compressed air and blowers. Once the vehicle is dried the product is applied. Total down time for vehicle being coated is estimated to be 4 hours.

The Cosmoline products used are RP-342 and/or CRC 6026 both products are produced by the same chemical manufacturer. Rp-342 and/or CrC6026 are used depending on availability and supply and demand of the product. Once an agreement is reach I order the quantity needed per vehicle.

Please view video at https://YouTube.be/lyWHF4NoNVK for product testing and demonstrating.

Please do not hesitate to contact me regarding any question about the service.

Xxxxxxx
    Xxxxxxx
    Xxxxxxoutlook.com

Post Thanks / Like

[COLOR=#333333]"My process includes a special prep wash to the under-body that removes any existing salt or calcium xxxxxxx byproducts used for weather management"

Someone should have proof-read this letter. You do not "manage" the weather with salt (sodium chloride) or calcium/magnesium chloride. You do treat roads and driveways with them as de-icing products.

William_Wallace: At least you are filling the void for rust prevention (notice I did not say rust proofing), The fact that you have more than enough business for your services tells me that there is still a market for vehicle owners and those of municipalities and businesses who are interested in rust prevention (and rust proofing).

From what I understand, American vehicle manufacturers started to do factory undercoating to some degree during the assembly process. Not sure when this started. I say this because there seems to confusion over the terms "undercoating" and "rust proofing" and what exactly they entail. It`s far more than just semantics, but it is misunderstood by many vehicle consumers.
    GB detailer
    Likes Ron Ketcham liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting topic for me - living in NE/NJ where they use salt/calcium and other chemicals when the snow starts. I just may consider getting this protection, just have to do more research.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    @accumulator don’t know enough about the spray tests, the purpose of this thread is not to argue regarding the pinnacle of rust prevention or the testing that goes into it.

The purpose of this thread is for those who for those like myself in the snow belt looking to expand a service or make up lost income this may help fill some of the down time..

Sorry to come across as argumentative. I was thinking of how it`s so easy for this process to bite somebody (by precipitating future rust-out) and how there are so many different approaches (with their own pros/cons) to consider.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator I didn’t think so I’ve read good amount of your posts over last couple years and learned a few tricks and have a giant can of fk1000hi temp sitting here that you forced me to buy. I enjoy your reads.

and kudos to anyone that can improve on a prospective flyer to give to out.

if you don’t live in the Northeast or a snow area your lucky it’s hard to sell a detail that is going to get covered in snow and salt in a matter of days unless you have a YouTube channel. I’m same state apex detail and he does well

Post Thanks / Like

For those messaging me about the salt remover car wash. Brand: 3X Chemistry Salt Neutralizer. I did not describe it correctly it is a pre soak not a car wash. I use in a big pump sprayer 6-8oz per gallon of water. I do whole under side dwell time 5 minutes then rinse off. This is only salt remover I have ever used I have nothing to compare to. I have not sprayed it on any paint only under carriages.
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I find the thread interesting and I would imagine that if Cosmoline was really causing issues it would have become huge news at this point, after so many years. There’s got to be millions of vehicles using this type of rust prevention every year for a lot of years.
    Thanks William_Wallace thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

William_Wallace- I`m glad I didn`t give offense...I do try not to I`m just *SO* [darn] paranoid about the long-term consequences of that "pocketing" and so nutty about nice undercarriages that, well...by most standards I`m off the deep end on this particular topic.

If nothing else, should any of your customers ask for an "under-there but visible" treatment that looks like black paint, keep that Eastwood Black Heavy Duty Anti-Rust in mind. Easy-peasy solution for nasty-condition things down there that show.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I find the thread interesting and I would imagine that if Cosmoline was really causing issues it would have become huge news at this point, after so many years. There’s got to be millions of vehicles using this type of rust prevention every year for a lot of years.
    I wouldn`t go that far. Lots of "rustproofed" vehicles rust out, I`ve seen countless examples. I figure that 99% of the time people sell/trade/dispose of them before the problems become apparent. And improperly rustproofed stuff can be a nightmare to fix.

Cosmoline works *great* for some things, but for automobiles, well...I`d go a different route.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    if you don’t live in the Northeast or a snow area your lucky it’s hard to sell a detail that is going to get covered in snow and salt in a matter of days unless you have a YouTube channel. I’m same state apex detail and he does well
    You`d find it pleasantly different here The local "Detailing" (scare-quotes intentional ) place is *packed* all winter long. Even in the middle of snowstorms they have a lot full of vehicles to get done. If they were any good I`d be tempted myself

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information