Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Time to upgrade my polisher. Advice needed.

I`m in the midst of doing a job for my neighbor and finding I may not have been as well equipped for the work as I thought.

First lesson: I may need to learn how to use MF cutting pads. My orange LC pads aren`t cutting it, but that`s a different story for another time....

The real discussion is about my polisher. My 9 year old Harbor Freight polisher seems to be really struggling with more difficult work. I`m running it at full speed all the time right now and can`t help but wonder if a more powerful polisher would make the work easier. Better ergonomics alone would be a bonus.

Since I am still a hobbyist at heart who only does a few cars a year, I`m looking at the G9. Is that enough of an upgrade of should I look at another step up to something like the G15? I really don`t want to spend Flex or Rupes money at this point.

The upside of the G9 would be using my current inventory of LC pads with the 5" backing plate whereas I don`t even know which size type of pads I`d be looking at with the G15.

Thanks for any advice.

On a parting note I find it interesting the G15 is substantially cheaper at Griots direct vs Autopia right now. Autogeek must be sold out as it doesn`t appear there.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time to upgrade my polisher. Advice needed.

I can`t speak for the G9, but I do have one of the the G8s......really like it. Ergonomics alone would be enough of un upgrade. Couple that with more power and a lifetime warranty....and I think your decision is an easy one. For the amount you`re using your DA, I don`t really see the need for a long throw.

Post Thanks / Like

In which way is your current polisher struggling?

If you feel you are at the limits of an 8mm throw free spinning tool I don`t see how a G9 is going to help you (even with the improved ergonomics). You`d be buying basically the same thing. I`d look to augment what you currently have.

Once you get into long throw machines you`ll likely find you`ll need something smaller (say 3" machine) for real curvy panels too. You could probably just get a 3" plate for your HF assuming the tool isn`t dieing.

The Flex 3401, XCE, or even the Mille just power through anything being forced rotation. Too bad there isn`t a detailing buy/sell forum. I know I`d sell more stuff if there was an easier way to connect in the detailing community. A used 3401 would be in your budget and that tool would last you a long time. Likely many sitting in garages that people would sell if there was an easier way to connect with potential buyers.

Don`t discount Maxshine polishers. The latest M15 Pro Series II seems to be a solid machine for a decent price. Even the original M15 can be had for a decent price (perhaps being closed out). I`d also consider the newer G15 (once they are available) from Griot`s. Seems you are looking at those (or the older model) already. The new model is less expensive than the older model.

As for pads I would run 5" plates on all these free spinning polishers. I like the Buff and Shine Uro-Tec pads. The yellow is great for finish polish. They have a new dark blue pad for heavy polishing / 1-steps. I have them on order. For cutting you can go either microfiber or the newer wool pads. Lake Country, Buff and Shine, Rupes all have wool and fiber pads. Griot`s has good performing pads, but I hear longevity may be a concern. I only have their microfiber pads and they worked very well when I used them.

To summarize: If I owned a functional HF I would not buy another ~8mm free spinning machine. I`d get something to add to my toolbox.

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- IMO it doesn`t really matter whether you`re "just a hobbyist" or not, I`d get the G15. I`m utterly certain that it`s worth spending a little more for something that`s capable of saving you time and frustration (what you have now not cutting it..) and I`ve never heard of anybody complaining that their polisher "is too smooth and powerful, it`s too user-friendly and gets the work done too fast since it doesn`t ever bog down".

BTW, nice steep learning curve with MF Cutting pads, you`ll be dialed-in in *NO* time, or at least I was. IMO, between a G15 and some MF pads you`ll feel like your expertise tripled overnight.
    Likes felixthecat, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

G15 with a 5” backing plate and you can use your current pads. Turn your harbor freifht into a 3” and you’ll be set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes felixthecat, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Desertnate- IMO it doesn`t really matter whether you`re "just a hobbyist" or not, I`d get the G15. I`m utterly certain that it`s worth spending a little more for something that`s capable of saving you time and frustration (what you have now not cutting it..) and I`ve never heard of anybody complaining that their polisher "is too smooth and powerful, it`s too user-friendly and gets the work done too fast since it doesn`t ever bog down".

