Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Accidental discovery-maybe a new no mar wash system

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    Why? They were cool. I hate cleaning wheels so I get them out of the way first.

Also I don’t like water sitting on paint after wash and making potential spots. I’m semi careful not to over spray too much water when doing the wheels.

I’m always looking to learn so please tell me
    Why you do wheels last.
    I do the same thing and have since I started cleaning cars up in the late 1970`s. If you are outside in sun etc the last thing I want is the car sitting there baking in the sun while I try to clean wheels and tires. I do that first then the front bumper because it usually takes a while too because of bugs. Then I start on the paint. I think you are doing it right sir

Post Thanks / Like

Even though I generally do the wheels/tires and often the wells, at least once between whole-vehicle washes (very, very carefully to keep water/etc. off the rest of the vehicle), by the time I do a full wash the wheels/wells/undercarriage are always the dirtiest parts, so I wash them first lest I get that [stuff] all over areas I`ve already cleaned. I suppose many Autopians never let anything get as dirty as I do though...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Drying extra mitts would be my issue. It`s hard work enough to wash 2 mitts, then get a hanger, clip them and then find a spot to hang it.
    Multiply that x 5X
    I only wash my sheepskin mitts maybe twice/year..they never get dirty enough to really need washing since I get almost all the dirt off before I switch to them.

Drying them? I quit drying my sheepskin mitts decades ago. I basically just neglect the [heck] outta them yet they last for years.

MF mitts OTOH, I just wash with my other (non-glass) MFs.

Post Thanks / Like

I can`t see how one would not want to dry them or at least - aid- them by drying, even it just propping it ontop of a bottle or stick to keep the glove open (note, I don`t flip mine nor do I think I can without much fuss). the skin part when it remains wet....get`s a bit wet and stanky. yeah, I said stanky

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    I can`t see how one would not want to dry them or at least - aid- them by drying, even it just propping it ontop of a bottle or stick to keep the glove open (note, I don`t flip mine nor do I think I can without much fuss). the skin part when it remains wet....get`s a bit wet and stanky. yeah, I said stanky
    Never had any issues at all, never had them get rank, certainly never *wanted* to do *anything* except get the wash over and done with so I could get back to Life

Eh, that last bit sounded snarky and I don`t mean to be But just I don`t do *anything* Detailing-related unless there`s a discernible benefit to me, and there wasn`t when I bothered [messing] my sheepskin mitts. I`d expected to go through them like crazy, but they`ve held up just the same if not *better* with zero real attention.

It does occur to me that the shop`s dehumidifier might factor in significantly, and I don`t just let `em sit in a clump in the bottom of the buckets (I`ll at least drape them over the edge of same).. but overall, the way I don`t have the sheepskin mitt issues that others do is just one of those things I can`t explain but gladly accept.

I guess I post my apparently weird experiences like this just so somebody else might think "hey, I don`t have those problems either, maybe I don`t need to do that stuff any more than [Accumulator].." If I can save somebody some work or headaches I sure want to. I`m *not* posting it to imply that people oughta quit doing what is of benefit to them, that`s for sure!

Post Thanks / Like

No snark intended. Maybe I just got a better smell-o-meter and I can pick the smell of wet SS <dunno>.
    On the flipside, the siginificant CEO says otherwise and says I have no sense of smell.

I said this in another post, but mods, we need more emoticons

Post Thanks / Like

mobiledynamics- So glad I didn`t come across as badly as I`d feared.

And yeah...between my allergies and the dogs, and all the other scents in the shop, maybe my sniff-meter sets the ew-bar higher than some. As long as the mitts`re never slimy or otherwise bring issues to my attention I`ll just keep doing my happy-shrug over my apparent good fortune

Heh heh, Accumulatorette would say that I have a *more* sensitive nose than she does, but maybe this one doesn`t register on me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Still using multiple mitts to this day. Nice thing is you can use them with or without buckets.
    Bill are you pre-rinsing with the hose or anything like that before you do the "foam at point of contact" wash?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes pre rinse with the hose, foam, then wash with point of contact foaming. This is how I read Accumulator does it so that`s what I tried and have been doing so for several years now.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Thanks DetailZeus thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve gone to using a pressure washer for that initial rinse. With the right (and healthy) LSP on there that usually gets my vehicles to what most non-Autopians would consider "clean", even when they`re "what color is that filthy thing?"-dirty. Cheapest unit AR makes, gift from my wife years ago and still working fine despite *ZERO* care/maintenance ever. OK, I did replace the hose once, but the basic unit has been trouble-free and perfectly effective *for that particular application* (yeah, far too weak for much of anything else).

If somebody`s not using a pressure washer..I`d run out and buy the first ~$80 cheapie that shows up on sale.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information