Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Preventing rust on rotors after a car wash

Is there a product out there to spray on the rotors to avoid rust after a wash? I`ll wash my garage queen and put it away in the garage only to have rust on the rotors in hours. I`ll drive forward and back in the driveway after the wash to allow the pads to scuff the rotors but sometimes its not enough. I have a gravel driveway so I don`t go far after a wash because of the dust. I`d rather just spray something on the rotors.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Preventing rust on rotors after a car wash

Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps merely a coincidence, but after I used the Hyde stuff the previously OK oe finish on the A8`s front rotors was utterly ruined, requiring Pro refinishing to get back to OK. Also, I found the product of, uhm....modest...efficacy (to be generous). The best I can say is that "it sorta works but don`t use it on something you *really* care about (which would include all of my vehicles). <br>
    <br>
    I have a few bottles on the shelf that I oughta just throw away some time...every time I see them I think of the hassle of shipping off those rotors and the car being stuck on a lift for ages...<br><br><span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif;">So...no matter what, after I wash something I drive it enough for the pads to clean that surface rust off the rotors, and then I clean up the resulting mess with something.&nbsp; If I can`t drive it in the normal sense, I at least pull it back/forth a zillion times in the shop, which requires lots of floorspace.&nbsp; Yes, it`s a huge hassle but I`ve yet to come up with a real solution </span>

EDIT: And yeah, that "little bit of surface rust" can matter. I had to replace the S8`s rotors over it actually pitting their surface to the point of affecting the braking behavior.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Accumulator, I`ve always respected your knowledge and opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Haven`t had an issue with hydes.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Haven`t had an issue with hydes.
    Glad to hear that! I`d love it for everybody else to have positive experiences with the stuff. Then this can just be another of the many things that don`t work for [Accumulator] but do work fine for many others.

*I* had OK experiences with it until it cost me a [freakin`] fortune on the A8, and that could`ve *absolutely* just been, well...one of those things.

BUT note that even when I used it, I still had to somehow rotate the wheels/rotors to deal with the moisture trapped under the pads; failure to do that can result in the exact type of corrosion that killed the S8`s rotors (and has left others less-than-perfect too), so I sure wouldn`t skip it. Not a big deal, but it *kinda* defeats the whole idea of using the Hyde`s if the vehicle will just be sitting in the same place during/after the wash (unless you`re jacking it up anyhow).

So I`m sure not flaming the stuff, just mentioning some caveats and admitting that it wasn`t right for me. Do wish I hadn`t bought so much before rendering my judgement though

Post Thanks / Like

If it is a garage queen and you`re not able to move it around enough to knock rust off the rotors, I wonder if a waterless or rinseless washes might be a better choice. You can wash the car and the rotors will never get wet.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    If it is a garage queen and you`re not able to move it around enough to knock rust off the rotors, I wonder if a waterless or rinseless washes might be a better choice. You can wash the car and the rotors will never get wet.
    I don’t have a garage queen but I was doing a rinseless wash yesterday and thought that same exact thing about the rotors. Also made me think of something Mike Phillips posted for older cars that he won’t do a regular wash on them due to potential body rust issues. As a matter of fact, I did a rinseless yesterday and didn’t have much dripping on my driveway so for me, and I was considering a switch, I don’t personally see the need for waterless. I was using the Cobra Buff & Shine microfiber towels (blue/gray) with Wolfgang Uber SiO2 Rinseless and like I said, very little water hitting the ground. Definitely none on my rotors but in the warmer months I often do a regular wash but I may have to rethink that.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I just use the Metro Master Blaster all over the vehicle, and especially on the wheels, rotors, tires, and I hardly ever have the issue. https://www.autopia-carcare.com/mast...l#.X7TMo2WQH3g

But I live in California, so I also have better weather conditions..

Air movement and heat dries things, so having learned by living in the Pacific Northwest for 11 years, when you don`t have heat, use a lot of air movement to help dry things on/in vehicles..

I have 4 of these for each side of the floor of Interiors to help dry it faster after cleaning and extracting carpets, etc.. https://www.amazon.com/Air-King-3-Sp.../dp/B00009YV7B

Perhaps something like this pointed at your brakes for a bit could help dry the pads,etc.., ?

Dan F
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs- Some of my rotors flash-rust pretty much *instantly*. Noting that they get wet again right away since I use so much water, it`s almost like..."set down hose, grab airline, stare at the rust and say `why bother` ".

Desertnate- Oh man, if I could RW/etc. without marring my life would be *SO* much easier Though I gotta be careful about getting IUDJ on the rotors too.."it`ll just get wiped right off by the pads" but only after the first "stop that doesn`t happen", sure didn`t expect that!
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Stokdgs- Some of my rotors flash-rust pretty much *instantly*. Noting that they get wet again right away since I use so much water, it`s almost like..."set down hose, grab airline, stare at the rust and say `why bother` ".
    The rotors on my BMW are like that. Rust faster than anything I`ve ever owned...but the stop better than anything I`ve ever owned too... Mine too will start rusting while I`m drying off the car. Even on a foggy morning I`ll come out to my car after work and they will be nicely rusted up. Fortunately, a couple horrible sounding stabs of the brakes later and they are shiny again.

Desertnate- Oh man, if I could RW/etc. without marring my life would be *SO* much easier Though I gotta be careful about getting IUDJ on the rotors too.."it`ll just get wiped right off by the pads" but only after the first "stop that doesn`t happen", sure didn`t expect that!
    Marring is a big concern for me with a waterless wash too and I`ve never tried a rinseless wash to form an opinion. My thoughts were a garage queen might not get dirty enough for marring to be the problem it is for us with our daily drivers. Hard to say since we`re not there, but it would be an alternative to a bucket/hose wash and rusty rotors.

Are you saying IUDJ effected braking when it got on your rotors?! Wow. I didn`t think any detailing product would last more than a brief moment to the heat and stress of a brake pad on a rotor.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Marring is a big concern for me with a waterless wash too and I`ve never tried a rinseless wash to form an opinion. My thoughts were a garage queen might not get dirty enough for marring to be the problem it is for us with our daily drivers. Hard to say..
    Eh, I`ve had "mild garage dust" mar something awful, so I err on the side of caution. But then, I`m awfully fanatical about this and can`t expect everybody else to be. I do clean my wheels/tires often between washes, and *ON MY WHEELS* any resulting marring/etc. is OK with me. But yeah...I don`t get `em truly wet unless I have a plan for the rotors.

Are you saying IUDJ effected braking when it got on your rotors?! Wow. I didn`t think any detailing product would last more than a brief moment to the heat and stress of a brake pad on a rotor.
    YES.

I *NEVER* expected that and would`ve scoffed at the mere suggestion. Live and learn...though it was more like "live to tell" as it was just incredibly severe. Never woulda thunk it...

Post Thanks / Like

No, I wish. My driveway is a 1/3 of mile gravel road. Black shows the dust after EVERY trip in and out. To much dust where I would trust a waterless wash. I have thought about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
    No, I wish. My driveway is a 1/3 of mile gravel road..
    I commend you on doing your best anyhow instead of just letting it go as "something you can`t work with". That`s gotta be a real, ongoing challenge.
    Likes Desertnate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I commend you on doing your best anyhow instead of just letting it go as "something you can`t work with". That`s gotta be a real, ongoing challenge.
    It definitely causes me not to drive it as much as I would like to. I am working on having a different mindset about it though. I will never say screw it and not care, maybe just try not to stress over washing it immediately after use before parking. Maybe it could wait a day or two or when I have a little more time
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information