BTW, nice steep learning curve with MF Cutting pads, you`ll be dialed-in in *NO* time, or at least I was. IMO, between a G15 and some MF pads you`ll feel like your expertise tripled overnight.
    [QUOTE=Coatings=crack;2175096]G15 with a 5” backing plate and you can use your current pads. Turn your harbor freifht into a 3” and you’ll be set

I concur^^^^ Go w/ the G15, very smooth & great ergonomics......Griots 5.5`` m/f pads work awesome & I use them w/ Wolfgang`s uber compound...
    Likes Coatings=crack, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    On a parting note I find it interesting the G15 is substantially cheaper at Griots direct vs Autopia right now. Autogeek must be sold out as it doesn`t appear there.
    I`ve also been looking at these polishers. Griot`s has redesigned the G15 (and G21) to incorporate some of the features of the G9, at a lower cost, and it won`t be available until later this month. The pricing on the Griot`s site is for the new model, and the one shown on Autopia is the original BOSS version.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi I would suggest you get a shurhold 21mm. Not as smooth as rupes but it more powerful. Shurhold is a boat polishing company this machine is made to run large 6 inch Wool pads with ease I converted to 5 inch backing plate and I have tried to bog it down and stop rotation but cannot it relatively cheap compared to rupes and well made, powerful but quiet. U can find them used for cheap or just buy new

Post Thanks / Like

For more info on the redesigned Griots Garage G15 & G21 please see this recent thread:
    Redesigned G21 and G15 Polishers

For more info on Griots Garage new G9 polisher, please see highly-respected Autopian All-Star (my opinion) Mike Lambert`s review thread:
    https://www.autopia.org/forums/machi...highlight=BOSS

Here`s a thread asking the same question you are, "What polisher should I get?":

Seems, though, you need to ask yourself IF you need to go the cordless route (IE, rechargeable battery-pack) with polishers. It is a new way of polishing and many detailers like not having a cord to deal with. The downside is the run time and the initial cost of such a machine. Flex makes some highly respected (and priced) cordless polishers.
    GB detailer
    Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, everyone for your comments and advice. This has been very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    For more info on the redesigned Griots Garage G15 & G21 please see this recent thread:
    Redesigned G21 and G15 Polishers

For more info on Griots Garage new G9 polisher, please see highly-respected Autopian All-Star (my opinion) Mike Lambert`s review thread:

Here`s a thread asking the same question you are, "What polisher should I get?":

Seems, though, you need to ask yourself IF you need to go the cordless route (IE, rechargeable battery-pack) with polishers. It is a new way of polishing and many detailers like not having a cord to deal with. The downside is the run time and the initial cost of such a machine. Flex makes some highly respected (and priced) cordless polishers.
    A couple of those threads I remember, at least one was new and thank you for providing them.

At this point, I really don`t need anything battery operated and don`t want to spend that kind of money again.

If the G9 really has as much power as described in the review, that may be the best bet for me. All of my vehicles and even the neighbors vehicle that started me down this road, have very few area which are large and flat where I could take advantage of the G15. The trunks, hoods, fenders/quarter panels, and even rear hatches/trunks are highly contoured. Even parts of the doors have shapes and only the lower areas are close to being flat. For large portions of the vehicles, I`d be going back to a short through polisher anyway.

With all of those considerations in mind, I think I`ll go with the G9 and a 5" backing plate. The additional power and ergonomics will be a huge boost to my work and adding MF pads along with different polishing products will certainly help with being able to work on stubborn paint like I recently encountered. My trusty HF polisher will live on with a 3" backing plate. It`s crude, but still runs just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- Since you`ve made your decision I oughta just keep quiet, but I don`t get the reasoning behind *not* buying the G15, unless it`s a matter of cost.

When I called Griot`s to ask about trading in my (new) BOSS15 on a G9, the rep acted like that would be an unfathomably dumb thing to do, saw zero reason to "downgrade" as he put it.

