Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Truck hood a mess

Hello,

I have uploaded pictures of my truck hood / back bumper. The left side of my truck hood was not touched. I had like a haze / scratch type look which you can kinda see in the left side of the hood. So i appled meguiars compound and polish. Washed my truck , dryed it. Then applied compound with a applicator pad by hand and cleaned with a micro fibre towel. Then applied polish and same procedure as the compound but did more smaller circles. Also did let it dry and did not to all this in direct sunlight. Was not doing huge sections at a time.

Now I have this white glaze look and looks like a mess ? Any ideas how I can fix this ? I am woundering if Turtle Black Box finish kit would help this at all?

Also I was woundering how i could fix my back bumper paint? Would black automotive paint fix this doing cheap way and look okay?

Thanks for any input
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Truck hood a mess

Did you polish through the paint down to the primer?

Post Thanks / Like

not on the hood ? no idea what’s happening there.. The bumper i haven’t touched with anything

Post Thanks / Like

Letting the compound and the polish "dry" may be your mistake. It looks like polish residue that was not removed OR something from the applicator pad that was not washed or cleaned from it and you have previously used that applicator pad for applying a wax, and then used it for applying the compound and then the polish. I am guessing.

You could rewash the clouded/grey area and then try a smaller area , like a 18 by 18" square, first with a hand application of the compound and polish using two NEW foam applicators, one for the compound and one for the polish and view the results for yourself. Make sure you wipe it off immediately after your application. I doubt you have gone down to the primer using a compound and polish by hand, unless the base coat and clear coat substrate that are on top of the primer were "seriously" corrected (AKA, thinned) with a machine buffer before that you do not know about. Without a Paint Thickness Gauge (PTG) measurement to verify this, there is no way of knowing. Like you mentioned, I would not suggest doing this in the direct sun if it is hot, but either inside a garage or early in the morning or later afternoon when it is cooler and you could use the shade from a building if doing this outside. If the first test area looks satisfactory to you, then move on to the next small area and repeat the process. Just make sure to clean out the applicator pads after doing three or four small areas so you don`t overload the pad with compound/polish product OR if the pad looks dirty. You can use Dawn Dish Soap and HOT water if that is all you have for cleaning, but an automotive all-purpose cleaner and HOT water would be better. Just make sure to wring it out and wrist-snap it to try to remove as much water as possible before reusing it again.

If that FIRST small test area still looks terrible or even worse, you have much bigger "problems" that will require the services of a professional detailer or body shop. I say that because of the limited products you have (Meg`s Compound and Polish, and I assume they are the "Ultimate" consumer versions and not the Professional Mirror Glaze M105 and M205 or the newer Ultra-Pro M110 and M210) and the fact you are doing this by hand.

Also, the microfiber clothes you are using could make-or-break the end results. Some microfibers will lint like crazy and continuous wiping with them to try to remove that lint may mar or "scratch" the surface. Some cheaper microfibers tend to scratch the clear coat as well and others may not be absorbent enough to remove the compound or polish. AND, as with the applicators, if you re-use a microfiber clothe/towel that may not be clean and had been used previously for wiping off some other car-care product, like an interior dressing, you may be getting contamination/streaks from that. Again, I am guessing.

Sorry if I sound like a put-down and am so critical, but some detailing "problems" are self-inflicted simply because of ignorance and not knowing proper application and removal techniques and methodologies and having the right accessories/equipment for obtaining the desires results.

Just like removing a frozen hex-head bolt with an adjustable wrench and hammer may get the job done, but chances are you`ll round off the corners/flats, when using a penetrating oil first and then a hex socket and breaker-bar may have been a much better choice, but you have to have the latter two product and tools to do that to begin with. If all you have is the adjustable wrench and hammer, you use what you have and may suffer the consequences.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Yes using megs basic compound and polish. It seams it looks good once i applied but it’s the day after it comes off all white like my pictures show. I have been using separate pads and towels as well, doing it in a shaded area. Maybe i am using to much of each ?

Post Thanks / Like

Just had an out there thought. You do realize that the polish and compounds are intended to come off entirely within minutes of application right?
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Just had an out there thought. You do realize that the polish and compounds are intended to come off entirely within minutes of application right?

Yes they were both wiped off with a micro fibre towel.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

What was the condition of the paint before you started working on it ? Was it very dull and dead looking? Perhaps a little shiny but dull?? Pls advise..

What is the year, make, model, of the vehicle, and color of that paint??

Which Meguiars products did you use?? The name of it and the number of it please..

I think you did not work the product with pressure on the applicator, on one small spot, completely..

And, if you did this when the hood was hot to the touch, this was never going to work correctly, because the heat is causing the product to dry too quickly..

