Post Thanks / Like

Pressure washer questions

OK Im at my whits end with pressure washers lol. Id like to ask those who use electric pressure washers.

When you are washing the car do you just leave the PW on with pressure built up the whole time and just grab the gun when needed and spray?
    OR
    Do you spray, then turn the switch off each time until needed again then turn on and spray then back off???

Sounds like a stupid question but I went through a Ryobi 1600 in 1 year and the last Greenworks 1600 only went 3 months. So Im thinking I have GOT to be doing something wrong!!! What do you all do????
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pressure washer questions

When I had a SunJoe (which is still running for over three years now at a friends) I only ever flipped the switch off if the inlet hose wasn`t flowing water. At $100-150 I think they`re just built to be disposable.
    Likes dcjredline liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gorram View Post
    When I had a SunJoe (which is still running for over three years now at a friends) I only ever flipped the switch off if the inlet hose wasn`t flowing water. At $100-150 I think they`re just built to be disposable.
    Thanks for your input man!!!
    Don

1989 Formula 350

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been running a SunJoe SPX3000 for two years without an issue. I`ve never shut mine off while using it. Not sure about the Ryobi or the Greenworks, but the SunJoe shuts the pump off when you release the trigger....maybe that helps then last longer? I highly recommend this unit.....it`s worked very well for me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    I`ve been running a SunJoe SPX3000 for two years without an issue. I`ve never shut mine off while using it. Not sure about the Ryobi or the Greenworks, but the SunJoe shuts the pump off when you release the trigger....maybe that helps then last longer? I highly recommend this unit.....it`s worked very well for me
    Thank you for your response!!! Yeah they both shut the pumps off when the trigger wasnt pulled. Each one of them would eventually not sit there quiet, they would have to pump pressure up (run the pump for a sec) every 3-6 minutes and it got really annoying. Does yours do that?
    Don

1989 Formula 350

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Don

I’ve got the Ryobi 1600 as well, mine does the same thing where it cycles even without pulling the trigger. Mine made it just over 2 years, but it didn’t see a ton of use. Don’t forget it’s got a 3 year warranty if you still have the receipt (or can get your store to reprint it for you).

Planning on bringing mine in soon, I’ll report back how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    Hey Don

I’ve got the Ryobi 1600 as well, mine does the same thing where it cycles even without pulling the trigger. Mine made it just over 2 years, but it didn’t see a ton of use. Don’t forget it’s got a 3 year warranty if you still have the receipt (or can get your store to reprint it for you).

Planning on bringing mine in soon, I’ll report back how it goes.
    The Ryobi is long gone lol, trashed it. Im trying to get a hold of Greenworks cause they also have a 3 yr but no luck so far, I have to call Monday and see. I currently own a GW 2000psi for a month and so far so good. Im thinking cause I used to turn it off all the time then back on I may have caused my own problems so for this new one I am just going to turn it on and leave it till I am done using it for more than 30 min.
    Don

1989 Formula 350

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Thank you for your response!!! Yeah they both shut the pumps off when the trigger wasnt pulled. Each one of them would eventually not sit there quiet, they would have to pump pressure up (run the pump for a sec) every 3-6 minutes and it got really annoying. Does yours do that?
    My AR was doing that. I found that using good fittings and using Teflon tape on them helps. Even though the machine may not be leaking water, it might be losing a bit of pressure, which the causes the machine to run for a second.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Britsdaddy View Post
    My AR was doing that. I found that using good fittings and using Teflon tape on them helps. Even though the machine may not be leaking water, it might be losing a bit of pressure, which the causes the machine to run for a second.
    Ya know, Maybe I will try to remove the swivels (cheapies) but I always do use teflon tape on my fittings (and make sure that it doesnt cover the opening at all). Good suggestions THANK YOU SIR!!!!
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    Likes Britsdaddy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    I`ve not had that issue. To be fair, it does not get used a lot, but easily as much as the average user. It gets run for small power washing jobs, and for washing cars when I break out the foam cannon.

Post Thanks / Like

Have this one for about 1.5 years doesn’t have auto shut off which was a big thing i thought but realized its about 10 steps to walk over and shut it off.

I spray car down.
    Add foam cannon and spray.
    Shut off and let dwell
    Rinse
    turn off
    Wash
    Rinse again.

I went with this because 2300 psi and 1.2 gpm. Enough gpm to get great foam with MTM foam cannon and 2300 psi good for general outside cleaning and drive way.

Another plus over cheaper Green Works and Ryobi’s is this has a brushless motor. More durable. I think getting a better pressure washer with a brushless motor would be a good start. Mine gets used 2-4 times a month 9 months out of the year and no hiccups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

dcjredline- Just a probably useless thought, but FWIW...Noting that I`m *still* using the bottom-end AR that my wife got me for Christmas years ago, and it`s still working perfectly for my carwashes...

I only use it for a pre-rinse, to get the big stuff off. Then I disconnect the hose from it (for use with the foamguns) although I usually leave it plugged in. It seldom cycles if I leave it hooked up to the hose, but I dunno if that`s related to its limited use or not.

I don`t *want*/like using it to rinse as I find that volume trumps pressure for that; I actually rinse more effectively with a regular hose than I do with the PW.

I guess that`s of zero use to you and eh...isn`t even really on-topic, but anyhow....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Have this one for about 1.5 years doesn’t have auto shut off which was a big thing i thought but realized its about 10 steps to walk over and shut it off.

I spray car down.
    Add foam cannon and spray.
    Shut off and let dwell
    Rinse
    turn off
    Wash
    Rinse again.

I went with this because 2300 psi and 1.2 gpm. Enough gpm to get great foam with MTM foam cannon and 2300 psi good for general outside cleaning and drive way.

Another plus over cheaper Green Works and Ryobi’s is this has a brushless motor. More durable. I think getting a better pressure washer with a brushless motor would be a good start. Mine gets used 2-4 times a month 9 months out of the year and no hiccups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And the brushless is probably a little quieter? Thanks for the recommendation
    Don

1989 Formula 350

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    dcjredline- Just a probably useless thought, but FWIW...Noting that I`m *still* using the bottom-end AR that my wife got me for Christmas years ago, and it`s still working perfectly for my carwashes...

I only use it for a pre-rinse, to get the big stuff off. Then I disconnect the hose from it (for use with the foamguns) although I usually leave it plugged in. It seldom cycles if I leave it hooked up to the hose, but I dunno if that`s related to its limited use or not.

I don`t *want*/like using it to rinse as I find that volume trumps pressure for that; I actually rinse more effectively with a regular hose than I do with the PW.

I guess that`s of zero use to you and eh...isn`t even really on-topic, but anyhow....
    Actually it is good info, I was looking more for what people do and that seemed to have gotten lost. I am going to have to take into consideration doing the rinse with just hose cause I can see your point. I just did a Ram this weekend and left the switch on with pressure the whole time and my current GW doesnt do the bump every 6 min yet so maybe I will just leave it on from now on unless I adopt your rinse method!!!
    Don

1989 Formula 350

Thread Information