Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time to upgrade my polisher. Advice needed.

I`ve only been at this a few years and have only polished maybe a 10 or so vehicles. All of them with the thought of once step enhancement, not correction. Was using the GG6 with the recommendation of LC thin pro pads. Had been itching to pickup a 15mm Rupes but something just didn`t sit right with me on them and never pulled the trigger. Not a chance in hell I`d spend more than $50 on a Chinesium tool either. Kept reading on the forums how the G15 was equally as good and I`m usually not swayed by a lifetime warranty but I kept seeing how Griots actually honors said warranty so I bought it.

The G15 has a much better user experience than the GG6, besides it makes a good sidekick with a 3" pad on it, usually one step up in cutting than the pad I`m running on the G15 in case i just need a bump in cut, plus the obvious smaller pad for tighter spots. The G15 runs smooth, I`ve used BOSS pads on it mostly orange and yellow and they`ve done what I`ve needed them to do. The G15 is a real treat to use, can easily run it with one had like trying to reach the middle of a roof or when you need a hand for something else. Can`t comment on it`s noise level to other machines but I am able to listen to audiobooks through my earbuds with no issues. Can`t say I`ve run into issues keeping it spinning either, again if the angle is weird the 3" GG6 comes out to help.

Don`t recall what the price was when I picked it up, the new Griots G15 price makes it a no brainer.

Post Thanks / Like

For me, I try to be a do it once, do it right...
    I`ve had too many experiences with "The high cost of saving money"
    If it were me, I`d go with a Rupes 21 with a 5" backing plate and you will not regret your purchase.

"Quality lives on long after the price is forgotten"!

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Last gen Griots g15. I helped a friend do his mustang for a coating and he had a gg6. Got my side done faster (by a panel) it’s smoother and did not lack in power.

With the lifetime warranty and half the cost of a Rupes I decided on the BOSS. Absolutely no regrets. If a Rupes is smoother, well I had no issues with vibrations or fatigue using it.

I’m a hobbyist tho so i’m Ok if machine goes out beinf w/o it for a few weeks. Also maybe the added smoothness would be good if i were doing multiple cars a day but i’m not that good or fast.

The other issue that stop me from buying a Rupes was I read alot about stalling issues. The Rupes guys would always talk about technique but i’m a noob and don’t do enough cars to hone my technique.

Also if improved technique works well on a machine with stall issues how much better would it be on one that doesn’t stall?

Notes: I have not used a g9 and these new LT Boss polishers may not be anything like the old.

Also my comparisons and things i read about rupes were when the Mark II was it. I have not researched Mark III as it was not an option when I bought my Boss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
    For me, I try to be a do it once, do it right...
    I`ve had too many experiences with "The high cost of saving money"
    If it were me, I`d go with a Rupes 21 with a 5" backing plate and you will not regret your purchase.

"Quality lives on long after the price is forgotten"!
    yep, buy once, cry once
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    yep, buy once, cry once

...and then be happy for a long, long time!

AMiracleDetailing.com
    YouTube - Facebook - Instagram
    Likes jrock645 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Qs for those with experience using the 21mm throws- no issues with that throw being too much for areas that aren`t really broad? How does it finish out?

Post Thanks / Like

That brings up a good question. Which finishes out better between a 15mm through or a traditional DA like the G9, or is there any real difference? I typically keep my vehicles in good enough shape I can do a one-step with the right pad and product combo.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- That was something I`d wondered about too. When I asked the GG rep he said the BOSS15 would finish out every bit as nicely as the smaller-throw units. And I did stress that I was talking about infinitesimal diffs that the average person could never notice. (I absolutely do notice that the finish my Flex 3401 leaves isn`t up to my standards no matter what pad/product I use.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Qs for those with experience using the 21mm throws- no issues with that throw being too much for areas that aren`t really broad? How does it finish out?
    I love my G21 with a 5” backing plate setup. I don’t run into any issues where I think it’s too much. The hood of my Camaro has some pretty sloped areas on each side. I can’t run it right down the middle, but it’s easy enough to rn paths that accomplish polishing the entire surface. I like trying different machine. I’ve had the Rupes Mark II 15 and 21 and the G15 and 21. I sold both the 15’s. I like the 5” setup on the 21 much better. I bought a new Rupes 21 Mark III and unfortunately it was the second new a Rupes Machine I had issues with, rather than go through what I went through with the first one I pitched it. I plan on buying the new version G21 so I’ll have a backup 21 mm machine.
    The finish I get from it is incredible!