These products for correction especially, have to be worked down into the paint kind of hard at first to get them to break down to a certain degree, start cleaning the paint on that spot, and then continue to break down, to finish cleaning and leaving a nice smooth finish.

If the compound is allowed to dry too quickly, it cannot work as it is intended to work, so you have so sometimes spray a little moisture on it, if it is starting to dry too fast..

Then, the Polish product applied in the same manner, will continue to clean, and polish, and give a better quality clarity and gloss.

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Sean1714- Welcome to Autopia!

Let`s see if I have this right, I want to clarify the situation:

You use the Meguiar`s stuff, buffing it off before it flashes, and things seem fine. BUT...

The next day it`s white and chalky-looking again.

Is that right?

Post Thanks / Like

So I bought a dual action polisher, goes up to 6 speeds.. Used a hex design compound pad and a hex polish pad. Still using meguairs compound and polish. Serperate pads for each. The first 3 photos of me doing it on Saturday. The next 4 of is the next day. I wipe the compound and polish off with a micro fibre towl after completing each step. Should i be applying polish is this is why I am getting this white stuff? It looks fine when i am driving but when i put my head over the roof in front with my camera as shown, this is what it looks like the next day. Was doing this project in a garage, was not warm at all. Any suggestions ? Thanks

Truck hood a mess-img_2289.jpgTruck hood a mess-img_2291.jpgTruck hood a mess-img_2290.jpgTruck hood a mess-img_2287.jpgTruck hood a mess-img_2288.jpgTruck hood a mess-img_2286.jpgTruck hood a mess-img_2284.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Sean1740- Correction via machine is a somewhat involved topic, kinda too much so for concise answers, at least for me. It`s something that I`d sure research and study for, oh...at least twenty-some hours...before actually trying to accomplish something as significant as what your pix show.

Eh, I fear that`s gonna sound like a blow-off and I *REALLY* don`t mean it to be. It`s just the sort of subject that I can`t boil down to a quick explanation.

Just "how to prime the pad" can be a topic for extended study as different products can call for *completely* different approaches.

here are some things to think about:

-How big an area are you working at a time?

-How often are you cleaning the pad (I *NEVER* do a whole panel without cleaning the pad, and often use multiple pads when compounding a panel that size)?

-How many section passes are you doing with the compound and what do you expect to accomplish with that before switching to the Polish?

-What are you using to clean the panel off after you buff off the residual product with your MF but before you inspect it?

-Are you getting *all* of the compound/polish off before they dry?

-When/why are you switching from compound to polish?

I dunno...I`d be pretty surprised if you could correct that kind of damage without removing so much clearcoat that what`s left fails with UV exposure, but maybe you can. *I* would plan on having it repainted, and approach the correction as "let`s just see, nothing left to lose at this point", but that`s just me and I hate to sound pessimistic.

Post Thanks / Like

small areas at a time. 6” x 6” it looks nice once the compound is applied and polish.. waited about hour or so after to
    polish.. Yes wiping it clean.. it’s the next day where it just goes white
    like shown in pictures.. would wax prevent this ? why would it go white the next day ?

Post Thanks / Like

do maybe 6 passes in my small area. When i buff with the compound the white goes away. Even wiping away with mf towel. But whatever reason as shown pics of next day looks like that

Post Thanks / Like

Machine polishing is hard to instruct in this environment. I`m a more visual learner and found YouTube videos to be pretty helpful when I first started machine polishing. I think Mike Phillips has at least one instruction video I watched which covers the basics. I also would look at product review videos where the reviewer was actually applying a polish. With those video`s I`d mute the audio so I didn`t have to listen to them talk about the product and I simply watched them work. I would focus on how fast they were moving their arms, the size of the work area, how they worked in a cross-hatch pattern, etc.

You did note working a 6" area...that`s too small. For a large panel I`d work an area about 24" or similar depending on the creases/seams in the sheet metal.

On to the hood in the in the picture.

I`ll start by saying the scratching/damage shown in the close-ups looks pretty bad. I`m not sure I`d even try to polish that out. Like Accumulator mentioned, you could easily remove an unhealthy amount of clear coat trying to remove them.

The hazing returning makes me wonder if the clear coat is already just about gone at this point. The polishes will have oils in them and even removing the polish some of the oils may be "moisturizing" the clear coat and making it look better. After a few hours go by, could those oils be evaporating which causes the hazy, oxidized appearance to return? Just a thought.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes grungy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Is that an aftermarket hood? I wonder the quality of the clear used and if it`s just past the point of saving at this point.

From the pictures, to be honest I`d be really surprised if it could be saved. I`d consider just getting it vinyl wrapped or professionally repainted.
    Likes Desertnate, wannafbody, tom p. liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information