Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Rust through corrosion

Does washing and applications of LSP`s keep your ride during the 60+ months of payments stop it from becoming a rust bucket? Do you "really"understand what causes vehicle "rust through corrosion,how it comes to be? To really understand you need to understand what is below the paint, how the vehicle is assembled. Let`s share what you have to share.

"Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rust through corrosion

Live in the rust belt?
    Salt is bad enough, however mag chloride solution is worse.
    In three years or less, fender lips start to go, door/trunk/hood hem flanges start corroding.
    Pickup truck, Toyota`s, GM`s start having their FRAMES break behind the cab, some GM`s, Rams are mainly rear fender lips, all brands tail gate hem flanges are subject to the rusting.
    Over the past years many passenger vehicle suffered suspension corrosion failures, resulting Federal Recalls,see TSB`s for some of these at Valugard.net under Engineers Section.
    Ford just issued one for two years of Explorers

Likes William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Biggest thing for me was applying a sticky/wax coating from Eastwood`s inside the door seams (remove the door cards), trunk seams etc with a throw away paint brush. When able during the winter, lift the hood, spray water down inside the front fenders and wheel wells... where I was able to and behind the rear bumper/trunk zone. I the spring I`d run water down between the door window "whiskers" and watch the salty water run out the door bottoms.

Eastwood anti rust.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Rust preventatives are micro wax based and quality ones carry testing and approvals by SAE and ATSM, They are NOT black,they are not applied with a brush, they are "fogged" into all inner cavaties with a special application gun. Little or no mess and ONE properly applied application protects for a decade or more. If a product does meet the
    two standards, then that is where the term "snake oil" comes from.
    People confuse "under coating" with rust preventative/inhibitors, commonly termed rust proofing-entirely different products and abilities.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham View Post
    Rust preventatives are micro wax based.
    Exactly. It is amber in color and they sell a "gun" with 24" and 32" misting wands for internal application.

Post Thanks / Like

The Eastwood Black Heavy-Duty Anti-Rust, *which I like/use/recommend* is not, as Ketch said, for cavity protection. It`s something to, for instance...spray on an exposed frame.

Take Ketch`s advice seriously, he knows what he`s talking about.

Ron Ketcham- I never did get the Aerosol version of the ValuGard stuff to work as well as the bulk through an undercoating gun (the one you recommended ). "User-error" I`m sure, but the aerosol just wasn`t sufficiently, uhm...Accumulator-proof.

(Thanks again for that DC-branded stuff!)

EDIT: FWIW, I did get good results with the (aerosol) product from KBS coatings. It`s been *years* worth of salt exposure now, and the fix that I topped with that is still holding up 100%. No, it`s not the same as fogging the right stuff on right, but if you`re gonna use an aerosol, well...that stuff works perfectly IME. But no guarantees it`ll work for somebody else

If I *REALLY* cared, I`d have a AI/ValuGard-certified shop do the work. And note that I`m sure not lacking in confidence as I`ve done it (properly) with great results. For one thing, doing it right is one seriously messy process, at least IME.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel for you folks up nort---with all them chemicals on the road etc...
    Down sout we worry about them thats been on the beach / ocean front

Post Thanks / Like

ValuGuard..... where has that been all my life? That aerosol is just what I`ll use my next vehicle!

Post Thanks / Like

What about fluid film. Really big around here in Mass. Still up in the air about it
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p

Post Thanks / Like

You don`r have to go only to a Valugard installer as the Chrysler Master Shield products are the same, been produced and provided to them since the early 80`s
    Their dealers can provide.

Post Thanks / Like

It does not meet SAE or ASTM test standards and must be reapplied regularly vs the Valugard/Chrysler products which have a minimum protective life of 5 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Fluid film/wool wax are great products I’m in Northeast pa it’s big here I crawl under Vehicle and spray It everywhere. I have also used a cosmline based product called Crc6026 when you spray it it’s liquid and dries to a hard wax.

CRC 6026 is better protection but does not creep and will not lubricate.
    fluid film does creep and will quiet down the suspension because it lubricates it’s lanolin based

check out YouTube videos on rust prevention tests and it’s interesting stuff
    Likes John U liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You don`r have to go only to a Valugard installer as the Chrysler Master Shield products are the same, been produced and provided to them since the early 80`s
    Huh, *still* the same stuff! Wondered whether they`d switched...

Post Thanks / Like

I`d gladly pay a dealer to do it if they actually had a competent person doing it. They probably got one mechanic or the parts guy certified but it`s actually the meth head "lube technician" who sprays it wherever he feels like, that is if he even does it.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m surprised that more folks on here don’t use fluid film or Cosmoline to slow rust.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information