Post Thanks / Like

Pad equivalents question: Griots BOSS vs Lake Country

As i sit at home watching the snow fall, I`m doing a little shopping and dreaming of the day when warm weather returns and I`ll start detailing again. This brought me to a question about polishing pads.

For years now I`ve used LC Flat and Thin Pro pads on my trusty HF DA polisher. A new G15 polisher and many of my pads starting to wear out now has me looking for something new/better.

Right now I`m looking at Griots BOSS pads and LC HDO`s, but I`m struggling to figure out which colors to get and that is where I`m hoping you all can help out. Right now with the Flat and Thin Pro pads, the white polishing pad is my go-to work horse, but recently when doing other people`s vehicles I`ve stepped down to the orange from better correction.

Where do the orange/white LC Flat and Thin Pro`s line up with the HDO and BOSS line? Reading the descriptions I see two possibilities.

1. Orange BOSS and LC HDO will replace BOTH the white and orange LC Flat/Thin Pros, i.e. one ring to rule them all.

2. LC Flat/Thin Pro White = Orange BOSS and LC HDO. LC Flat/Thin Pro Orange = HDO Blue OR BOSS white

At this point I`m leaning towards the thicker HDO pads since it is easier to polish curved/sculpted surfaces with a thicker pad than a thin one. I may buy a couple pads from each line to try out, but wanted to get the right ones to make a fair comparison to what I work with today.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pad equivalents question: Griots BOSS vs Lake Country

I have the G15. I recently bought the yellow rupes and SDO orange. The rupes fits the backing plate much better. Both quality pads of course. The new rupes pad is very sharp looking too, not that the paint cares. I like the rupes better personally.
    Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The HDO pads are nice. The orange pad can give the rupes yellow pad a run for its money. I would consider the rupes yellow polishing pad as well.

The blue HDO pad is surprising versatile. Seems to cut well and finish well. Not the most aggressive cutting pad for say harder paints but for anything else it does well.

You could try picking up one of each to test out. I for sure would say get the Rupes yellow but if you want to stay in the HDO line then the blue and orange would suit your needs.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I hadn`t even thought about Rupes pads since I don`t one of their polishers. The fact it has a tapered shape and an extra .5" of surface area compared to the others is interesting. I might have to pick up one of those pads.

Thanks for the recommendations. On my family fleet I`ve got really soft Japanese paint and my car is medium-hard-ish black metallic BMW paint, so I`ll be curious how each pad performs. I`ll be paring them up with the Griots BOSS polishes. Most likely either Perfecting Cream or Correcting Cream depending on which car and the work to be done.
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I hadn`t even thought about Rupes pads since I don`t one of their polishers. The fact it has a tapered shape and an extra .5" of surface area compared to the others is interesting. I might have to pick up one of those pads.

Thanks for the recommendations. On my family fleet I`ve got really soft Japanese paint and my car is medium-hard-ish black metallic BMW paint, so I`ll be curious how each pad performs. I`ll be paring them up with the Griots BOSS polishes. Most likely either Perfecting Cream or Correcting Cream depending on which car and the work to be done.
    The orange BOSS pads are noticeably more dry and stiff then both rupes yellow and lake country orange IME.

Do you have the first generation G15?

I have the first gen. with all the BOSS pads.
    I used the BOSS soft yellow polishing pad the most on my toyota. The rupes yellow i find is just has enjoyable to use but its cut and overall ability is better then the orange BOSS pad and way ahead of the BOSS soft polishing pad course which is a nice pad to work with.

The orange BOSS pads however cut more then rupes yellow i believe but the overall user experience is a distant second place to rupes yellow.

One pro i did find with the orange BOSS pads was cleaning and drying but thats minor.

If you have the first gen G15 with the original backing plate you should pick up the rupes yellow. It fits the machine very very nicely.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

The BOSS pads are BOSS. The MF pad is BOSS+
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noorth View Post
    Do you have the first generation G15?
    No. I have the second gen which just came out this winter.
    Likes noorth liked this post

Thread Information