Post Thanks / Like

Pock marks - looking for recommendations

I am looking for suggestions on how to fix this.

The linked photo of my hood shows tiny pock marks both by the graphics and on the bottom part of the photo. In-person, the marks in both locations look essentially the same.

I think this happened as a result of my re-painting a tool box (red, of course) and failing to notice the overspray. The car wasn`t even in the garage when I did this! In fact, I wouldn`t have noticed it if I hadn`t started claying and noticed the red coming off.

I`ve tried 3M Rubbing Compound (not the more aggressive perfect it variety, just the regular Rubbing Compound) with a Lake Country orange pad. That created some minor marring that was easily correctable with a green pad and Pinnacle Swirl Remover. But it did not remove the etching/pock marks. Altogether, I did several passes with that combo with the same results.

Should I try M105? Or is that too aggressive?

The image is too large to upload because it`s 108 mp. I figured this was the best way to capture the defects in a photo:

https://i.imgur.com/PuOY3g0.jpg

The car is a 2019 Camaro, for what that`s worth.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pock marks - looking for recommendations

EJR8402- Welcome to Autopia!

The pic makes me wonder whether, if it *is indeed from the overspray* whether said paint mist might`ve compromised the oe clear. Heh heh, red overspray on a red car doesn`t make it easier to figure out, huh?!?

Regulars here can probably see my response coming a mile away: I`d inspect it under magnification and try to get a better idea of exactly what has happened, what`s really going on, before proceeding to more aggressive abrasion.

I haven`t worked *today`s* GM clear, but I`m pretty confident that M105 will be OK on it (I`ve done countless aggressive passes with it on my older GMs with zero problems, just micromarring to clear up), but no point in abrading it at all unless that`s really what`s called for.
    Likes Ron Ketcham liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    EJR8402- Welcome to Autopia!

The pic makes me wonder whether, if it *is indeed from the overspray* whether said paint mist might`ve compromised the oe clear. Heh heh, red overspray on a red car doesn`t make it easier to figure out, huh?!?

Regulars here can probably see my response coming a mile away: I`d inspect it under magnification and try to get a better idea of exactly what has happened, what`s really going on, before proceeding to more aggressive abrasion.

I haven`t worked *today`s* GM clear, but I`m pretty confident that M105 will be OK on it (I`ve done countless aggressive passes with it on my older GMs with zero problems, just micromarring to clear up), but no point in abrading it at all unless that`s really what`s called for.
    Thank you, any feedback is much appreciated.

What else would I do to correct it besides abrade it? I`ve already clayed it (as mentioned, to remove the red spray paint.) It`s smooth as can be currently, as it`s had a polishing with the 3M, followed by Pinnacle and Klasse AIO. So I know there aren`t any surface defects.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EJR8402 View Post
    Thank you, any feedback is much appreciated...
    Hope you get some truly *useful* feedback though, I sure didn`t contribute much except sympathy!

What else would I do to correct it besides abrade it? I`ve already clayed it (as mentioned, to remove the red spray paint.) It`s smooth as can be currently, as it`s had a polishing with the 3M, followed by Pinnacle and Klasse AIO. So I know there aren`t any surface defects.
    It sounds like the overspray might`ve etched the clear, and if that`s the case then yeah...gotta abrade it level if you want to make it better I`d sure be careful...it`s easy to overdo it these days with clearcoats being so thin.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m not going to be of direct help but maybe an indirect cautionary tale. I bought a used car that had some bad bird poop (assumption) etching on several places around the car; mainly hood, trunk lid, and above the rear passenger door (biggest). I started mild and went more aggressive on the trunk lid. I went through and started affecting the color before I started addressing the etching. So be careful trying to correct so much that you cause more damage. If it is indeed etching, you may just be better off living with it. Hopefully someone gives you a more informed and more helpful response. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgage View Post
    ..[speaking with the Voice of Experience]...be careful trying to correct so much that you cause more damage. If it is indeed etching, you may just be better off living with it. Hopefully someone gives you a more informed and more helpful response. Good luck.
    Even if the above seems like a pessimistic bummer, IMO that`s one very good post.

There are a lot of seemingly minor issues that can really only be fixed with a paint gun.

Thread Information