Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

What the heck is this?

Five weeks ago, this Lexus was detailed including decon and light correction. Jescar Powerlock was applied (after a thorough prep wipe-down), and, per the wait time of 3-4 hours later specified by Jescar, Wolfgang Fuzion was applied by hand on top. Client says he just noticed it looking like this today.
    IMG_20200921_184927.jpg

This is how it looked after it was detailed.
    P1000278.jpgP1000280.jpgP1000273.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What the heck is this?

It appears as if the LSP was installed via machine and not removed entirely. It could have been put on very heavy and that is residual left over...
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    It appears as if the LSP was installed via machine and not removed entirely. It could have been put on very heavy and that is residual left over...
    LSP was installed by hand.

Post Thanks / Like

The marks these old eyes are seeing appear to be buffer tracks.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    X2 from not so old eyes.

Post Thanks / Like

Just returned from checking on the Lexus. It was just dust that wiped-off with a little waterless wash. As I had applied the sealant and wax by hand, that could not have been it. Furthermore the apparent "tracks" were about 7-8" wide while I use a 5" Flex XCE 10-8 125. I trust that this client did not attempt anything on his own or have anyone else detail it. He has done one of his own maintenance washes by hand that he said he finished with M37 Hydro Blue. The situation is all clear, and he remains a super satisfied client, but the mystery of this patterning on the hood does nag at me. Oh well.

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta ask yourself why the dust would settle in a pattern like that?
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Gotta ask yourself why the dust would settle in a pattern like that?
    Agree, that is to regular and repeating for nature. It perfectly marks out a buffer pattern. If it was dust, it`s sticking to something under it making the pattern.

If the LSP wasn`t applied by a machine my other thoughts are either the polish was never fully removed, or it was clayed with a claying pad on a buffer and it could be marring due to not enough lube.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

It`s almost certainly residue from one or more of the products that were used. If it "appeared later after things had previously been OK" then it was just down in the pores/micro-fissures of the paint and needed to "bloom" out to become so obvious.
    Likes wannafbody liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of the carrier solvents are probably coming up to the surface through the wax.

Post Thanks / Like

"Clayed" by hand with Nanoskin. Prepped, thoroughly, after polish with Gtechniq Panel Wipe. FWIW, Carpro Clearcut and Jescar micro finishing polish were the correction products used. To take it back farther, McKee`s 37 foam soap was used for the wash (foam cannon + buckets), and Nanoskin Glide was used as lube.

I agree with everyone regarding what it looks like. I`ve been detailing 19 years, and I`d not hesitate to say the same if I were in your shoes. Given what I know about how I performed this particular service, however, this one is puzzling me, and I was hoping someone would think of something I couldn`t. I suppose it is possible that the client hasn`t been entirely truthful about who has touched it and how since I detailed it. Oh well. I might just have to put this one in the X files for now. I`m much less distracted by it now since enjoying an awesome job working on an 84 Deville limousine after checking on that Lexus.

Post Thanks / Like

The fact that this is a black vehicle, the heat sitting in the sun from that color is making "something" come through to the waxed surface.
    I am going to venture to "guess" that the GTechniq Panel Wipe did not sufficiently remove the carrier/lube oils in the Jescar micro polish.

This happened to me when I did not use a prep wipe after using Meg`s M205 polish with its Trade-Secrete Oils and then waxing over it with Collinite 476S (AutoGlyms Hi-Definition?) wax on a black GMC truck. The wax began to "cloud and fog over" a few days later. My "cure" was to use a spray bottle and cold water mist and attempt to buff them out. Kind of like a spit-shine. It was only partially successful. Live and learn. Now I use a 91% IPA wipe after polishing with M205. Not exactly "Autopian standard" (yes, a dedicated panel wipe is much better), but it is cheap and better than nothing.
    GB detailer

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you are correct; a machine used the EDGE of the pad to do something. It is too perfectly marred to be done by hand..
    I have seen people in Body Shops using the edge of the pad to go very quickly up and down panels, because they think they are going faster = better..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

showontheroad- I hope we didn`t come across as just belaboring the obvious, not having used those products I just don`t know what to expect from them (had you said you did it with M205 I would`ve been pretty certain!). Isn`t it frustrating when weird [stuff] happens like that? And yeah...gotta think twice about what your client told ya, but eh..who knows?

Some paints just retain residues, and then they come back to cause trouble later; I bet you`re gonna be on the edge of your seat next time you do that one! I`m just glad he`s still a satisfied customer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    This happened to me when I did not use a prep wipe after using Meg`s M205 polish with its Trade-Secrete Oils ... Live and learn. Now I use a 91% IPA wipe after polishing with M205. Not exactly "Autopian standard" (yes, a dedicated panel wipe is much better), but it is cheap and better than nothing.
    Heh heh, you almost sound like *me* Re the M205! Though you`re luckier with the IPA than I am

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    showontheroad- I hope we didn`t come across as just belaboring the obvious, not having used those products I just don`t know what to expect from them (had you said you did it with M205 I would`ve been pretty certain!). Isn`t it frustrating when weird [stuff] happens like that? And yeah...gotta think twice about what your client told ya, but eh..who knows?

Some paints just retain residues, and then they come back to cause trouble later; I bet you`re gonna be on the edge of your seat next time you do that one! I`m just glad he`s still a satisfied customer.

Heh heh, you almost sound like *me* Re the M205! Though you`re luckier with the IPA than I am
    I`m not at all dissatisfied with the responses here. I deliberately held-back some information at first hoping the "Autopia think tank" might spit an idea back at me I`d not considered. It`s just as valuable to me to have my own theories echoed back at me independently. Yes, the client remains thrilled, and we`re both unconcerned about future details. If this was caused by some other secret detail or DIY attempt that he wouldn`t tell me about, hopefully a lesson was learned in the process. Even if this same phenomenon does reoccur, we both know that a simple wash or even a waterless/quick detailer wipe is all it will take. Wrapping-up, I will clarify that there is no marring--no pigtails, no trails, no holograms, etc. Once wiped clean, the paint looks as good as I left it weeks ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information