Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

What does everyone use to protect leather ?

Haven’t had a car with leather in forever. What’s a good leather treatment for brand new cars or is it just a matter of keeping them clean so the clear coat on them doesn’t disintegrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What does everyone use to protect leather ?

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/blac...-complete.html

I use BLACKFIRE LEATHER COMPLETE. 1-step and done. Been using it since the truck was new. No complaints. Great product.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes panapower liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

To a certain extent it depends on whether it`s coated or non-coated leather. Products with Mink Oil soften leather. Mothers makes good OTC leather products that work well for coated leather. Zaino makes a nice cleaner that isn`t greasy.

Post Thanks / Like

Most if not all auto leathers are coated. I was told just to keep them clean and that’s it. I have the sonax leather cleaner. Seems to work good.

Likes DAC17 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Connolly leather cleaner. Most good quality leather cleaners for Autopia will be fine. I’m going to apply Gyeon leather shield. I’ve used Pinnacle Black Label Leather & Vinyl coating on rest of interior and it’s an amazing product. Apply once every 3 months.

Maintain with an Interior quick detailer. Meguiar’s is an excellent OTC product. I’ve recently switch to Adams and P&S interior cleaners.

Adams is a kinda all in one and like that it has Microban in it. For the price tho the P&S is probable best overall value

Post Thanks / Like

Been using Griots Garage Leather 3-in-1 Spray for years. Simple enough to use and the leather always looks great.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Striker View Post
    Most if not all auto leathers are coated. I was told just to keep them clean and that’s it. I have the sonax leather cleaner. Seems to work good.

Some of the high end cars use real non-coated leather. Ford King Ranch is real non-coated leather as well. That being said, coated leathers tend to hold up better long term for most users. Non-coated leathers are a bit more work to keep looking good.

I have 20 year old coated leather(maybe I should call it cardboard) in my car and most of it looks pretty good. Just one spot where the leather dried and cracked.

Post Thanks / Like

I used Gyeon Leather Shield on a new car in June 2017 and it did very well considering the abuse that car got. Started using Sonax Leather Foam on seats last year, more frequent applications than the Leather Shield and it did very well, easy to use.

Recently picked up the Polish Angel duo; spray for occasional cleaning, lotion for a "mini-Leatherique" treatment yearly or so. It`s nice:

What does everyone use to protect leather ?-paleather.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I`d love to know just how chemical resistant LeatherShield really is. In my experience there wasn`t a trace of it left after cleaning with a different brand leather cleaner. (Gyeon`s are meh).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atbalfour View Post
    I`d love to know just how chemical resistant LeatherShield really is. In my experience there wasn`t a trace of it left after cleaning with a different brand leather cleaner. (Gyeon`s are meh).
    I`d guess at least somewhat resistant. I had it on my daily driver, about 58k miles before I used the PA stuff last month. I work at a pool service company and on frequent occasion i have fresh liquid chlorine (12.5% Bleach, essentially) stains on my clothes, residual granular chlorine, BiCarb, dry acid...you name it and I`ve probably carried into my car at some point and exposed the leather seats to it. Nothing scientific but it`s held up to my grimy self for quite a while now. Testament to Gyeon Leather Shield or the innate ruggedness oh Honda Leather interiors, I dunno.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Most of my vehicles over the last few decades have had leather interiors, including most dailies and dog-haulers. 99.99999% of the time I just use an Interior QD.

On the *very* rare occasions that I actually use a Protectant I usually go with either LeatherMasters Protection Cream or stuff from The Leather Doctor.

Yeah..many would say that I neglect..or even abuse..my leather, but I`ve had leather interiors for a good 40 years and in that time only *ONE* sport seat bolster, on my wife`s high-mile daily, ever needed redone. Even the "that`s trashed, you gotta have it replaced..." leather in my current beaters has held up perfectly fine since I cleaned it up, conditioned it (yeah...coated leather that I did condition. Although [individuals] say it doesn`t work...it sure did for me ), and then kept it clean with the IQD.

IME auto leather is tough stuff and doesn`t need much attention as long as you don`t do something truly damaging (which would include leaving it dirty for long).
    Likes imported_OneQuickGT1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Most of my vehicles over the last few decades have had leather interiors, including most dailies and dog-haulers. 99.99999% of the time I just use an Interior QD.

On the *very* rare occasions that I actually use a Protectant I usually go with either LeatherMasters Protection Cream or stuff from The Leather Doctor.

Yeah..many would say that I neglect..or even abuse..my leather, but I`ve had leather interiors for a good 40 years and in that time only *ONE* sport seat bolster, on my wife`s high-mile daily, ever needed redone. Even the "that`s trashed, you gotta have it replaced..." leather in my current beaters has held up perfectly fine since I cleaned it up, conditioned it (yeah...coated leather that I did condition. Although [individuals] say it doesn`t work...it sure did for me ), and then kept it clean with the IQD.

IME auto leather is tough stuff and doesn`t need much attention as long as you don`t do something truly damaging (which would include leaving it dirty for long).

as always, great insight and most importantly, experience. I’ve shifted to keeping it clean. Some of the products like ultima sealant are nice, but it is some work. One of my favorite ‘detainees’ is garry deans forever rinseless at qd strength. Cleans and lays down some polymer protection.
    2021 VW GLI Autobahn

Pure Gray/Black

Protected by 303 Graphene

Post Thanks / Like

What does everyone use to protect leather ?

I hear the consensus that conditioners are pointless on vehicle coated leather as well. But, particularly on the Q5 leather which is on the softer side, it certainly makes the leather feel nicer and look more supple for weeks at least. Not to mention most conditioners smell very nice. So I continue to apply it. I don’t know what it does for protecting or whether it is necessary, but I swear the seats look and feel great after use.

And with the leather coatings (Mckees, PBL) they leave a nice slick surface (not greasy slick) and a little shine. Things such as four year old children’s snacks wipe off a lot easier with the coating, which is very easy to notice.

So even though I understand the science of why conditioning (and coating?) coated leather doesn’t make much sense, I see pretty obvious, different benefits from each.

Post Thanks / Like

Guilty What does everyone use to protect leather ?

Perhaps worth noting that when we picked up wife`s car after having PPF and coatings done I mentioned grabbing some Leather Shield for interior/seats. They said not to bother but rather to just give it an occasional hit with Sonax Leather Foam.

Post Thanks / Like

I will "steal" (more correctly hi-jack. What else is new, Captain Obvious!...) this thread and ask if anyone has used any of the leather-care products form Colourlock recently offered by Detailed Image? Just curious... seems like English-made products that mirror Leather Masters.

More forum thread info on leather care, please see:
    Most Effective Leather Reconditioner
    See post #54 from Stokdgs about Spinnybeck Leather Care products!!!!
    GB detailer

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information