Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lets talk about our favorite Winter Waxes

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Our conditions are simply *AWFUL* as in "can`t tell what color the vehicle is" after a few uses. And I`ll let the cleanups go if I have other things to do. IOW, between the weather and my, uhm...neglect (no excuses since I have the climate-controlled facilities )...IMO it`s an absolute torture test.

How many layers/applications of FK1000P are you generally using?
    Last vehicle I would try to get two on a week apart or even a second coat a day apart on a nice weekend just to make sure I got it covered. With this truck I don`t feel ambitious so it will be one coat. I think last winter it didn`t have anything on it.

I would gather when you get snow it isn`t quite as cold as it gets this far north so I suppose you get all the slop to drive in every time it snows. Our slop is usually early winter when it starts, and during the occasional warm spell, and then it starts again in mid to late February until it is gone in April. Usually my vehicle gets quite crusty during those times and I don`t wash it until Friday after work and only if it is at least 20F.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m confused. All this talk about 845 wax and longevity. What about all the Sio2, ceramic and others. So “old school” lasts longer then the new kids on the block? What am I missing?

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

FK1000P
    Collinite 845/476

End of thread.

As for ceramic coatings, I think to a certain degree they`ve been hit or miss in harsh weather conditions where salt and deicers are used.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m in the northeast salt and calcium is rough. In spring time I use megs wheel Brighter on all vehicles . Those that are coated benefit the most......Winter is coming...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    I’m confused. All this talk about 845 wax and longevity. What about all the Sio2, ceramic and others. So “old school” lasts longer then the new kids on the block? What am I missing?
    I stayed away from SiO2 suggestions since the thread seemed to promote the traditional sealants/waxes. The oldies still work great and are cheaper and they last forever on the shelf.
    Likes William_Wallace liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wowo`s Crystal Sealant would be what I would suggest or recommend if not going the coating route. So much better than Powerlock etc. Use it all over the car, wheels, glass, paint, plastics. Do 2 layers, and for me it lasts a wet, salty, windy winter very easily. You can of course top it if you want with a wax, though I prefer not to. The product will last by itself. However, as I`ve been using this for a long time and am confident of its longevity I like to use a snowfoam lance applied rinse sealant at some maintenance washes to keep all the surfaces top notch. Autoglym Coat It is what I use though there are more and more coming out.

On the topic of sealants, waxes and sub coating `ceramics`, I found this interesting - https://youtu.be/bGAHI0xruwU
    Likes acuRAS82, Tc99m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Our conditions are simply *AWFUL* as in "can`t tell what color the vehicle is" after a few uses. And I`ll let the cleanups go if I have other things to do. IOW, between the weather and my, uhm...neglect (no excuses since I have the climate-controlled facilities )...IMO it`s an absolute torture test.

How many layers/applications of FK1000P are you generally using?
    70 miles a day on I90, 271, 480 & 77...the perfect LSP killer! Lets talk about our favorite Winter Waxes
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This morning I washed both of my vehicles and so far I`m not impressed with the Jescar Powerlock/845 combo. I have used them separately but after hearing all of the hype I thought I would try the combo. I will continue testing the combo and see what the results will be this winter but as of now I wouldn`t waste my time with this combo.

As for the polish Angel Cosmic Spritz.... I love it! It looks and beads exactly the same as the day I applied it. I hope it continues during the winter. I can`t believe how easy it is to use and the results are fantastic!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skibik View Post
    I would gather when you get snow it isn`t quite as cold as it gets this far north so I suppose you get all the slop to drive in every time it snows..
    Exactly! Really *cold* weather is generally a benefit to me, stuff stays a whole lot easier to clean up.

Quote Originally Posted by John U
    As wannafbody noted, we`ve kinda stuck with "waxes" (natural and synthetic, which to me means "sealants") if only because of the title of the thread (heh heh, I haven`t taken it off-topic so far!).

Old-tech stuff can still be perfectly good. E.g., FK1000P has been around *forever*, just under most people`s radar (it was under mine for decades).

Heh heh, when "sealants" first hit the market, I was disappointed that the first few I tried didn`t really do *anything* any better, or even as well, as the waxes people had been using since the `50s! I thought I was getting bad batches of the new stuff or something...

As for 845, I have some areas on some vehicles where *nothing* else I`ve ever tried will work OK. Those areas are, uhm...compromised...and probably wouldn`t get much attention from most people, but for me the 845 is a virtual necessity. And !oh man! is it just *SO* user-friendly, great on trim, pretty much foolproof stuff.

BudgetPlan1- Your commute is *VERY* similar to what ours were before we retired! Yeah, other than when I layered KSG to a, uhm...unusual extreme...I had to do a quickie rewaxing now and then to get through the winter. BUT...note I wasn`t using FK1000P then, just Collinites and M16.

