Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What does everyone use to protect leather ?

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    A Indy around here runs $150 a hr. It`s not uncommon to have Indy service visit with a $650-$850 plus on a visit....if not more....
    I was at my local Firestone for my 16th or so "Lifetime Alignment on a vehicle. The tech could not loosen the steering rod jam nuts. Had the torch on them etc. So they want $140 hr ($770 labor) to install two new inner tie rods.... 5.5 hrs according to the "book".

I took it home and within an hour had the two nuts "loosey goosey".

I was back this morning to get the job finished with $1,000 still in my wallet.
    Likes Stokdgs, wannafbody liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Off topic, but without getting into much specifics. I`m curious what the average cost is on a dealership visit. I can only imagine...

Case in point. Relative had you typical wire bitten from rodents - in this case, the tree rats...
    I suppose a Indy could have found the fault and spliced it.
    Said dealer repair was a wire harness replacement to the tune of $1500+ if I recall
    Hey, mobiledynamics ! Hope you guys are all good !
    Wow - that wire harness replacement price sucks !!! Did the dang animal chew through the entire harness? Wow !

Lucky for me, I know how to solder really good..
    Long time ago, worked a couple years for a Computer Mainframe Manufacturer who had a sweet contract with Aramco..
    Already knew how to solder, and got to learn how to do it to mil-spec+ levels; even tiny wire jumpers on 3-layer circuit boards..
    Dan F

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    I was at my local Firestone for my 16th or so "Lifetime Alignment on a vehicle. The tech could not loosen the steering rod jam nuts. Had the torch on them etc. So they want $140 hr ($770 labor) to install two new inner tie rods.... 5.5 hrs according to the "book".

I took it home and within an hour had the two nuts "loosey goosey".

I was back this morning to get the job finished with $1,000 still in my wallet.
    John U -
    I am so glad you were able to do this!
    What did you do differently that the people could not figure out ? Spray the heck out of the jam nuts, and put a long pipe on the tool to give you more leverage ?Heavier Duty Air Impact ?
    Yeah, that Motors Manual Flat Rate Book from Hell...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    John U -
    I am so glad you were able to do this!
    What did you do differently that the people could not figure out ? Spray the heck out of the jam nuts, and put a long pipe on the tool to give you more leverage ?Heavier Duty Air Impact ?
    Yeah, that Motors Manual Flat Rate Book from Hell...
    Dan F
    Adjustable wrench, Kroil (penetrating oil), big hammer and vice grips.

If that did not work I would have ordered the two inner tire rods from Rockauto for $50 and rented the install tool from O`rielly`s for free.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’m a big fan of Kroil. It’s gotten off several stuck oil filters for me among other things. One of those near-miracle products
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I’m a big fan of Kroil. It’s gotten off several stuck oil filters for me among other things. One of those near-miracle products
    The worst smelling stuff but you get used to it and it then smells like success when removing screws. It tests as needing the least amount of torque needed to release a fastener vs other liquids. It has transmission oil as an ingredient.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, never knew transmission oil is an ingredient. All I know is it`s good stuff!

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Kroil would be a good leather softener. Anyone up for trying that out? LOL

Post Thanks / Like

On an old leather seat from the junkyard!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, never knew transmission oil is an ingredient. All I know is it`s good stuff!
    I pulled the MSDS sheet on it and a couple of the part numbers in Dextron are in Kroil. Many people do use trans oil for a penetrating oil.

http://www.kanolabs.com/SDS/AEROKROIL%2007-01-20.pdf

http://msds.rowleys.com/sp460613.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

It’s marvelous mystery oil that really works is all I know
    Likes wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Off topic, but without getting into much specifics. I`m curious what the average cost is on a dealership visit. I can only imagine...Case in point. Relative had you typical wire bitten from rodents ..Said dealer repair was a wire harness replacement to the tune of $1500+ if I recall
    Heh heh, the one time we had rodent damage to an Audi it was thousands, and not just two or three. But that was ages ago...usually it`s not expensive enough to lodge in my memory for long. Fixing the A8`s A/C last week was only $260.

Leaving aside that we don`t *want* anything different, every time I ran the numbers it cost more to lease something in the same category as what we have. Fixing the A8 costs less than what our friends pay to lease cars that seem like cheap little POS by comparison.

I get loaners for the Audis, but not the Tahoe (no biggie, right down the street) or the Crown Vic (quite a ways away, was hard to find the right dealer, none would work on the previous car with its mods) Eh, I can do a lot of stuff on the Tahoe/Crown Vic myself easily enough anyhow, but not those Audis!

I just can`t picture if one is not able to wrench themselves, and to own one past warranty.
    Eh, for somebody like my wife, for that matter, for *ME*, it`s the only way to go. She *loves* her cars and won`t hear of replacing them unless/until something renders them utterly unserviceable (e.g., major wrecks, invariably caused by others, or issues getting parts) and there are no independent service facilities she can rely on for nation-wide service. If any vehicle breaks down anywhere, she`s gotta have a hassle-free, guaranteed way to fix it right away with a cell phone and VISA card and that means "dealerships".

I have been leasing for a smidge over the last decade. Stopped doing purchasing quite some time ago. Cars are always under warranty. Have a loaner if it needs servicing. Accountant writes off X.
    As long as you like today`s vehicles, and can write it off as an expense, I certainly think it makes a lot of sense! Same with people like our friends who simply don`t care about anything automotive except having reliable transportation they don`t have to think about (and can afford to lease). Different people, different "best approaches"

But I`ve *never* seen anybody make the $ numbers work out in favor of leasing compared to just buying (preferably for cash) and keeping. Maybe that "for cash" thing is the deal-breaker, I won`t borrow $ for a vehicle and nice cars cost as much as my first house! I thought the S8 was pricey, but *pickup trucks* cost that much now!

Post Thanks / Like

It is indeed crazy how much trucks cost today. My neighbors have three of them including a `65 Ford.

Post Thanks / Like

It is indeed crazy how much trucks cost today.
    People ask what my C7 Corvette cost (what happened to manners?) my reply, "cheaper then a loaded Ford pickup".... and it was!
    Likes wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow,thats so crazy! Around here these giant pick up trucks are status symbols and I guess for what they cost, they should be.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information