Post Thanks / Like

Can I put PPF over BF AIO?

If the paint is in pretty good shape but has some scratches and marring that are gone using the aio, would it stay that way under PPF or should I go through a paint correction?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can I put PPF over BF AIO?

You wouldn`t want to put PPF over an AIO as the AIO leaves protection on the surface that the PPF will have trouble bonding to. You`ll want to correct the paint and make sure there is no wax/sealant on the surface before installing PPF

Post Thanks / Like

Makes total sense.

Post Thanks / Like

This may open your eyes a bit. Check out the 6 min mark.

Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes mc2hill liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcgreen View Post
    If the paint is in pretty good shape but has some scratches and marring that are gone using the aio, would it stay that way under PPF or should I go through a paint correction?
    I have had a lot of clear bra installed on my own vehicles and a lot of Client`s vehicles..

What ever you do to your paintwork -before- the clearbra will remain that way after the clear bra, unless your paint clearcoat is already starting to fail, etc..
    I have always corrected the paintwork before the work, and it really looks great after the clear bra is installed..

I still have perfect clearbra over the entire front end of my 2009 Black Grand Cherokee, that still looks great..

Yes, it has taken the hit from stuff in places, but it totally protected my paintwork underneath, and that is exactly what it is supposed to do, now 11 years later..

The Installer will spray something over the areas to remove all traces of things that will prevent bonding..

Have never had an installation delaminate over a decade and counting.

The only thing you have to make sure does not happen is the Installer/s who use razor blades to cut and trim the product do NOT cut your vehicle`s surfaces (paintwork, trim, etc.,) anywhere.. So you need to tell them this, and then before you pay for it, go inspect it..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs- It sounds like the current PPF is overall a lot better than the stuff I had on my Yukon XLD a decade or so ago. I`m especially impressed that nothing has penetrated it on your Grand Cherokee and none of the vehicles you`re familiar with have it delaminating.

One of these days I oughta look into having somebody do some PPF (and redo the tint) on the Crown Vic, sounds like my wait will be worth it (ASSuming I can actually find somebody to do the work without [screw]ing it up).
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Stokdgs- It sounds like the current PPF is overall a lot better than the stuff I had on my Yukon XLD a decade or so ago. I`m especially impressed that nothing has penetrated it on your Grand Cherokee and none of the vehicles you`re familiar with have it delaminating.

One of these days I oughta look into having somebody do some PPF (and redo the tint) on the Crown Vic, sounds like my wait will be worth it (ASSuming I can actually find somebody to do the work without [screw]ing it up).
    Mi Hermano!
    Hope you and yours are staying safe and well up there !
    I am still safe here and hopefully, the 5 wildfires all around me are not so bad..
    There is still enough ash falling from the sky that blows up into the air like smoke when I use my blower, after cutting the lawns..

Yes, the PPF of today is so much more improved ! I had the used, 2007 Acura TL Type-S front end done in a very nice 3M product back in 2015, and it is thinner by a little bit, appears to be so much more improved over the older version that was applied to my Jeep on 2009..
    I think you will be so happy with it, it will also be way less noticeable at those lines where it meets the paintwork..

The only pain will be removing the old clear bra, which in of itself, is not that hard, with a carefully used heat gun..

But, it is all the remaining Glue, that will take a lot more patience and time to get all off.. But it Will come all off.. This is where your 3m adhesive remover, etc., products really help out, just as you know, keep it well ventilated around you..

Couple of years ago at the last SEMA I attended, the 3M ppf booth had impressive products on display...
    If I needed it again for any vehicle, I would not hesitate to get 3M ppf..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs- Fortunately, I don`t have any vehicles that need existing PPF removed (sold that Yukon years ago), although that will be part of retinting the Crown Vic`s windows

Good to hear the PPF is better, I basically decided that having the Yukon done wasn`t worth it; stuff *penetrated* the PPF before my wife even got it home from TN! And I gotta say that keeping my LSPs from building up around the edges was a bit of a hassle...doable of course, but got me grumbling every time.

Stay safe! I`d forgotten that you`re still dealing with the wildfires as well as the Pandemic.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

this is a stupid question....what does PPF mean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maurofc70 View Post
    Paint Protection Film

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much....
    Likes mc2hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maurofc70 View Post
    I see it has already been answered correctly; Paint Protection Film.. Thanks Mc2hill !!
    This used to be called clear bra material way back when it first came out..
    Dan F

Thread Information