Post Thanks / Like

Any glossy type paint "markers" - instead of touch up paint - out there...?

For years I have just been using an ordinary black marker (of various widths - fine, medium) to touch up minor paint chips on my black cars.

Once you put a polish and wax over it - it really does blend in rather well - not perfect however.

Anyone know of any black glossy type paint "markers" that are used by enthusiasts and pros alike - instead of using a touch up paint...?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any glossy type paint "markers" - instead of touch up paint - out there...?

Welders markers, they are lacquer based.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

pologuy- Some touchup paint vendors sell pen-type applicators. Forget which ones do/don`t, but I`ve seen ad-copy for them.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I only use touch up paint, specifically, Dr. Colorchip.. It has worked very well for over 15 years..
    A sword brush works best for applying "just" the right amount of paint into the chip so it fills it and helps it blend in better.
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I only use touch up paint, specifically, Dr. Colorchip.. It has worked very well for over 15 years..
    A sword brush works best for applying "just" the right amount of paint into the chip so it fills it and helps it blend in better.
    Dan F
    That is my problem with Dr. Colorchip. It blends well and most don’t notice but i can see where it is not level. Ease of use and color match is spot on though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    That is my problem with Dr. Colorchip. It blends well and most don’t notice but i can see where it is not level. Ease of use and color match is spot on though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mi Amigo !
    I hope you guys are staying safe, warm, and well !
    Have you tried applying the paint with a sword brush ? It is the only thing I used when I was painting automobiles. It always worked great..
    You have to first wet it in the appropriate thinner - probably lacquer thinner, and it makes that nice point, then just get a little paint on the end of it, and just touch the chip so it fills it perfectly, and it will dry and shrink down a little bit.. If you want to make thin layers, then adjust how much paint you put in the chip and build it up..
    Here is a link like one I still have.. I buy them at automotive paint shops... If you say sword brush, they will know what you are talking about there..
    https://tcpglobal.com/products/mac20...0aAroSEALw_wcB
    Merry Christmas !
    Dan F
    Likes Coatings=crack, glfnaz liked this post
    Thanks Coatings=crack, glfnaz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

If using the optimal brush doesn`t solve the leveling issue, and you`re not gonna wetsand (which I think is usually best left alone..), you could always try the Langka approach, which can work surprisingly (at least to me) well though it might take a few tries/redos.

Post Thanks / Like

For your info---Majority of "touch up paint" be it branded by a vehicle company, or not--are produced by a subdivision of Sherwin Williams, IE Dupli-Color. These are lacquer based.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham View Post
    For your info---Majority of "touch up paint" be it branded by a vehicle company, or not--are produced by a subdivision of Sherwin Williams, IE Dupli-Color...
    That`s interesting, never knew that.

I gather that includes both the b/c and the ss ones...

Post Thanks / Like

​Yup !

Post Thanks / Like

Well OK then..gee, I still learn something new here most every day!

With DupliColor making so many of `em, I find it even more odd that the color-matching is so variable.

Thread Information