Post Thanks / Like

DaveT435- Ah, appreciate the feedback!

Maybe my view of the potential issues with the longer stroke are partly influence by how I can only use certain (and pretty short-throw) polishers on numerous areas of my Jag, at least if I want things nice and uniform.

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest a Flex 3401 or the newer version. No worries about pad stalling. You can actually edge with to use on thinner panels. It may be more physical on you but it can do some serious correction fast.

On the other hand most quality long throw polishers have a much more user friendly experience but you ha e pad stalling to worry about.

Be nice if you can try both styles and then make your own choice.

As far as an 8mm vs a 15 mm for finishing capabilities, there are very few times when I feel a 8mm will finish better. This is always on soft sensitive paint. I’m sure if I played with speeds and technique, I could make the 15mm work but it’s just easier for me to grab the old PC. My PC doesn’t see much use anymore.
    Likes dwaleke liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Desertnate- That was something I`d wondered about too. When I asked the GG rep he said the BOSS15 would finish out every bit as nicely as the smaller-throw units. And I did stress that I was talking about infinitesimal diffs that the average person could never notice. (I absolutely do notice that the finish my Flex 3401 leaves isn`t up to my standards no matter what pad/product I use.)
    I hate a Rupes 15 and a 21. After a while, I just didn’t see much use in the 21 so I sold it. 21 might correct more area, but the 15 seemed to correct a slightly smaller area more quickly so it just seemed more efficicient. Also, the 21 wasn’t that good to me when dealing with smaller areas. 21 could have its place, but def not as your only polisher. If you’re just getting one, get a 15.

The only 8mm I ever used was a 3401 I had for a while and sold. Great, very capable machine, but some people aren’t happy with the finish. For me, it just beat me up too much after getting used to a Rupes, and my back doesn’t need to take any more of a beating- been through plenty, thanks.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Ah, so some people *have* had the issues I wondered about with the 21! Guess this is just gonna be one of those (legitimately) subjective things where different subjects are gonna have different takes.

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645
    The only 8mm I ever used was a 3401 I had for a while and sold. Great, very capable machine, but some people aren’t happy with the finish...
    -AND-

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz
    I would suggest a Flex 3401 or the newer version. No worries about pad stalling. You can actually edge with to use on thinner panels. It may be more physical on you but it can do some serious correction fast...As far as an 8mm vs a 15 mm for finishing capabilities, there are very few times when I feel a 8mm will finish better. This is always on soft sensitive paint. I’m sure if I played with speeds and technique, I could make the 15mm work but it’s just easier for me to grab the old PC. My PC doesn’t see much use anymore.
    As regulars here know, I love the Flex 3401 for serious correction, but have never had it finish out OK. I don`t mind its, uhm...user unfriendliness..but there`s no way I could have it as my only unit.

Dr Oldz- I gather you follow up with the 15 or even the PC after using the Flex, right? I`ve never tried the Flex on soft paint, but given how it finishes on hard clear I imagine it`s pretty bad on anything truly soft.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator.,

I will often, as you said, cut with the 3401, the CBEAST (or a rotary). Then finish down with the Flex Finisher or sometimes an 8mm free spinning DA is the paint is sensitive. While I can usually get the 3401 to finish OK, there are times it doesn’t finish to perfection on some paints. . Also after cutting, I like the easy ride of the free spinning DA.

When it comes to AIO jobs, it’s the 3401 or CBeast.

I agree with you as the 3401 as not an only machine but the OP has a polisher that will be able to follow it up and finish down flawlessly for him.
    Likes dwaleke liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for keeping the conversation going. Even more to consider.

The Flex and Rupes polishers are really more than what I want to spend, but the nuances of 15 vs 21 vs 8mm throws has been educational to say the least. Dr. Oldz`s comment regarding the better finish with the 8mm machine on soft paint really caught my interest. The two of the three vehicles in our family fleet with the most flat, open area where a bigger throw might really come into their own both have really soft paint I can easily correct with a medium pad and finishing polish. I`d hate to turn a one step job into two steps. If I was to turn my current DA into a 3" polisher, I`d lose the ability to bounce between a longer throw and short throw without having to constantly swap backing plates.

Hmmmm. More things to consider.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information