Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rust through corrosion

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I`d gladly pay a dealer to do it if they actually had a competent person doing it. They probably got one mechanic or the parts guy certified but it`s actually the meth head "lube technician" who sprays it wherever he feels like, that is if he even does it.
    funny.

Post Thanks / Like

Here a good comparison video between: fluid film (lanolin based) VS Rubber undercoating VS Crc6026 (Cosmoline based).

the YouTube channel is project farm here is video https://youtu.be/lyWHF4NoNVk

Post Thanks / Like

Cosmolene is for outter surfaces and seldom used today, plus can not be fogged into the cavaties, is only for outter panels. Fluid Film evaporates and requires reapplication every one to two years. Plus does not meet OEM performance standards. SAE and ASTM approved products last for years with one applicstion. Has been applied to millions and millions of vehicles around the world since the early 80`s.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like

Dan- When I was a kid working at the local MOPAR Store, they had a dedicated undercoating guy who *REALLY* knew his stuff and did it all right (he`s the guy who schooled me on the process). And just FWIW, he kept his Cordoba *SPOTLESS*, perfectly Detailed even by Autopian Standards. Impressive guy all-around.

Ron Ketcham- Any tips for finding somebody who`ll apply the ValuGard stuff properly (and without [screwing] up the car otherwise)? I`d worry about getting the car back all marred up or covered with Rust Inhibitor as I just don`t see it likely that somebody will spend hours masking/etc. to keep it off the surfaces that don`t need it (and yeah, deal-breaker for some of us).

Noting that most references I see to "cosmoline" aren`t *really* talking about the same (terribly messy) Cosmoline that I spent my younger yeras cleaning off of Mil Surplus stuff...
    Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    I’m surprised that more folks on here don’t use fluid film or Cosmoline to slow rust.
    WAY too messy for me. And too prone to retaining dirt. For applications where that kind of product is appropriate (see comments by Ron Ketcham), I`d rather use something that "dries like paint" such as the Eastwood Blk HD-AR.
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Go to their web site and the application video`s valugard.net both under and rust are covered.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham View Post
    Go to their web site and the application video`s valugard.net both under and rust are covered.
    I haven`t checked that out since back when we first visited the subject. I`d be all paranoid about the actual individual doing the work since IMO that`s the real make/break factor. When I did it, I spent *FOREVER* making sure that nothing would get on surfaces that didn`t need it, and I still have a fair bit of cleanup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information