Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Lets talk about our favorite Winter Waxes

It`s that time of the year when we start preparing our cars for the winter. I usually would use 845, Klasse Twins, or the old tin of Mequiars 16 for the winter months but this year I want to test a few new products. On one car I will try Jescar Power Lock topped with 845 and on the SUV I will have Polish Angel Cosmic Spritz. I want to see how these products will hold up to the salt, slush, snow, and cold temps.

In the future I also want to test :

Soft99 Fusso Coat
    Finish Kare 1000P
    Collinite 476

What are you guys and gals using or planning on testing this winter?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets talk about our favorite Winter Waxes

If I can get around to putting it on this fall I use Fk1000p. I have had decent results with it. It certainly doesn`t last the 5-6 months until spring but then I don`t expect it to which is fine with me. It gets through the tougher portion of winter.
    Dean.
    Likes Ron Ketcham liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve done the Powerlock/845 combo. I would try to add layers of 845 as long as you can until winter hits. 4 months is about the most I`d expect, but that`s in the lovely Buffalo NY winters.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use Klasse twins with p21 or s22. Someone wrote a really great article called the perfect shine it talked about sealant then wax approach how most waxed had strong solvents that effected the sealants durability. The article talked about p21 waxes mostly made of natural ingredients bees wax, Nuba, Montan wax and oils. The wax was gentle enough to place on top of the sealant without effecting it’s durability.

I have no real evidence it worked but did put p21 wax on my sealants from that point on. I thought the person had a good point.

If I were not using a coating I’d probably do wowo crystal seal or duragloss 105 or fusso or Sonax PNS. The duragloss stuff is inexpensive
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Whenever I don’t have a coating on one of our vehicles I’ve always used FK1000p as my winter protection here in the Northeast.

Last winter if the weather was cooperating I topped it with Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer every month. Outstanding self cleaning ability. Just go to the self serve car wash and rinse with water only, would get off most of the salt and dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I quit using Collinites and M16 and and and over the durability compared to FK1000P, which I just use year-round. A few coats (not too many!) over the course of a few normally-scheduled washes, with some kind of compatible "leaves stuff behind" Drying Aid at every wash (not that I consider that to add anything significant when it comes to protection).

BUT I always gotta add the "!YMMV!" about what somebody else should try since you just never know (skibik`s results...sheesh, not even 4-5 months?!? I`d HATE to have to redo come spring! And some others have had the Collinite vs. FK comparison go the *exact other* way).

William_Wallace- Noting that I tried waxes over KSG so I`m speaking from experience, and that I can sure understand wanting to tweak the look of KSG...what benefit do you derive from doing that?
    Likes BMWWW liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I quit using Collinites and M16 and and and over the durability compared to FK1000P, which I just use year-round. A few coats (not too many!) over the course of a few normally-scheduled washes, with some kind of compatible "leaves stuff behind" Drying Aid at every wash (not that I consider that to add anything significant when it comes to protection).

BUT I always gotta add the "!YMMV!" about what somebody else should try since you just never know (skibik`s results...sheesh, not even 4-5 months?!? I`d HATE to have to redo come spring! And some others have had the Collinite vs. FK comparison go the *exact other* way).

William_Wallace- Noting that I tried waxes over KSG so I`m speaking from experience, and that I can sure understand wanting to tweak the look of KSG...what benefit do you derive from doing that?

mostly just therapeutic just wanting to detail it did give better beading for a few weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    mostly just therapeutic just wanting to detail it...
    Heh heh, you crazy Autopian you

I sometimes forget that many here do this stuff for pleasure

I can imagine the wax improving the beading though, KSG isn`t the best in that regard (I too *like* beading, though I recognize that others don`t).
    Likes William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Normally I use coatings, so seasonal LSP applications and worrying about what would get through the winter are just a memory.

When I did use sealants it was originally Klasse SG and then later Collinite 845. I was able to get 5 months with the Klasse and 845 would almost get me 7 in my climate with only one coat.

This year, since I have a bottle of it on hand, I`m going to give Wolfgang`s SiO2 Paint Sealant a try to see how it holds up. Debating between one or two coats. No particular reason to double up, but I thought I`d see what happens for the fun of it.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Normally I use coatings, so seasonal LSP applications and worrying about what would get through the winter are just a memory.

When I did use sealants it was originally Klasse SG and then later Collinite 845. I was able to get 5 months with the Klasse and 845 would almost get me 7 in my climate with only one coat.

This year, since I have a bottle of it on hand, I`m going to give Wolfgang`s SiO2 Paint Sealant a try to see how it holds up. Debating between one or two coats. No particular reason to double up, but I thought I`d see what happens for the fun of it.
    Let us know how WG SiO2 PS holds up. I recommend two coats of any sealant for even application and because I sometimes get better results, but that’s just me.
    Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator, I am not sure how drastic you weather get in Ohio(I know you get snow) but at 4-5 months I am very happy considering here in NW Mn salt is dumped whenever it snows. The salt grime sits on the vehicle up to a month in January as it makes it hard to wash a vehicle at -25F! If I manage to get a coating on my vehicle by the end of this month there isn`t much left come end of January. With this truck I don`t worry to much as I figure that is what clear coat is for anyway!
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Let us know how WG SiO2 PS holds up. I recommend two coats of any sealant for even application and because I sometimes get better results, but that’s just me.
    I sure will. My intentions are to do a thread with periodic updates similar to your latest effort...except I`ll only have to worry about one product!

Look for something to pop mid-late October. Partially due to a full weekend calendar the next few weeks and partially to ensure an assumed six months of protection will last me get me through to warmer weather.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    When I did use sealants it was originally Klasse SG and then later Collinite 845. I was able to get 5 months with the Klasse and 845 would almost get me 7 in my climate with only one coat...
    Wow, if I got that kind of durability out of *one coat* of those I never would`ve switched to the FK!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skibik View Post
    Accumulator, I am not sure how drastic you weather get in Ohio(I know you get snow) but at 4-5 months I am very happy considering here in NW Mn salt is dumped whenever it snows. The salt grime sits on the vehicle up to a month in January...
    Our conditions are simply *AWFUL* as in "can`t tell what color the vehicle is" after a few uses. And I`ll let the cleanups go if I have other things to do. IOW, between the weather and my, uhm...neglect (no excuses since I have the climate-controlled facilities )...IMO it`s an absolute torture test.

How many layers/applications of FK1000P are you generally using?
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Wow, if I got that kind of durability out of *one coat* of those I never would`ve switched to the FK!
    To clarify, at that point for both products it wasn`t a feeling of, "they might be wearing out and need to be refreshed". It was more like, "Wow, I`m glad the weather is warming up, I REALLY need to apply an LSP!". Two coats of the Klasse SG may have tipped the scales.

I did a head-to-head thread between the Klasse and 845 over at Autogeek during one winter many years ago. https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ite-845-a.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information