Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiar`s says any more than one coat of wax is useless...?

Talking to / e-mailing a guy at Meguiar`s that is saying that putting any more than one coat of wax on a car is useless...?

That a second (or more) coat of wax doesn`t stay on the car as it has nothing to adhere to...?

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiar`s says any more than one coat of wax is useless...?

That is probably true with Meguiars products and how they work. Other products work differently.
    Likes William_Wallace, Vegas1, re-tired liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If you apply a perfect, uniform coat of wax then I suppose there is no need to apply a second coat for the sake of uniformity. But I must screw up the first coat because I almost always see a slightly better finish after two coats of the same product.

I personally also think two coats can pile on or mix with each other for improved look or durability. There’s too many smart people who have tried it here and gotten better results with a second coat. I’m not smart but I get better results. But perhaps Meguiar’s is only speaking for Meguiar’s, as wannafbody mentioned.

And I don’t use Meguiar’s waxes/sealants anymore, so there’s also that.
    Likes wannafbody, William_Wallace, re-tired liked this post
    Thanks William_Wallace thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried many times to disprove but have to admit anything past 1 or 21 coats is only therapeutic
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Desertnate, jtford95 liked this post
    Thanks wannafbody, jtford95 thanked for this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Zaino reaches it max potential at 20 coats. Never saw a difference after that.
    Likes Stokdgs, re-tired liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

There are a host car-care manufacturers who make waxes that even recommend multiple coats of wax. SwissVax is one, as is Zymol, and Pinnacle Souvran Paste Wax. I was with the understanding that many concourse show cars have multiple wax applications.
    Guess they all want you to use more of their expensive wax!

I will say this, the ONE TIME I did a multiple wax application was to a silver grey Chevy Malibu with AutoGlym`s High-Definition Wax (Yes, THAT wax many Autopians bought when Walmart was clearance selling out that line, which is where mine came from) Did it make a difference?? Incrementally, yes. I did it for two reasons: 1) To ensure I had complete coverage everywhere, which was hard to see on this silver grey; 2) Extra protection for longevity (at least in my mind. Autoglym HD is NOT a protection wax but a beauty wax and it showed on this silver grey)
    GB detailer

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it really depends on the solvents used. P21s might layer but a heavy solvent wax probably will remove most of what`s been previously applied or result in a slightly thicker layer. Water based products are probably the most likely to layer.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Zaino reaches it max potential at 20 coats. Never saw a difference after that.
    I have seen many Zaino regional reps vehicles with a LOT of Z2 and Z5 Zaino on them and they looked incredible !!! It was like extra clear coat on their paintwork..

I never had the time to apply more than their recommended 3 Thin Layers with ZFX, and it always worked great..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

It`s not that hard to DIY a properly controlled Layering Test and determine any benefits/not for yourself. Then you`ll *KNOW* and can happily disregard the comments and opinions of others. Which is what I generally do, but for a Meguiar`s rep to say, *categorically*, that it doesn`t work?!? Eh,

Yes, with many products you do have to go about the Layering the right way.

Specific to Meguiar`s Waxes, anybody who says that M16 can`t be layered is wrong. Period. It was an *OBVIOUS* and dramatic difference that I have *decades* of experience with. Maybe that one wasn`t considered by the Rep since it`s no longer available...

I haven`t tried Layering their UQW (the only other Meguiar`s LSP I use) in any serious way, but the very similar OCW *CAN* also be layered, so it wouldn`t surprise me if the UQW/D156 can be also. But OK, I don`t know for sure since *nobody* knows such stuff for certain unless he`s tested it himself (if only due to diffs in application technique).

Heh heh, I wouldn`t waste one minute of my life layering something if it didn`t work (other than when doing the test ).
    Likes acuRAS82, William_Wallace liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I have seen many Zaino regional reps vehicles with a LOT of Z2 and Z5 Zaino on them and they looked incredible !!! It was like extra clear coat on their paintwork..

I never had the time to apply more than their recommended 3 Thin Layers with ZFX, and it always worked great..
    Dan F
    I really was joking. I think there comes a point where it reaches diminishing returns.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I really was joking. I think there comes a point where it reaches diminishing returns.
    Absolutely, but it seems pretty mighty of the rep to claim that more than 1 is useless. Unless he did have a specific Meguiar’s wax in mind, but even then he’s assuming everyone applies perfect on the first try.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it really depends on the solvents used. P21s might layer but a heavy solvent wax probably will remove most of what`s been previously applied or result in a slightly thicker layer. Water based products are probably the most likely to layer.
    I`ve always wondered about that too. When I used 845 I never bothered with layering because not only did one layer last me plenty long for my needs, but I was pretty sure all the solvents in that stuff wouldn`t do any pervious layers any favors.

The only product I`ve seen any gain from layering was Klasse SG. Years ago, when I still used it, I had one vehicle with two layers and one vehicle with one layer. The two layer vehicle demonstrated noticeably more evidence the product was still present despite that vehicle living a much harder life than the one layer vehicle.

Everything else I`ve used didn`t really offer any extra durability or improvement in appearance by adding additional layers.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes Stokdgs, wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I`ve always wondered about that too.
    Then exepriment

When I used 845 I never bothered with layering because not only did one layer last me plenty long for my needs, but I was pretty sure all the solvents in that stuff wouldn`t do any pervious layers any favors.
    845 layers fine for me, and doing that improved the durability *almost* enough for me to be satisfied, though it never equaled what I got out of 476S (which also layers, including in combos with 845).
    The only product I`ve seen any gain from layering was Klasse SG. Years ago, when I still used it, I had one vehicle with two layers and one vehicle with one layer. The two layer vehicle demonstrated noticeably more evidence the product was still present despite that vehicle living a much harder life than the one layer vehicle.
    I got decent durability out of 4 layers of KSG, much better with 6 (never tried more IIRC, looks quit improving after the 4).

Everything else I`ve used didn`t really offer any extra durability or improvement in appearance by adding additional layers.
    Interesting, as many LSPs and even some AIOs layer for me...eh, lots of application/etc.-related variables though.
    Likes Desertnate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been thinking about layering UQW/D156...I use it as a Drying Aid at every wash (for at least *something* on each vehicle). Used to be that it was *DEAD* every time; prior to redoing it gave no obvious evidence of having survived the wash. BUT, these days it still beads/feels slick/looks decent before I redo it, so *something* is building up in a way that I like. Not as obviously as the OCW layers on paint, but still something.
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Is this on a daily you expose to your lovely Ohio winter weather?

If you are going to go the way of layering spray sealants, what about some of the products with a reputation for multi-month durability? I haven`t used any of them, but acuRAS82`s testing he documented here might provide some ideas.

I`m not against UQW, but never really though of it being more than a booster type product and am not sure it will be durable enough for you. I could be wrong. I never used it by itself, but the improvements I saw when using it as a topper never seemed to last more than a couple weeks.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information