Post Thanks / Like

how to remove wax

hi, got a new car. Clayed, polished and waxed just the front and someone gave me some simonize glasscoat. I want to use it but I need to remove the wax I just put on. How can I remove it? Thank you for any info

Post Thanks / Like

Re: how to remove wax

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    hi, got a new car. Clayed, polished and waxed just the front and someone gave me some simonize glasscoat. I want to use it but I need to remove the wax I just put on. How can I remove it? Thank you for any info
    Re-polish the front where the wax was put on. After polishing, it should feel squeaky clean and no longer slick (feel the wax before polishing to get an idea what the paint should no longer feel like).

Which polish do you have on hand?

Post Thanks / Like

I have maguires.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bassman View Post
    I have maguires.
    Ultimate Polish? M205? Either way, whatever you have should do.

Post Thanks / Like

I`d remove it chemically so as to *not* subject the paint to any unnecessary abrasion, but I guess that`s easy for me to say since I have the chemicals.

bassman- Got a can of Mineral Spirits on hand? That`s what Ron Ketcham would say to reach for.
    Likes wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

OR go to a bodyshop/ paint supply store and get some Kleen-Strip Prep-Sol.

It would be highly advantageous for you do some type of panel prep before you apply this coating. I do not think iso-propyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol or IPA, as its acronym is seen here in this forum) is going to cut through the recently applied wax. A panel prep will also remove the Trade-Secret Oils (TSOs) used in Meguiar`s polishes as a lubricant and emollient for its abrasives that are left behind after polishing and may not be compatible and cause "blotching" with the coating you are applying,

I was under the impression that Simoniz Glasscoat was only available to car dealers as an add-on service, but like anything, I assume it can be purchased over the internet on E-bay or Amazon.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    OR go to a body paint supply store and get some Kleen-Strip Prep-Sol.

It would be highly advantageous for you do some type of panel prep before you apply this coating...
    Yeah.

I do not think iso-propyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol or IPA, as its acronym is seen here in this forum) is going to cut through the recently applied wax...
    When a certain RW messed with my Collinite, people suggested that IPA would *revive* the wax and solve the problem, not strip it as many would expect. Another Autopian challenged me to drop a piece of pastewax into a jar of IPA, insisted that it`d just sit there/stay OK, that the IPA wouldn`t dissolve it or otherwise be detrimental (I never tried that).

A panel prep will also remove the Trade-Secret Oils (TSOs) used in Meguiar`s polishes as a lubricant and emollient for its abrasives that are left behind after polishing and may not be compatible and cause "blotching" with the coating you are applying..
    Sounds like more good reasons to go with a dedicated product, but of course I`d say that since it`s what I`d do

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to suggest GG paint prep I think it is called but I see it is not available anymore. I see now they have this https://www.autopia-carcare.com/grio...face-prep.html and not sure how good this is. The prep was used after the wash with the vehicle still wet and it seemed to deep clean the paint and stripped anything that was on the paint.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the Prep-All. I can’t say whether it removes fresh wax completely, but it feels great while wiping (like slippery mineral spirits) and definitely will clean up any oils..
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking for a good product for this purpose a couple months ago and settled on McKees 37 coating prep polish. Non-abrasive but seems to do a good job of stripping waxes and oils to leave a squeaky clean surface. Sometimes I follow up with some GTechniq Panel Wipe.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Mothers makes CMX Ceramic cleaner that I saw at OReilley for about $15

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SF Space Grey View Post
    I was looking for a good product for this purpose a couple months ago and settled on McKees 37 coating prep polish. Non-abrasive but seems to do a good job of stripping waxes and oils to leave a squeaky clean surface. Sometimes I follow up with some GTechniq Panel Wipe.
    I do like Mckees Prep Polish. Solid and good price. It may not remove newer, strong LSPs (and not designed to remove coatings) by itself though, but should remove any traditional wax. Not sure which wax you used though.

Post Thanks / Like

Late to the party, but absolute sure method to chemically strip an LSP is a 3 part system
    Acid, Alkaline, then solvent..

Reason being is every LSP has different chemical resistance.. I`ve tested some where only acid will strip..and tested some where only solvent would strip etc

Thread Information