Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Truck hood a mess

From the look of it, those scratches might be too deep to compound out with a PC. I`m not even sure that can be corrected with a rotary and wool pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah...if it`s genuinely *oxidizing* quickly...if that`s the "whiteness"...then the paint is shot and you gotta reshoot it. Could well be that polishing oils making it temporarily look OK, especially with Meguiar`s stuff and all those TSO that drive me nuts. It sounds like you`re *NOT* stripping those oils off/out of the paint with a product that does that, but rather are merely buffing off the product residue...that could well explain it. (Some of us are fanatical about stripping those oils before even trying to evaluate how things are going...and yeah that adds a lot of time to the whole process compared to just buffing, but can add *less* time overall because there are fewer subsequent surprises when the oils dissipate by themselves.)

Heh heh...see how, even among us, something as fundamental as "what size area to work" can bring up different opinions!?! Yeah, 6"x6" is kinda small, but that didn`t bother me the way it did Desertnate! No right/wrong IMO..but at least we`re not talking areas of operation so big they`re obviously the problem.

OH, and that back bumper...sorry, slipped my mind earlier BumperCOVERS (I`m guessing that`s what it is, and not an actual, painted bumper like on my old Tahoe) are painted )while off the vehicle, both during initial manufacture and during any post-production painting like a repaint) with paint containing a "Flex-additive". Gotta have that in the mix or it`ll end up cracking as soon as anything flexes it..and something will.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Heh heh...see how, even among us, something as fundamental as "what size area to work" can bring up different opinions!?! Yeah, 6"x6" is kinda small, but that didn`t bother me the way it did Desertnate! No right/wrong IMO..but at least we`re not talking areas of operation so big they`re obviously the problem.
    The good thing is we`re all of the same mind, but occasionally in disagreement to the approach! To be honest, the only time I do a honest 2`x2` is on a hood, roof or door where the contours of the panel allow for that much un-interrupted work space. The rest just comes down to the shape and size area being worked. I just try to keep the polisher moving so one area isn`t getting the brunt of the work for an extended period.

My only thought with a small work area, is if you`re only doing a 6"x6" square and that`s roughly the size of your polishing pad if using a 5.5" of 6.5" pad. With most basic polishers only have an 8-ish inch throw length, you essentially sitting still and just grinding away at the clear and generating heat. That was my only concern.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    The good thing is we`re all of the same mind, but occasionally in disagreement to the approach!...My only thought with a small work area, is if you`re only doing a 6"x6" square and that`s roughly the size of your polishing pad if using a 5.5" of 6.5" pad. With most basic polishers only have an 8-ish inch throw length, you essentially sitting still and just grinding away at the clear and generating heat. That was my only concern.
    That makes sense. Heh heh, it *has* been quite a while since I did significant correction on a whole panel, guess I`m getting used to the little areas I work with my 3". Plus, I knee-jerk towards "work a smaller area" whenever somebody has issues, better check myself on that and be a bit more situation-specific
    Likes Desertnate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

yeah like i said i applied the compound and polish. looks great then next day it has this white haze type look when ya look over the top of the hood.. when i am in the drivers seat it looks completely normal. it’s the outside over top you can see the white haze.. which could be the oils as you said leaking through after ? Would wax stop this at all from happening ?
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sean1740:
    Did you ever confirm if this is an after-market hood that was painted and cleat coated??
    The pictures of the blotchy and hockey rink ice-like scratch patterns seem to indicate some type of clear-coat failure, either from improper clear-coat mix that did not have the proper hardener in it AND/OR it was not cured properly, either too fast or too slow and some areas are unevenly cured, hence the ice-scratchy look. MOST clear-coat failures, from my experience, are round, blotchy areas that peel off like dry skin. GM vehicles of the 1990`s with their water-based clear coat were notorious for this type failure and the described appearance.

If it is physical scratches, you SHOULD be able to feel this with a light touch of a hand inside a thin plastic sandwich bag to "enhance" the tactile feel as you move your finger tips lightly over the painted surface.

Whatever this visual problem is with your particular paint /clear on this hood, I, as well as you would like to know what exactly it is and how to solve it. It`s one of those most unusual "detailing dilemmas" that begs for reason why it happened and how it can be corrected and resolved. Much like a medical malady that a patent has seen multiple medical doctors for, and been "treated" for, but no definitive diagnosis has been made and hence, no true medicinal regiment or treatment therapy has been prescribed for a complete cure.

I hate to say this, but the reality is I am "guessing" at the root cause of this problem and the suggestion of detailing product(s) application and methods probably will not solve or cure this problem. As a continuance of the medical comparison above, many acquired human diseases and hereditary anatomical/physiology deficiencies or problems have no known true cures at this time for them, only treatments or therapies or devices that allow the "host/patient" to live with them. Sometimes surgery or amputation is required as the last drastic step in some cases to save the patient. Your hood and its clear coat may fall into that category IF the clear-coat has some inherent physical and/or chemical defect in and the true cure is a respray of the paint and clear, as drastic as that may be.

(Ah, ANOTHER title for the verbose and loquacious (which is redundant...get the dictionary out; you`ll understand why) Captain Obvious...Doctor!)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sean1740 View Post
    yeah like i said i applied the compound and polish. looks great then next day it has this white haze type look when ya look over the top of the hood.. when i am in the drivers seat it looks completely normal. it’s the outside over top you can see the white haze..
    If it looks bad from any angle/distance/view then it`s bad. Whether/how much you really *care* is gonna be up to you. (Guess I don`t understand why its looking OK from the driver`s seat matters to you; I`d only care about the viewing perspectives that show things in their worse light, anything else would be meaningless to me..but that`s just me.)

which could be the oils as you said leaking through after ? Would wax stop this at all from happening ?
    Unstripped, Meguiar`s TSO can do weird stuff so I can`t really say what`s going on other than "it doesn`t sound good".

Wax can seal in things like the TSO but only *VERY* briefly and I wouldn`t expect that to be a solution.

Eh, while I hate to say it, I`d simply plan on having it repainted and I`d quit otherwise wasting resources (especially time) on it. Your compounding isn`t correcting much, and every indication points towards the clear being far too compromised for the sort of serious correction that could make a significant difference. (No idea why you`re *polishing* at this point with so much correction left to be done, unless you`re not planning on improving it any further.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information