Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rust like stain on hood of car

Fair enough, thanks I will post back after I try Iron X paste.

Post Thanks / Like

Dent05- I dunno if it can/should be abraded away (that`s the kind of incorrect approach that might`ve been responsible for it being the way it is), but I`d absolutely be using one of the suggested chemicals made for Ferrous Contamination. I would *NOT* assume it`s permanent and even if it is a proper chemical decontamination will help prevent it from getting worse. "Rust never sleeps" really does apply even to this one. It might not be "under" the clear, but it`s definitely *IN* the clear, and it`s not gonna quit until/unless it`s neutralized.

OTOH, if you don`t care then you don`t care, and I`m all in favor of people setting their own standards instead of suffering the Curse of Autopia where everything has to be perfect all the time.
    Likes dwaleke, Ron Ketcham liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like it is under the paint to me. If it is then it is doubtful that Iron-X will remove it. I would take it back to the dealer and ask them about it. Unfortunately most dealers are pretty ignorant when it comes to paint defects. Even if they know what it is they may just say “bad luck, you bought it”. If the rubbing compound did nothing and Iron-X fails, you may have to live with it. Be careful with the rubbing compound unless you are using a polisher. Rubbing compound on a towel can go through clearcoat very fast (I have done it) and then you will have a dull spot there too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    It looks like it is under the paint to me. If it is then it is doubtful that Iron-X will remove it. I would take it back to the dealer and ask them about it. Unfortunately most dealers are pretty ignorant when it comes to paint defects. Even if they know what it is they may just say “bad luck, you bought it”. If the rubbing compound did nothing and Iron-X fails, you may have to live with it. Be careful with the rubbing compound unless you are using a polisher. Rubbing compound on a towel can go through clearcoat very fast (I have done it) and then you will have a dull spot there too.
    Thanks for the reply I believe it is under the clear coat and will not come out. I took it to a body shop and had the estimator look at it. He said it appears to be under the clear coat. He tried to get it out with compound and it did not work. He also said he would not do anything with it. I would need a new paint job and he also said he did not think it was going to get worse. That was his recommendation. Essentially leave it, it is small and really not noticeable unless you know it is there. I have a moon roof as well so painting would require that to be taken down. When I go to the dealer for my next service I will bring it up to them. I will still try Iron X waiting for a delivery but I have no hope that it will work.

If remember right I had a similar issue with my silver Subaru legacy on the hood with the same kind of discoloration that I could never get out.

Thank for the advice

Post Thanks / Like

You were correct I tried IronX Paste today and it did nothing at all. I will live with it since it is very small. When I take in my car for service I will show it to them.

Thanks for your help

Post Thanks / Like

Dent95- Well, I`m sorry you weren`t able to resolve it, but at least you`ve knowingly gone through all the proper motions and made an informed determination. If you get a chance, post back about what, if anything, they say when you point it out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information