Post Thanks / Like

Keeping a fabric top clean between washings

Would a California car duster work for keeping dust off the fabric convertible top? I am in AZ during the winter and there is a lot of dust flying around and would like to keep it looking good between washing.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Keeping a fabric top clean between washings

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    Would a California car duster work for keeping dust off the fabric convertible top? I am in AZ during the winter and there is a lot of dust flying around and would like to keep it looking good between washing.
    I think a Clean,New, CA Duster would help remove the light layer of dust that falls from the dust world above all our nicest vehicles, just fine..
    They have some kind of paraffin on the fibers that is supposed to hold onto the dust as your gently wipe over the area, and then hold it forever..

Some of the newer tops seem to be made of a cloth product that wants to attract stuff and hold onto it, like when you wipe it off with a towel after washing it.
    I once saw a Black Convertible Top on a Mini Cooper at the Art Show in Bellevue, WA., and it was covered with white lint on that new black top !! Looked awful !!

The people who owned that Mini were leaving after, and I asked them if they needed help removing all that lint, and got to Detail the Mini..
    I had to wash it a couple of times, and then while it was still wet from rinsing, take my Mytee extractor with heated water, and extract the entire top, to get all that embedded lint out of it... It turned out beautiful ! They loved it ! It was new again !

Try it and see if it works for your needs..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

This is a 13 Boxster, so its fabric. Will take a duster with me and give it a shot when we get to AZ.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Last spring I treated my C7 cloth top for the second time in 6 years with RaggTop. It too lives in AZ.

I never wet it. When I wash the car with a hose (2 or 3 times a yr) I keep the spray away from the top. I dry the car with a Groits PFM towel and when thru I use that wet towel to gently wipe over the top.

I use Optimum Rinseless wash and soak fluffy 16"x16" microfiber towels to remove the dust when needed. I prespray the surface with the rinseless wash and use Griots spray-on wax as a drying agent

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    Last spring I treated my C7 cloth top for the second time in 6 years with RaggTop. It too lives in AZ.

I never wet it. When I wash the car with a hose (2 or 3 times a yr) I keep the spray away from the top. I dry the car with a Groits PFM towel and when thru I use that wet towel to gently wipe over the top.

I use Optimum Rinseless wash and soak fluffy 16"x16" microfiber towels to remove the dust when needed. I prespray the surface with the rinseless wash and use Griots spray-on wax as a drying agent
    Kinda same thing. When i rinseless i’ll take a TRCEE and dunk it and ring it out pretty well. Will use a towel or two per top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Kinda same thing. When i rinseless i’ll take a TRCEE and dunk it and ring it out pretty well. Will use a towel or two per top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Actually I’m using The Rag Co. Edgeless Eagles now on the body. I’ll give them a try as a roof “duster”.

Thread Information