Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What does everyone use to protect leather ?

John U- I love it that you and I are on the same page about discussing, let alone *asking* about, what somebody`s [something] cost!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    John U- I love it that you and I are on the same page about discussing, let alone *asking* about, what somebody`s [something] cost!
    It`s even on websites.... I got a few Rolls Royce owners twisted up on that site. Inconsiderate posters being forward about their need to know. Many are car flippers and do you expect them to tell you exactly what they paid for a car they are reselling..... dumb.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    It`s even on websites.... I got a few Rolls Royce owners twisted up on that site. Inconsiderate posters being forward about their need to know. Many are car flippers and do you expect them to tell you exactly what they paid for a car they are reselling..... dumb.
    Gee, RR owners asking about the cost of...somebody else`s anything?!? Sounds like the wrong demographic for those cars but eh...elitist ol` me
    Likes wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Gee, RR owners asking about the cost of...somebody else`s anything?!? Sounds like the wrong demographic for those cars but eh...elitist ol` me
    You can buy nice RR`s for $20K. Less if you want a "mess". Their forum consists of hands on owners who turn their own wrenches...very interesting information is found out, just like here!
    The cost of membership is made up for quickly by the complimentary tickets I get for the Scottsdale car auctions in January and Mecum in March. The monthly magazine is a very nice "read".

Post Thanks / Like

Dr. Beasley`s Leather Lock

Post Thanks / Like

John U- Heh heh, if they weren`t so problematic, I`d probably have had an older one by now..but for somebody who`s not gonna DIY much and who has zero local experts, well...nah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I’m a big fan of Kroil. It’s gotten off several stuck oil filters for me among other things. One of those near-miracle products
    I found out about this product line from Kano Laboratories, Inc. located in Nashville, TN. They had an advertisement in a trade magazine (what`s that?)"Design News" I received as a CAD Technician in Mechanical Design in the early 80`s. Used a lot of their products for my "shade tree" mechanics. Not cheap, but their fore-mentioned Kroil are one of the few penetrating oils rust-busters that actually "work" when "other" products fail. It is one of those products that every mechanic should have in their tool box, especially up here in the upper Midwest where salt corrosion rusts all external fasteners and nuts. They are invaluable for removing rusted-on lug nuts on axle studs and rims on disc brake hubs.
    They also make a very good cleaner/degreaser called Floway and its claim-to-fame is does not affect electrical devices or eat plastic.
    Another product they make is Prevox Rust Preventative and Lubricant. This is what a paper converting machine company I worked for would spray on replacement/spare parts or machines that were being shipped overseas to humid climates to prevent rust. Easy to remove with mineral spirits and did not interfere with paint or plastics integrity. Not sure if this would work in cars driven in salty winter climates.

Thanks to those, Guz in particular, who responded about using Colourlock leather-care products Not sure if this a hidden gem in leather-care and we all just need more experiences and information about this leather-care line.
    GB detailer
    Likes John U liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Would Megs leather balm be better then my current sonax conditioner ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    Would Megs leather balm be better then my current sonax conditioner ?

I haven`t used the sonax conditionr but you should be fine continuing to use it. You may want to check out the colourlock system. I have been using them for a few months and they are really nice.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes Striker liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

These actually make the leather softer ?

Post Thanks / Like

Striker- It wouldn`t surprise me if you simply have to try something on the leather in question to find out whether/not that something softens it.

While I`ve softened up stiff-as-cardboard (coated) leather with "conditioner" products, that doesn`t convince me that it`d work for *everybody*. But since it *has* worked so well for me, trying various things until you (with any luck) find something that works might be worthwhile, and I wouldn`t necessarily give up if the first [however many] don`t work.

Post Thanks / Like

You’re right. So far I have sonax and leather masters conditioner. Truth be told I’ve only used it on the golf and this is a brand new car we are talking about.

Post Thanks / Like

Leather care....the most widely overthought and incorrectly executed practice in the car care world. Keep things simple by keeping things clean. Unless you’re dealing with the hide itself, you really only should be using a mild leather safe cleaner to periodically deep clean the surface and giving it a regular damp towel wipe down to maintain its cleanliness. The biggest errors in leather care is not flushing away the residual chemicals and loosened soiling left behind on the surface after cleaning. The other is the use of a conditioner and/or oil.
    Metro Detroit`s leader in cleaning, preserving & perfecting fine automobiles!
    Likes Woob liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

David I agree! The biggest difference I have ever seen with leather care was after a light brush cleaning !

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    The biggest difference I have ever seen with leather care was after a light brush cleaning !
    Gee, you`re lucky! While I absolutely agree with David Fermani about "just keep it clean", when leather goes from stiff-as-cardboard to soft/supple it can really make ya feel like you`ve accomplished something. At least that`s one upside to buying vehicles with issues, most any improvement is pretty satisfying. Spending forever doing that stuff to the good cars that didn`t really *need* it? Eh, not so much satisfaction there...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information