While the 15 might be a "long stroke", IMO it`s not something like a 21 where that could actually be an issue at times compared to the stroke of the G9.
    Likes dwaleke liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Desertnate- Since you`ve made your decision I oughta just keep quiet, but I don`t get the reasoning behind *not* buying the G15, unless it`s a matter of cost.

When I called Griot`s to ask about trading in my (new) BOSS15 on a G9, the rep acted like that would be an unfathomably dumb thing to do, saw zero reason to "downgrade" as he put it.

While the 15 might be a "long stroke", IMO it`s not something like a 21 where that could actually be an issue at times compared to the stroke of the G9.
    My decision is not set in stone and I really appreciate your advice and value what you provide. I`m glad you don`t keep quiet.

When using your current G15, you don`t have issues with the longer throw on sculpted/contoured panels? While 7mm in travel increase isn`t that much, it is double what I believe I currently have. My only concern was the extra through length would actually make my life harder in most cases rather than better. I don`t own, or typically work on large SUV`s or trucks with their acres of flat sheet metal.

All options are still on the table, so I appreciate the continued discussion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    My decision is not set in stone and I really appreciate your advice and value what you provide. I`m glad you don`t keep quiet.

When using your current G15, you don`t have issues with the longer throw on sculpted/contoured panels? While 7mm in travel increase isn`t that much, it is double what I believe I currently have. My only concern was the extra through length would actually make my life harder in most cases rather than better. I don`t own, or typically work on large SUV`s or trucks with their acres of flat sheet metal.

All options are still on the table, so I appreciate the continued discussion.
    Heh heh, True Confession time: I haven`t used my BOSS15. But I`m *utterly* confident it won`t be an issue, would have zero reservations of ditching my GG6 and relying on that. With a small plate/pad on your HF I`d be confident of having the bases covered.

If you lived next door I`d just lend you my BOSS15 and say "here, prove it to yourself..I`m confident I`m right" and we`d find out for sure!

NOW...factor in that I`m offering unsupported-by-experience advice and discount same accordingly. I just don`t want you to be back revisiting this after using the G9 for a while and wishing it got stuff done faster.

And FWIW, I was kinda surprised how adamantly the GG rep argued against my concerns about the BOSS15. I mentioned every conceivable concern, including that "too long for some things" stroke, and he clearly thought I was off my nut. He did indeed offer to do the trade, with a nice $ back given the diff in prices, but thought I`d be crazy to do that.

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- Ya know...I read on here how some think the GG6 is All That, that it does correction just fine, and I think of those comments when we discuss the G9.

That has not been my experience with my GG6, not at all. While it sure does outperform my PCs, it`s nowhere *near* powerful enough for me to do significant correction with it (other than spot-correction with a small plate/pad). I`d hate for you end up thinking the same thing and finding yourself with a nice unit for (only) Final Polishing/LSPing.
    Likes dwaleke liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate - I`ll chime in with my thoughts on the G9, specifically since you mention contours and pad rotation.

I did a full correction on my wife`s Q5, and was quite happy with the G9 experience (sold my GG6 to my coworker to fund the change). After hearing so many times on the forums how the short throw polishers need thin pads to rotate, I immediately chocked up the (new) 5" plate and my BOSS pads. Through the course of the detail, I actually found the machine quite liked running the plain (thick) 6.5" Griot`s pads. There`s a pretty complex profile on the edges of the hood/front fender area, and with the 6.5" orange pad it maintained rotation just fine.

When I first got the G9, I ran both it and the GG6 at speed 6 in the air to compare volume. I was kinda bummed to find the G9 wasn`t much (if any? it`s been a while now) quieter. But, when it came time to put pad to paint, the G9 was in fact quieter/smoother to use because you could run a lower speed to accomplish the same result.

The only only oddity I ran into was when it came time to brush/clean pads. Usually I`d set my GG6 to 2 or 3 and brush the surface off. The G9 with it`s digital speed controller needs to have the speed up higher to keep the pad going in the air. Again, that`s only in the air, and only for pad cleaning. Running against the paint that speed controller is seamless/awesome.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information