Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know what this is? It`s really causing some major damage to my paint

Anyone else seen anything like this before? At first I thought this was artillery fungus, but after doing some further research, I don`t think that`s it anymore.

The little yellow lines in the photo below are actually lint from my MF towels which grab unto the things contaminating my paint. I tried using a red nano-skin and that didn`t do much. I think the dots have etched into my paint so I tried using V32 with an RO buffer. It made the paint feel smooth and really shiny, but the etchings are still there. If this was just a one time thing, I might not mind so much, but whenever I wash my car, I notice new ones that keep hitting my car on chrome parts and the windshield. They wipe off relatively easy from those parts, but I guess the one that hit my paint and neglected have really done some damage. Will the next step simply be to try a rotary with the V32?

I can only suspect it`s some kind of pollen from a nearby tree. I don`t get any of these on my trunk because our cars face in the direction the wind generally blows.

20200809_194121.jpg

It`s much more visible on my daugher`s white car. Also, you can more clearly see the way it is shaped... almost like a tiny little ring. A quick glance might lead one to believe it to be brake/rail dust contamination, but I assure you, that is not what this is.

20200809_194218.jpg

I have done some research online. There was one person who was having a similar issue, but no one knew what was causing this... https://ask.extension.org/questions/211526

Any help would sure be appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone know what this is? It`s really causing some major damage to my paint

Post Thanks / Like

Intermezzo- I wouldn`t try using a more aggressive abrasive approach (i.e., the rotary) unless/until you`re certain that will solve the problem, and I mean solve it once and for all. No point in cutting off a lot of clear only to have the same issue again later.

Regulars here know my broken-record response to Qs like this one: I would do a thorough inspection *with magnficiation* to try to figure out what`s going on, then I`d do a chemical decontamination with something like ValuGard`s ABC. THEN I`d evaluate what, if anything, still oughta be done.
    Likes Bobh591, wannafbody, mc2hill, Intermezzo liked this post
    Thanks Intermezzo thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Intermezzo- I wouldn`t try using a more aggressive abrasive approach (i.e., the rotary) unless/until you`re certain that will solve the problem, and I mean solve it once and for all. No point in cutting off a lot of clear only to have the same issue again later.

Regulars here know my broken-record response to Qs like this one: I would do a thorough inspection *with magnficiation* to try to figure out what`s going on, then I`d do a chemical decontamination with something like ValuGard`s ABC. THEN I`d evaluate what, if anything, still oughta be done.
    Thanks Accumulator. BTW, I`m so impressed that you`re still so active here on Autopia....going on 20 years soon!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Intermezzo View Post
    Thanks Accumulator. BTW, I`m so impressed that you`re still so active here on Autopia....going on 20 years soon!
    Heh heh, yeah...I can`t believe it`s been so long. Time really does fly for me these days...

BTW, when it comes to those magnified inspections, I prefer a 15X rather than the more commonly recommended ~30x/etc. I use my 15X all the time, but haven`t touched that 30x since forever.

Thread Information