Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What does everyone use to protect leather ?

The one time I felt a noticeable difference as far as leather softness was concerned was when I used a cleaner.

I use the sonax leather cleaner which suds really well and their leather brush. It came out great and super soft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by imported_OneQuickGT1 View Post
    One of my favorite ‘detainees’ is garry deans forever rinseless at qd strength. Cleans and lays down some polymer protection.
    I use my old (v2.0) ONR on some household leathers, and it works just fine. So surprise to me that the Forever Rinseless works well too!

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82
    So even though I understand the science of why conditioning (and coating?) coated leather doesn’t make much sense, I see pretty obvious, different benefits from each.
    My guess is that there are sufficiently micro-fissures, or just porosity in the coating, or something else compromising it enough that the Conditioners penetrate.

What I found weird was that the results were so nice and uniform rather than "here`s where it soaked in, there`s where it didn`t".

The way my final e36 M3, the `93 Audi, and the Tahoe all softened up...and stayed that way...sure surprised me too. Pleasantly

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    My guess is that there are sufficiently micro-fissures, or just porosity in the coating, or something else compromising it enough that the Conditioners penetrate.

What I found weird was that the results were so nice and uniform rather than "here`s where it soaked in, there`s where it didn`t".

The way my final e36 M3, the `93 Audi, and the Tahoe all softened up...and stayed that way...sure surprised me too. Pleasantly
    Thank you for making me feel less crazy. And you’re the type of person/member/OCD car guy I like to have on my side in a game of “Yes it did. No it didn’t!”

Post Thanks / Like

Well...all you members who are being so on-board with me here oughta remember that I don`t mind creases/etc. in my leathers...shoes, interiors, any of it. If somebody wants their leather to keep looking like a freshly-ironed dress shirt, then I have no idea what to do.

FWIW, I`ve never had that creasing be a problem...and some of my dress shoes have been all creased up for >30 years with no problems and *IMO* still look fine with a good spitshine. But I gather some people don`t like it...

Just thought I`d better post that....hey, my skin has some creases in it too, goes with Father Time and beats the alternative IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Thank you for making me feel less crazy...[from this]..game of “Yes it did. No it didn’t!”
    Isn`t it something how [individuals] who don`t know from the facts of a situation tell you that whatever you experienced first-hand didn`t really happen?!? I get that all the [freakin`] time on all sorts of subjects

"Fine, don`t believe me. Discount everything I say as you obviously don`t grant me credibility. Have a nice life, you no longer exist to me. Just stay away from my [stuff]."

Post Thanks / Like

Well...all you members who are being so on-board with me here oughta remember that I don`t mind creases/etc. in my leathers...shoes, interiors, any of it. If somebody wants their leather to keep looking like a freshly-ironed dress shirt, then I have no idea what to do.

FWIW, I`ve never had that creasing be a problem...and some of my dress shoes have been all creased up for >30 years with no problems and *IMO* still look fine with a good spitshine. But I gather some people don`t like it...

Just thought I`d better post that....hey, my skin has some creases in it too, goes with Father Time and beats the alternative IMO.
    Coincidentally, creases don’t bother me much either. And if I knew how to prevent them easily I suppose I would, but I don’t know an easy way and have never looked into it. Because they aren’t a big deal in my eyes. Kind of like experience marks.

Post Thanks / Like

I`v used Griots 3in1 Leather on my personal vehicles. Cleans the seats good but they are usually not that dirty. I do like the smell of it, a leather type smell but the smell only last a couple of days. Doesn`t get on to the sitters ( a real word ??) clothes and doesn`t make the seat slippery.
    Likes Rsurfer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator, I`m all kinds of on board with still wearing 30 year old shoes - largely because I avoid places/situations where I need them like the plague...or pandemic. I still enjoy spitshining also. Tried it once on the car and nearly died but I did gain a new appreciation for Dos Equi. A damp mf has always worked well for me, along with the infrequent conditioner.

Post Thanks / Like

acuRAS82- Every time I tried like crazy to prevent the creases in my footwear, they happened anyhow..eventually. I agree with you, just the nature of things.

E-Jag- Well, I won`t say that I *enjoy* spit-shining (anything ) but since the local Shine Parlor closed down I can`t rely on Willie to do it for me. That guy was sooo good, really something how every time his work simply wowed me. He really *worked* for that $, earned it in every conceivable way.

Heh heh, no avoiding that kind of footwear for Yours Truly, 99% of the time I`m wearing something like that, never leave the property in athletic shoes/etc. although I do have a few pairs of casual ones that I don`t try to get like mirrors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I will "steal" (more correctly hi-jack. What else is new, Captain Obvious!...) this thread and ask if anyone has used any of the leather-care products form Colourlock recently offered by Detailed Image? Just curious... seems like English-made products that mirror Leather Masters.
    I`ve used the Colourlock Mild kit on my truck and wife`s car. My truck was brand new, wife`s was about a year old when I used them. The cleaner is pretty good. I was surprised how much came out of her steering wheel. The Leather shield goes on pretty easy and seems to hold up. I think I`ll have to do another treatment in the next month or so. The brush they have is great. I`d recommend that kit.
    Matt from Obsessed did a video with the Colourlock guys. It`s really informative and really goes into detail on types of leather, materials in your car, and care and treatment.
    Likes Lonnie, FunctionalDoc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A few weekends ago I coated the interior of our Ford Fusion was it’s the Adam’s interior coating kit. It was very easy to works with and really restored the deep rich color of our dark interior

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
    I`d love to know just how chemical resistant LeatherShield really is. In my experience there wasn`t a trace of it left after cleaning with a different brand leather cleaner. (Gyeon`s are meh).
    I enjoyed using it and it held up close to a year.

It does hold up to their leather cleaner without any issues. Gyeon even gives the option to use their leather coat as part of their maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Guilty What does everyone use to protect leather ?

Perhaps worth noting that when we picked up wife`s car after having PPF and coatings done I mentioned grabbing some Leather Shield for interior/seats. They said not to bother but rather to just give it an occasional hit with Sonax Leather Foam.
    The concept has always been clean and protect. The confusing part for people is the term leather conditioner as it is a broad term. No need for all that mink oil or lanolin on modern leather.

Leather coatings can be fun but then again I’m not eating or drinking in my car to really need one.

Quote Originally Posted by Britsdaddy View Post
    I`ve used the Colourlock Mild kit on my truck and wife`s car. My truck was brand new, wife`s was about a year old when I used them. The cleaner is pretty good. I was surprised how much came out of her steering wheel. The Leather shield goes on pretty easy and seems to hold up. I think I`ll have to do another treatment in the next month or so. The brush they have is great. I`d recommend that kit.
    Matt from Obsessed did a video with the Colourlock guys. It`s really informative and really goes into detail on types of leather, materials in your car, and care and treatment.
    I just got done using the colourlock system myself on both of mine.

It is a bit of extra work for those older leathers as colourlock recommends protector on leathers older than 3 years and then waiting 24 hours to apply leather shield.

The end result seems nice. Will see how it holds on the daily driver.

Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Lonnie liked this post

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, finally I found someone ( The Guz ) using ColourLock! Use it on my Mini Cooper leather seats. As far as I can say that it holds up pretty well with this heat in Florida.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!
    Likes The Guz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Used sonax leather cleaner and conditioner. Not sure if I could tell a difference. But the car is brand new so maybe I’m not a good measuring stick.

Post Thanks / Like

I use my old (v2.0) ONR on some household leathers, and it works just fine. So surprise to me that the Forever Rinseless works well too!

I`ve been think of getting a e46 M3, how do you like yours?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information