Get this- for years I was using *Souveran* on dailies that did that sort of commute. Yep, even in the winter Rewaxed `em at every wash, both my VW wagon and my wife`s S4. Every. [Freakin`]. Weekend. Finally gave up and just used the Collinite/M16 on everything, even though it never looked as good.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it depends on what you`re talking about.

When you say, "ceramic". if you`re talking about a no-kidding ceramic coating like CQuartz UK, there is no contest. The coating will last far longer. Even "lite" coatings like CanCoat will last twice as long as an sealant I`ve tried. But that wasn`t focus of the thread.

If you`re talking about some of the SiO2 infused waxes, they haven`t been around that long and most people here seem to use either coatings or stick to a quality product they know and have used in the past. Honestly, I don`t think an SiO2 infused wax/sealant, will last any longer than a tradition sealant, but the SiO2 will give it characteristics which are more coating-like. It isn`t really a matter of the "new kids" not being as durable as the "old school" product, but simply the fact the durability between the two really isn`t any different. They only differ in other characteristics.

That is the whole reason I`m going to test out the Wolfgang SiO2 sealant this winter on my car. I`ve never used a product like it before, and since I have some on hand, it`s going to be tested.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I have been posting here off and on since 2002 and have been detailing cars since I was a kid during the 80`s. I have seen so many products come and go and products that have been over hyped. If I add up all of the money that I have spent on chasing the "latest and greatest" I could have bought a Porsche or a Ferrari. I have been disappointed so many times that some of us always go back to products that just work since Plenty of these new products offer no protection to bird droppings, bugs, winter road salt or other contaminants.
    There is a reason so many people that live in the snow region always go back to products like Colinite, FK1000p and Soft99 Fusso. They just work and protect.
    My neighbor has been using Soft99 Fusso and 1 coat will last 1 year on his Ford F150 that is parked outside and only washed at car washes... It`s insane. So yes many of the old school products will outlast the new products and offer better protection at a fraction of the cost.
    The one thing that I have noticed with the new products is that the prices have gone up and the shelf life has dropped.

I am trying the Polish Angel Cosmic Spritz on top of Polish Angel Primer Spritz. The claim on that combo is 12 months....So far it looks great...I hope it will last the beating that the winters here in Wisconsin can give. If it survives it will be my new go to product!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    If you`re talking about some of the SiO2 infused waxes, they haven`t been around that long and most people here seem to use either coatings or stick to a quality product they know and have used in the past. Honestly, I don`t think an SiO2 infused wax/sealant, will last any longer than a tradition sealant, but the SiO2 will give it characteristics which are more coating-like. It isn`t really a matter of the "new kids" not being as durable as the "old school" product, but simply the fact the durability between the two really isn`t any different. They only differ in other characteristics.
    I think this is a good, accurate assessment of the ‘ceramic infused’ products. They won’t particularly last longer than good traditional sealants/waxes, their main advantage is the water behavior. In northern winters I think most people aren’t washing much or expecting the car to stay very clean. So the self-cleaning may not be much advantage to some.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ll be using Cosmig or griots ceramic 3-1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fskof View Post
    I have been posting here off and on since 2002 and have been detailing cars since I was a kid during the 80`s. I have seen so many products come and go and products that have been over hyped. If I add up all of the money that I have spent on chasing the "latest and greatest" I could have bought a Porsche or a Ferrari. I have been disappointed so many times that some of us always go back to products that just work since Plenty of these new products offer no protection to bird droppings, bugs, winter road salt or other contaminants.
    There is a reason so many people that live in the snow region always go back to products like Colinite, FK1000p and Soft99 Fusso. They just work and protect.
    Fskof,

Your history reflects mine except I was a kid in late 60`s making my parents drive me to the 25 cent wash in the winter to wash their cars!

Reading the info on Colinite 845, sounds like an interesting product with it`s UV protection to try when I`m back in AZ where the sun just bakes a finish.... I do not participate in winters now so I "wax" year round. Since I`m "knee deep" in various products too, I`m thinking of using some one my "sealants" as base coats and try some 845 on top....... but I have Double Black Bead, Zaino, CMagic, Pinnacle Signature, etc, etc all begging to see a surface!!!

I guess I need to start "buffing" more of the neighbors cars! They love it when I tell`em I need to test out a new wax and their vehicle is my next victim.... I buff, they wipe.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Think of it this way. Polymers are linked chains. The chain is only as strong as it`s weakest link. Maybe a bit of an oversimplification but blended waxes tend to not last as long as cross linked polymers.
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information